PDA

View Full Version : new quad

bearball12
06-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Looking for some different opinions....I have 2 kids, 1 is 10(60lbs) and is small for his age, the other is 8(50 lbs) and also small for his age. Both have Polaris Predator 50s and I am looking to upgrade them both to 90s. They have both expressed a slight interest in racing as there is a local track nearby were we go to watch races some times. Both of them like to go trail riding also and get muddy. I have been looking and reading what I can about the new Polaris 90, Honda TRX90, DRR 90, and the Apex 90mxr. I am curious to hear what some of you that have these quads think about the pros and cons of each..especially with the new 90s that have come out this year. Also leaning a little more towards the 4 strokes because it seems everything is going that way and need these to last for a few years. Thanks ahead of time for input.

BradLoomis
06-05-2007, 12:14 AM
You need to weigh out more which is your main focus: Competitive racing or trail mud riding.

The Honda will be hands down the most dependable and with parts available, if it should fail, at any Honda dealership. The Honda can be made to race very competative with any 2 stroke out there. LOTS of aftermarket race go fast stuff... just have a REALLY fat wallet because it will be expensive to build, but should last forever.

The Polaris Outlaw is too new and has to prove its design and manufacturing process flaws, beings this is the first year. Also since it is not built by Polaris, who really knows how long it will be around and easy to get parts for. Polaris may still be around in five years... but that doesn't mean the overseas company building them will be. It doesn't have any aftermarket motor stuff that I know of and just a few things suspension wise.

Now if racing is more the choice... both DRR and Apex are great starter bikes that can get you competative pretty much right off the show room floor. Both these bikes stock will hammer any stock Honda or Polaris in a race. The bad point is neither of these bikes will take the mud and water like the Honda will.
Sorry I couldn't give you more of an answer you could use.

ecmini1
06-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Brad has great advice.
I prefer the DRR for its best all around use its wide so its stable, has lots of upgrades over the other minis your looking at and DRR is great with customer support and will be around for a long time. The other minis are either to stock (honda,polaris) to much to get it competitive $ or more race (Apex) no elec. start. The DRR is has just enough to keep it user frendly or just enough to be competitive on the track and is a great price new. Hope this helps you.

jread14
06-05-2007, 10:32 AM
My son went from a Polaris 50 like your kids to a DRR 50 and there is a night and day difference. He went from getting lapped in his first race to getting 4th out of 12 kids in his second race. So, my vote is for the DRR 90. I promise your kids wont be disapointed.

mxdad
06-05-2007, 11:44 AM
For racing I would suggest the DRR as well but for trail/mud I have to agree with Brad to go with the Honda.

Nichols Atvs
06-05-2007, 12:15 PM
We went from a polaris which we got last most of the time to a DRR DRXII 50 to hes getting 3 firsts a second and a third huge improvment . and he wants to ride it all the time. The polaris had no suspension and all he did was bounce around .also the width made it so much more stable, he now likes to slide the corners so he can keep the R's up. My sugestion is DRR 90 all the others need up grades the Drr has standard 44 inch front stance performance pipe , racing clutches and kids soft suspension.
add it all together if you buy somthing else you need to come up
with another 1500-2000 and in your case X 2 . Ask us any questions you will get an honest answer or feel free to search archives.

forgiven
06-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Just for what you get for the dollar I really like our drr90. It is a lot of bike for the money. There have been a few nagging little issues but if I had to do it all over again I would do the DRR. I am going to get something made for the water etc to protect the air filter, but have not had problems as of yet with the outerware. 44" wide, aftermarket pipe, 24mm carb, dual a-arm suspension, razor mx front tires, and a nifty stock bumper in the front.

