PDA

View Full Version : which pipe

Saint18z
06-04-2007, 03:33 PM
ive got an 88 250r bored .80 over cool head w/ 19cc dome pyramid reeds dyntek ignition and a 38mm keihn

i ride a lot of woods and trails, as well as fields

so i am thinking either the trx 5 or the LRD adjustable

thanks guys
Chris

86250rrider
06-04-2007, 04:26 PM
i have two pipes: sparks mx and a paul turner type6.best of both worlds. if the trails arent too tight....i would like a paul turner 89 race, ct midrange,sparks mx. i never tried a esr pipe .the older fmf fatty pipes work well also.

Saint18z
06-04-2007, 08:43 PM
anyone else...any insight would be great

thanks

TheFontMaster
06-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I had a sparks pipe on my 250r when it was running, I rode alot of tight trails, wide open trails, and sand pits, and the pipe worked great. I had a similar motor setup to what u have.

mfr422
06-05-2007, 01:22 AM
saint18z,
You can't go wrong with the type 6, best low end grunt out there, although your a/s will move the hit up a few rpms because it's larger than stock, the lrd is good also. fmf fatty will scream top end with your a/s but won't have the grunt of the type 6. I've tried almost everything over the years except the sanders pipes. I run the type 6 /w stock carb in the woods and bolt on the fatty/38a/s combo for the dunes. those combos are almost polar opposites in power delivery, I ran the fatty and 38 a/s in the woods, but when I put on the type 6, I found the need to use the clutch a lot less, great all around trail runner :D. Putting on my stock carb really made it bark, hitting just above idle and eliminating the clutching out of the corners. Good luck and hope this helps. Roost on

cdrookie
06-05-2007, 05:39 AM
the trx 5 isn't much of a low end pipe. a ct pipe sounds like a good choice for you.

Saint18z
06-05-2007, 08:18 AM
my cousin has a ct on his bike and i didnt really like the way it felt, on the other hand my uncle has a klemm research pipe and i love that thing...but i dont think you can find those anymore. I dont want a purely low end pipe I really want that lowend because the guys I ride with are on 4-stroke ktms and off the line i get destroyed.....but at the same time when I get into the field i really want to fly...is there a good all around pipe?

right now i have a gold series and I am not happy with it.....although it might be a dog because it isnt sealing right....

has anyone had the problem where the curve of the pipe in the front hits the frame?? and because of that the header pipe isnt long enough to sit right on the jug...i think that could be alot of my problem becaus it is constantly leaking there....also the silencer was cut down to 9 inches by the guy who had the bike before me....does that mean anything...

bushwesl
06-05-2007, 08:35 AM
I personally run a TRX5 on my R. I'm running a similar setup as you, as far as engine modifications, etc goes. I ride a lot of trails, open fields, and hit up the dunes when I can. I love it. I actually upgraded from a FMF Fatty pipe as well, and would never go back. It'll give you more low end grunt than the Fatty, but will still provide the top end that you'll want for those open fields and dunes.

As far as the pipe hitting the frame... With my Fatty pipe it seemed that the header was almost too long. I wasn't hitting the frame because it was too short, but was instead hitting the bracing by the lower a-arm mount because of the length. I took a grinder to the bracing and it seemed to take care of my problem.

What silencer are you running? If it seems short, perhaps it is a "Shorty" FMF Power Core II, instead of just being hacked off by the previous owner. I don't know if they make them anymore, but it seems that they are few and far between.

Anyway, if I were you I would go with the TRX5. Great all-around pipe and mine seemed to fit perfectly. My $0.02

86 Quad R
06-05-2007, 09:34 AM
which gold series pipe do you have? seems i recall that the regular pipe fit sorta odd.

TheFontMaster
06-05-2007, 09:37 AM
I know alot of people that run the FMF pipe and silencer combo will cut the silencer to make it a shorty, and I know there are alot of people out there that like that setup. It may be a shorty that came from FMF, but it is very popular to cut their silencers too.

Saint18z
06-05-2007, 10:35 AM
im not sure which gold series it is it is fairly straight and I think you are right it doesnt look like the silencer was cut I think it is just a really short one...how do I tell which pipe it is?

86 Quad R
06-05-2007, 10:42 AM
it will be stamped accordingly. if it is the fatty, sst ect it'll be stamped. the older regular plan pipe will only have "fmf gold series on it. if it is the fatty then you'll have to determine which generation it is. my research has uncovered 3 generations of fatty pipe of which the first is the best and the third is the worst.

Saint18z
06-05-2007, 12:23 PM
yeah its the regular old one because all it says is fmf gold series

norcalduner
06-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Saint18z
my cousin has a ct on his bike and i didnt really like the way it felt, on the other hand my uncle has a klemm research pipe and i love that thing...but i dont think you can find those anymore. I dont want a purely low end pipe I really want that lowend because the guys I ride with are on 4-stroke ktms and off the line i get destroyed.....but at the same time when I get into the field i really want to fly...is there a good all around pipe?

I have a Klemm pipe ..... for sale :D