PDA

View Full Version : Tdc

ncsmash
06-04-2007, 03:40 PM
okay i am doing a whole top end rebuild and everything is going fine but i just want to make sure i know how to find TDC (top dead center) I have a sparks advanced key so i cant go by the flywheel would i just crank it until i think the piston is at tdc and then put the cam in or does anyone have any other tricks up there sleeves???

JOEX
06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by ncsmash
okay i am doing a whole top end rebuild and everything is going fine but i just want to make sure i know how to find TDC (top dead center) I have a sparks advanced key so i cant go by the flywheel would i just crank it until i think the piston is at tdc and then put the cam in or does anyone have any other tricks up there sleeves???
Remove the spark plug and stick something in the hole. I've used a thin screwdriver or stiff wire, becareful you don't scratch the top of the piston or cylinder wall. Others recommend a wood dowel or straw.

Stick it in the hole and turn the motor over by hand until the piston tops out. It may take a few revolutions to get in the right spot. I don't think it doesn't really has to be 'exactly' at TDC, a few degrees either direction wont have much effect if you're just installing the cam.

CarGuy7a
06-04-2007, 08:30 PM
or when you take the head off (assuming that is what you are going to be doing) you can put a dial indicator on top of the jug and find the true TDC.