PDA

View Full Version : oil in airbox need help ASAP

QIKLTR
06-05-2007, 05:28 PM
my friends LTR has a large amount of oil in the airbox and is blowing white smoke out the exhaust. at first we thought he blew a headgasket because we had not yet discovered the oil in the airbox. what would cause this? i am assuming the white smoke is caused by oil getting sucked through the throttle body causing the smoke and causing the plug to foul.

LTR450_#67
06-05-2007, 05:48 PM
White smoke is in most cases is coolant. Oil would be a light blue. I'm guessing on the head gasket blowing. Oil in the airbox may be due to "blow by", which is pressure blowing past the rings creating a great amount crankcase pressure therefore blowing oil from the crankcase breather in to the airbox.....So tell him quit riding it.

I'm no pro wrench but thats what I think.....

Aaron

QIKLTR
06-05-2007, 05:53 PM
sounds just like the diagnosis i gave him. you just worded it alot better than i did. he deffinately isnt riding it. its going back to suzuki dealer tomorrow. thanks for the help and it sounds like your a pretty good wrench to me!

LTR450_#67
06-05-2007, 06:13 PM
No problem.....I do my best. I like helping when I can.

Aaron

madsteam
06-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Do any of you guys know why an engine would smoke only sometimes? Would overheating cause it to smoke? Its not a ltr its a raptor 350 i havent got any repls yet in the raptor info section so i thouhgt i ask you guys.If it over heats would it still run? It doesnt smoke at start up or even runing it for a while just sometimes its light blue smoke.
It has stock jetting and when i noticed it smoking i was in the mountains high altitude maybe it could of been black smoke would this be a possibility if its running rich/lean. Well thanks if i get any advice or help.

asjr39
06-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Two things could cause this problem from what I am hearing from others. 1st is its a Yamaha, 2nd its a Raptor. Well hope this helps.

But on a serious note, it could be your jetting. If its stock jets and you are going to higher altitude then it would definetly run leaner. try making it a little rich. But you are also asking a bunch of guys that have FI.

diangelo#67
06-06-2007, 07:29 AM
rings

CdaleXtreme
06-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Mario is right. Your rings are smoked. Its called riding with a dirty air filter, and clapped out oil.

culichi
06-06-2007, 02:29 PM
i burned my clutch on my ltr. ten back home i turned my bike on and it started to trhow white smoke... what do you think it is?

QIKLTR
06-06-2007, 07:42 PM
whats up with all of u thread jackers...start your own thread