PDA

View Full Version : Home from Iraq...need advice

USMC1STSGT
06-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Hi Everyone! I bought a new 04 450R in November of 2004. I got on this website and got my performance advice so I immediately installed an HRC kit and a Dr D slip on and air filter. I rode the bike 2 times and then deployed to Iraq twice with NO riding in between deployments....long story short, I have about 5 hrs total riding time on the quad. I got back last week and thought I would check in and see whats new. Surprise, theres a new model of 450R......Anyway, Im off to Oregon Dunes next month and want to make sure my bike is ready so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any new upgrade advice for me. Heres a couple of questions

1. I have read a lot of posts on here about exhaust and no one even mentions Dr D at all, (but they sure love the Rossier) is there something wrong with them?

2. Also, when I bought mine, everyone was saying the stock headpipe was good, is this no longer true, I see that for the 06 and newer models headpipes are essential, how about my 2004?

3. My engine is virtually brand new, do you recommend a new piston? if so, which one. My bike runs perfectly now, so will changing the piston cause me to need to rejet? Im a little leary of messing with a good running bike.

4. How about the rekluse clutch? I ride sand only, dunes and light trails do you recommend it?

5. Any other advice?

I guess I dont really need anything at this time, but I feel like I owe it to my bike to give her an upgrade for making her wait nearly 2 years to be ridden.......thanks, Gary

Pappy
06-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Welcome home 1st SGT;)

Gas and oil and ride it!

whiteboycustom
06-05-2007, 03:55 PM
welcome home Top, i say so a service on her lube her up good and u will be set, get u a nice set of skat trac paddles and ride the piss out of her

u dont need a piston but it wont hurt to slap a higher compression piston in,if u want to keep pump gas keep her at 12:1 if u want race gas get u a 14:1, as far as ur exhaust its just a slip on so your not getting the full affect, a rossier is a full exhaust and u will notice a huge difference, i say get a rossier u wont regret it,

do u plan on sand drags or just dune riding????

contact ken at kbmotorsports he can hook u up with what u need

USMC1STSGT
06-05-2007, 04:30 PM
I will be doing a little racing, mostly just family though, but my 16 y/o nephew just got an 06, so I need to be faster than him! and, I use sand skate II's with razors in the front.

Thanks for the advice, you guys are probably right, I should leave it alone. This always happens to me, I took my 400ex to the shop to get new bars and wound up with a 440 kit and edelbrock carb, so I can definately get out of control if Im not careful.

I want it to be super fast, but run perfect and be reliable, which it already does!

Gary

whiteboycustom
06-05-2007, 05:04 PM
do a service, new 13:1 piston, full rossier exhaust, and either get ur shocks revalved or get some nice aftermarket shocks and a-arms and swing arm and thats about it,

that 06 already has some better goodies, 12:1 piston and a 12tooth front sprocket ur 04 has a 13

go over to trx450. org they have tons of sand riding info and good motor info too

450rJam
06-05-2007, 08:22 PM
welcome back home

06/07=13 tooth counter sprocket stock
04/05=14 tooth counter sprocket stock

lube her up and get it

USMC1STSGT
06-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Do you think that there is a noticable difference between my stock headpipe with a Dr D(which I have now) and a full Rossier system?

oldskoolex400
06-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by USMC1STSGT
Do you think that there is a noticable difference between my stock headpipe with a Dr D(which I have now) and a full Rossier system?

no, everyone on here is going to say there is, its not worth swiching once you have a s/o unless u just have money to burn, i would get my shocks rebuild or up comp to 12:1 did you get the full HRC?

USMC1STSGT
06-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by oldskoolex400
no, everyone on here is going to say there is, its not worth swiching once you have a s/o unless u just have money to burn, i would get my shocks rebuild or up comp to 12:1 did you get the full HRC?

Yes, I had the full HRC(Cam, needle, airbox lid) installed.

a couple of people have suggested having the shocks rebuilt, is it really that big of a difference?

06-05-2007, 11:42 PM
first let me thank you!

revalved shocks will be a night and day difference

oldskoolex400
06-06-2007, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
first let me thank you!

revalved shocks will be a night and day difference

i also meant to thank you sir. i meant to in my first post. good to have you back from foreign soil.

yes shocks will make a world of a difference, i think it will be one of the next things i do also.

whiteboycustom
06-06-2007, 06:39 AM
ok i was wrong on the sprockets thanks for correcting that

revalve on theshocks for u will do wonders, ive been told many times a suspension revalved for u is faster then tons of motor work, u have to be able to take the rough terrain and thats where suspension comes in

as far as exhaust if u have the cash get a full exhaust, the s/o is ok but u cant compare it to a full exhaust

straight from rossier's webpage-full rossier,aftermarket cam,aftermarket filter u will see a 9hp gain.......i dont think a slip on can do that for u

USMC1STSGT
06-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the "Welcome Home" Gents!

Who should I send my shocks to for revalving?

thanks,

Gary

06-06-2007, 07:52 AM
gt thunder is quick and thorough, but his personality is a little lacking...

derisi racing is very good also, witha great personality

c&d racing is in line with them in quality and they are very friendly and helpful also...plus they are site sponsors...

ratso
06-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Welcome Back and Thanks for your service to our country. Are you going to dunefest in Oregon? I had a HMF slip on with a HRC head pipe and now a rossier I can't feel any power differance. The rossier fits,looks, and is just made better.

400exrider707
06-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
gt thunder is quick and thorough, but his personality is a little lacking...

derisi racing is very good also, witha great personality

c&d racing is in line with them in quality and they are very friendly and helpful also...plus they are site sponsors...

Anyone of of these three can do a great job. I have C&D rebuilds on the front of mine and a GT Thunder rebuild with a GT Thunder linkage on the rear... rides like a caddy and still soaks up the big hits, but the handling and center of gravity are much better now with the lowered stance. Def the best money spent.

exrider44
06-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Welcome home and thanks! I would defintely change the rear linkage and get the shock revalved its like night and day when you ride. You wont get bucked off going thru the whoops

Sjorge450R
06-06-2007, 07:35 PM
derisi is a great guy and I am sure he will help you out big time! He will be getting my shocks sometime after June 25th. I need another break from racing for him to have 2 weeks to redo them. he only takes like 1 week, but i'd rather have my shocks back in time.