PDA

View Full Version : countershaft splines stripped

gearhead11
06-04-2007, 07:21 PM
has anyone ever had any problems with the splines on the countershaft stripping off? just wondering what may cause this.

d kelley
06-05-2007, 03:10 PM
this seems to be a common problem with the 300's. the replacement shaft is about $100.00 from Honda. I have seen people weld the spocket to the shaft in some cases. i not sure exactly what causes this but we keep new spockets on and it seems to help a little.

dork
06-05-2007, 11:44 PM
running the chain too tight will cause this. it happened to my buddy and he always ran his chain way to tight. to replace the shaft you have to split the cases. you can leave the crank and shift drum in.

redgreen_parker
06-17-2007, 03:13 PM
on my old 250 the splines were stripped but there were some left at the very back of the shaft. so what we did was buy a new sprocket and took a dye grinder and cut a slot in the shaft just in front of where the sprocket would ride and put a snap ring on in the grove. it held through the time i sold the thing and as far as i know it's still going. so this was a cheap and easy fix if there are any splines left on the back of the shaft for you.