PDA

View Full Version : suspension upgrades

buster024
06-04-2007, 08:44 PM
don't know what happened there....anyway so my original post didn't get much response (hoping it wasn't because it wasn't a real dumb question) soooo....

What are the advantages to paying lots of dough upfront for Elka's etc., if the massive audience says they should be revalved? If you send cheaper brands like Works in to have them re-worked, are you still getting an inferior product compared to a right out of the box Elka?
What's the comparison between a revalved Works products versus a revalved Elka product?:huh

400eXr1d3rZ
06-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Elka is one of the top-notch shocks, where as Works is more of the baseline. Either way it's WAYYYY better than stock. When you buy suspension, they must be built...they get valved while being built for your weight, riding terrain, and front end set-up.

Alright, I didn't understand your question until I read it for a second time. Elka's valving is a little...well...not so good. I'm not too sure about Works. I suggest you send the shock to TCS/Desiri(sp)/C&D Racing/Gt-Thunder. They're well known, and have great feed-back.

buster024
06-04-2007, 09:38 PM
so, if you had the choice to buy re-worked Elkas, or re-worked Steelers (for example), which would you get?

Is it still a no-brainer to get the Elkas if money isn't the issue?

400eXr1d3rZ
06-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by buster024
so, if you had the choice to buy re-worked Elkas, or re-worked Steelers (for example), which would you get?

Is it still a no-brainer to get the Elkas if money isn't the issue?

If money isn't the issue, than I would go for the Elka's, if money is an issue, the Works Steelers are still great shocks, just the Elka's are better.

eliasxr400
06-05-2007, 06:25 PM
I have works steelers on my ex and think they are better than comparable elkas. I have ridden the recreational model of elkas and was not impressed as much as with the steelers. Sure you can get the higher models of elka, but works also has great high end models like the black widows. They are becoming very popular. I saw alot of them on Quads from C to A class this weekend at the race in Wildwood, NJ. My steelers where valved for my weight and riding style when I ordered them so no need to re-valve. C&D racing really helped me to pick the right suspension for my riding, give them a call.

AtvMxRider
06-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Have you looked at other brands besides Elka or Works? TCS makes a great shock.

buster024
06-05-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm definitely open to other brands. I hear Ohlins are sweet, but it doesn't look like they make anything for the 400. Fox Shox seem sweet as well, but their Float models are again only available for the 450. I'm not familiar with TCS, so I'll have to check them out.
Mostly I was just using Works as an example of a lesser expensive product than Elka. I'm dying to really have someone tell me the difference between a revalved Elka, and a revalved "brand x". :ermm:
I'm a picky person on brands, and once I get it in my head that the product may be inferior to another product (Works vs. Elka) I get sketchy about dropping money on them.

400exrider707
06-05-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm definitely open to other brands. I hear Ohlins are sweet, but it doesn't look like they make anything for the 400. Fox Shox seem sweet as well, but their Float models are again only available for the 450. I'm not familiar with TCS, so I'll have to check them out.
Mostly I was just using Works as an example of a lesser expensive product than Elka. I'm dying to really have someone tell me the difference between a revalved Elka, and a revalved "brand x". :ermm:
I'm a picky person on brands, and once I get it in my head that the product may be inferior to another product (Works vs. Elka) I get sketchy about dropping money on them.

Fox makes floats for the 400ex, I've bought two pairs.

mx1791
06-05-2007, 08:07 PM
just so you know, elka really isnt the "best shock out there".. works will feel more plush then elkas, but re-worked elkas would probably be better. and tcs are A LOT better then elkas..

buster024
06-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Fox makes floats for the 400ex, I've bought two pairs.

My apologies. I meant the Float x Evols. The regular Floats (at least according to the website) do not come long travel. You have to step up to the Evols, and those are not avail. for the 400 (again, according to the website).

400exrider707
06-05-2007, 08:27 PM
My apologies. I meant the Float x Evols. The regular Floats (at least according to the website) do not come long travel. You have to step up to the Evols, and those are not avail. for the 400 (again, according to the website).

They make standard travel evol x's as well, though i dont know about for the 400.

I would look into other brands as well like the TCS mentioned or axis, PEP, motowoz. Anything other really.

Even a good set of stock 450R shocks that have been modded to work on your front end

buster024
06-05-2007, 09:19 PM
I'd really never checked out the woz's. They actually look pretty kick arse. Their technology sounds great. I'll do a search, but in the meantime, has anyone had experiences with them?

buster024
06-05-2007, 10:01 PM
an oldie, but interesting nonetheless.

TYayo420
06-05-2007, 10:03 PM
don't forget, if there's a shock that you like but only for the r, dont forget r shocks work on the 400 so you will be fine with the r ones

buster024
06-05-2007, 10:17 PM
http://exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=45015
an oldie, but interesting nonetheless.

buster024
06-05-2007, 10:23 PM
don't forget, if there's a shock that you like but only for the r, dont forget r shocks work on the 400 so you will be fine with the r ones

No offense or anything, but I'm not convinced that I would want to spend that much jack on shocks not made for my bike. Check out this link....I've been down this road.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=247158

400exrider707
06-06-2007, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by TYayo420

Not a good idea.;)

400exrider113
06-06-2007, 09:59 AM
fox shocks will fit if you grind the gusset that goes from the frame to the cross bar that the shocks bolt to

i know this cuz my friend did it

TYayo420
06-06-2007, 12:47 PM
well if it's not a good idea, why is there a sticky about r shocks on a ex? i mean obviously if your buying after markets, buy them for a specific quad there going on, but if there's a brand you like i.e donut shocks, but only for a r, i didn't think it would be a bad idea seeing ppl put stock shocks on a ex. so how come the stock r shocks arent a bad idea?

buster024
06-06-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't think anyone could really say they wouldn't work, but for $200 R shocks, I might take the risk. For $1000 Fox Evols or something similiar....no way. There are plenty of companies out there that do make nice shocks specifically for the 400. It seems a shame to take a chance like that.

buster024
06-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Just an fyi for everyone, I called Motowoz this morning, and they will make front suspension for "any quad out there". I'm pretty geeked on their style, and some of the feature functions seem to be pretty solid. If you haven't already, I'd recommend a quick trip through their "technology 101 & 102" links on their site. :D

http://motowoz.com/

Batavia's450r
06-09-2007, 12:56 PM
ppl use stock shocks because they are cheap you can find them easily off of a R... but who the hell buys after market shocks not machine specific... maybe the fox shocks if they dont make them for the ex