PDA

View Full Version : 416

jello
10-18-2002, 12:29 PM
Ok, i just bought a 400ex and im lookin to do some work to it.... Whats the cheapest but still really good 416 kit? also what else do i need besides the kit you suggest? How much should my total cost be? I have owned and moded quads before but not like this so all the help would be great. Also i live in az so if there is a good reputable shop here i could take it to that you reccomend then please tell me. Last question is this somthing i can do myself or should i have someone else do it.... Im leaning toward having someone else do it.

Jello

Ex'r Marlin
10-18-2002, 02:15 PM
If you want to do the work yourself, I suggest keeping the stock bore and getting a higher compression piston... Like a 10.5 to 1. You can also get a "drop in" cam that with some instructions, you should be able to do this yourself, but getting the engine out and opening it up... You may wish to have someone there to help you!

Note: This is the cheapest way.... Just the cost of the parts.

If you get the 406 or higher, I recommend having someone experienced do this mod for you.

Note: Depending on all the mods you have done will determine the cost of the parts and labor.

Are you planning on going with an aftermarket exhaust too? I recommend one if you are planning on going with a 10.8 to 1 or higher compression.

Note: It is recommended when you go to a 11:1 compression or higher piston, to start using race gas.

jello
10-18-2002, 08:08 PM
ok, i still want to go 416:D i will also get an exhaust... So just about how much is this going to cost me... add 400$ for the exhaust

I do not want to buy a full tank of race gas everytime I ride. I mean i guess i could if the performance is just wayyyy better but otherwise i would like to stay usin premium

Thanks

Jello

Sick0
10-19-2002, 11:28 AM
I think 11:1 piston on need mixed gas. half race and half pump gas.

skemp
10-19-2002, 11:57 AM
Honestly, boring to a larger displacement in a 4-stroke doesn't do too much. When people modify their motors, it is mostly the compression increase that is felt. The bore does add a little bit of power, but my personal thoughts are that if you don't have to bore it (scored/damaged or out of spec cylinder walls) don't bore it. Just put in a high compression piston and a good cam, and you should be pleased. Personally, I had to bore because the clearances were getting a little loose.

Sick0
10-19-2002, 12:11 PM
A smaller piston maybe better than a bigger one any was because its will revver faster because of the weight. I yhink thats why alot of poeple are going to a 416 instead of the 440 in MX. When I get my done in a few weeks I would reather have the quad revver faster than have more top end.