PDA

View Full Version : need help motor noise...

bigbuck90
06-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Hello,i just bought a 05 z 400.When ever i run eather in nutrol or in gear.At about 1/3 throttle it has like a knocking sound.Its not really loud but u can hear it.It sounds like its coming from the front of the motor.If i go past 1/3 throttle it goes away.I just changed the oil to maxima 15-50.So it shouldnt be that.Also i took the cam chain tensioner out and it had 3 clicks left.I have an apoint to have a new cam chain and the clutch cover recall to be fixed.So Do u guy's think its the chain or somthing else like.Piston slap,ext ext??

YFZ450Ridr
06-05-2007, 09:48 PM
my guess is either the valves or cam chain being stretched which both happend to my old z and it ticked. once they put in the new cam chain tell them to adjust the valves back to spec also. if it still ticks then anyones guess is as good as mine.

starfckerinc57
06-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Most likely the cam chain. I just replaced mine a few weeks ago because it was making a knockin sound.

soberagain150
06-06-2007, 12:02 AM
the z400's the kfx400's and the dvx400's are notorious for cam chain noise, valve noise, or cam chain tensioner. ur valves might need to be adjusted. or ur cam chain might be stretched. or ur cam chain tensioner might be stretched all the way out therefore u might need a new cam chain. won know till ya open it up...