We came from an 06 predator 90 which would be destroyed if my son kept riding it. Other than not having reverse (which it doesn't sound like you are worried about) it is perfect for us.

bearball12
06-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the replies...most of you confirmed what I had already come up with reading different forums and talking to people. My biggest concern with the DRR was how it would hold up on the trail/mud that my oldest cant seem to get enough of(Sure wish he would spend as much time cleaning it as he does getting it dirty..lol). But the money to upgrade the Honda/Polaris if they did enjoy racing would drive me to the poor house. Well at least I have 1 to 2 more months to figure it out before I have the money to get them their new quads. Any more feedback from people would be greatly appreciated since I am still fairly new to sport(1 1/2 years for me and the kids ). One other question?....is there throttle control that a parent can set on the DRR to keep the kid under control to let him get used to it?;)

Jarhead
06-05-2007, 10:23 PM
We race a 05 Pred 90 in the limited production class and it consistently pulls first and sometimes a secnd place every time out. We had to put a lot into it to make it comparable to what it runs against. It is a very good quad as are all the JOG type mini's. But they were never designed to be run at the extremes we run them at. If I was to do it again from the begining. I would buy a DRX 90 LTD. Too many Apex out there and I like to go against the grain. Our Pred 90 also pulls double duty and sees many hours in the Dunes at Pismo and Glamis. It really shines there and can pull right up comp hill with no problems. We also run it up at Gorman in the trails and mountains. It again does pretty good but requires us to change out some clutching/ sprocket to get a better low end. You will have this problem with all CVT's so I do not see it as a down fall. The DRR's have a well proven platform and will serve your little one s quite well. I would say it is the best decision you could make and requires the least amount of mods to be a all around mini.

Full Throttle00
06-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by bearball12
Thanks for the replies...most of you confirmed what I had already come up with reading different forums and talking to people. My biggest concern with the DRR was how it would hold up on the trail/mud that my oldest cant seem to get enough of(Sure wish he would spend as much time cleaning it as he does getting it dirty..lol). But the money to upgrade the Honda/Polaris if they did enjoy racing would drive me to the poor house. Well at least I have 1 to 2 more months to figure it out before I have the money to get them their new quads. Any more feedback from people would be greatly appreciated since I am still fairly new to sport(1 1/2 years for me and the kids ). One other question?....is there throttle control that a parent can set on the DRR to keep the kid under control to let him get used to it?;)

There is a thumb throttle bolt that you can limit and adjust it as he/she needs more speed.
FYI, just got finished putting together the newest 70, 90, & 300cc
DRX quads

70cc very peppy stock, then added clutch mods and watch it really come to life. Good for 7-9 yr old kids

90cc I don't see that any changes were made, but... this thing rips sooo fast that I even scared myself. I am 6' & 285. With my fat $%@ in this thing even scared me. Seemed to take off like it had a power band or something. Can not wait to see what this does on the track. I feel it will be faster than many if not all of the modified bikes on the track.
No mods yet only bone stock {will give a race report when we find a test rider}

My recomendation is for the new DRX & keep about $1k in your wallet to spend on other stuff.

wvspeedfreak
06-09-2007, 12:39 PM
A question to all the drr owners:When did they start making them 44" wide?I have an '07 drr 90 LTD and it is only 41" wide.Was it a mid-year change?

jetski_dawg
06-10-2007, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
A question to all the drr owners:When did they start making them 44" wide?I have an '07 drr 90 LTD and it is only 41" wide.Was it a mid-year change?

i have the same one as you do.. after i bought it, i heard they came out with the wider one and better engine design set back where you dont have to darn near pull the engine to change the sparkplug..just my luck.. i would have waited had i known

Hoggr9
06-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Let me know what you think.

riding4fun
06-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak

March 2007. I know this because we received one from the first shipment in. At least that's what my dealer said.

H440exconfused
07-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Can someone please answer me, is the DRR the same quad as stock acrtic cat 90, are they the same quad, built by the same people?????

ww228king
07-06-2007, 12:44 PM
arctic cat is made by Kymco....Back in 2003 and earlier, the Kymco, Arctic Cat, and the DRR was the same, but DRR is a whole different quad now. Kymco is making Kawasakiand Arctics Cat minis now To answer you question...No!!!! Arctic Cat and DRR are not the same anymore. check out the site below to compare parts

http://www.alpha-sports.com/arctic_cat_atv_parts.htm

ww228king
07-06-2007, 12:49 PM
if you look on the cylinder diagram on the 2007 DVX 90.......guess what name you will see..................KYMCO!!!!!

hotquads1
07-06-2007, 12:58 PM
for the money the DRR has the most bang for the buck very depedable and reliable due to the rigors of racing. Any of the bikes you mentioned can perform as you need but not for the price of the DRR. but I must admit i am partial .

ww228king
07-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Oh I know!!! DRR has gone to the extreme on makeing a race quad out of the box. For the price, you can't go wrong.