PDA

View Full Version : 660r will not start

Cooke
06-04-2007, 11:24 AM
I have an 05 660r and I loved it, till the other day. I have never had a problem with it. I pulled it out after it sat for two weeks and it started right up. Here is where I got pissed. I had the choke on all the way to start it and walked off for 2 seconds. I couldn't get back to it before it cut off. I then turned the choke on half and tried to start it again and it would not start. I replaced the plug and tried again. No luck. I tried to jump it no luck. It will not start please help. It will turn over but will not fire. Help Help Help the weather is great!!!

QuadManiac
06-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Have you checked for spark?

Cooke
06-05-2007, 05:17 AM
What would be the best way to go about that with out getting shocked? Thanks for the reply!!

QuadManiac
06-06-2007, 01:36 AM
Pull your plug or get a new one. reattach the spark plug connector and boot to the plug. Lay the metal portion of the plug across the engine, making metal to metal contact, somewhere where you can see the electrode while pushing the start button. Bike in neutral, turn on key, push starter button. You should see a nice bright blue spark jumping from the center electrode to the ground strap. if it's dim yellow or nothing at all, then you have spark probs. If you see much of a spark jumping from the metal plug body to the engine, you don't have a good metal to metal contact. Try again.

Good luck!

400eXr1d3rZ
06-06-2007, 02:11 AM
Also, try to get it on BARE metal.

QuadManiac
06-07-2007, 10:50 PM
If you have spark, make sure you have fuel. Petcock on? If you loosen the two drain screws, at the bottom center of each float bowl, do you get a stream of fuel coming out of each drain tube?

If yes, then you probably have fuel too, good enough to start the quad, at least.

If you have fuel and spark... then it's troubleshooting time!

Cooke
06-27-2007, 02:40 PM
I have got fuel and I have a spark and it still will not start. Like I said before it will turn over it just will not light off. Please give me some suggestions because I am about to set this thing on fire. haha. Thank you for all your help so far and keep it coming.

Wanting to ride,
Cooke

MadDog56
06-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Valve lash too tight
Carb boots torn/bad seal

Before you go too much farther, try push/pull starting it and see if it runs and will stay running.

Cooke
06-27-2007, 04:02 PM
I will give it a go and see what will happen.

Thanks,
Cooke

richmond559
06-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Im not much of a mechanic but i had trouble like this once and it turned out to be the spring in the choke it rusted and broke easy fix try looking at that.Its right above the throttle body unscrew and check..I hope thats it ..

jarrod
07-04-2007, 12:39 AM
This is an easy fix.

Sell it and buy a Honda. :)

SmokeyJohn
07-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Im with the Honda guy yamahas are so hard to fix and when theres no spark(but there is)its impossible to find out what the problem is GET A HONDA my 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 gave me no spark so now its on ebay in parts even though i now know what the problem was(it was the pickup coil)so im buying my dead uncles Honda 4x4

R.I.P. Uncle Phil
GET A HONDA

QuadManiac
07-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by SmokeyJohn
Im with the Honda guy yamahas are so hard to fix and when theres no spark(but there is)its impossible to find out what the problem is GET A HONDA my 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 gave me no spark so now its on ebay in parts even though i now know what the problem was(it was the pickup coil)so im buying my dead uncles Honda 4x4

R.I.P. Uncle Phil
GET A HONDA

Yeah but a 2002 Honda will have the same problems with diagnosis. It's not make, it's the model year and "progress", lol.

miles Machine
07-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Alll my experience racing and being a mechanic Honda by far is the best built dont get me wrong Yamaha's are good too but you just cant beat the reliability of a honda.

mxscooter
07-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Reliability-shmaliability
an engine needs fuel, air, and spark, no matter what it is so all you dingus's that like your honda or your suzuki or your freaking toaster oven pipe down and try to help this guy.

It was running, right? And there was no horrible crunch or clank?
so - check fuel first it's the easiest. Even if there's gas in the tank, make sure you have flow to the carbs. Possible to have clogged filter - or switch to reserve and back to see if that makes a difference.

next - airflow, second easiest. Is there a shop rag in the filterbox? Any obstructions?

next - spark. pull the plug, what does it look like? What color is the electrode? If you need to clean it spray it with carb cleaner, or brake cleaner, or gas and a rag, then dry it with a cigarette lighter. Plug it into the lead and hold it against the head somewhere and check for spark. No spark? Check the cap, is it tight?

LASTLY - this machine needs a certain amount of juice to charge the ignition circuit in order to light up. How's the battery? No joke, if it's low, it'll turn over but not fire up.

That's it. Be it a Honda, a Suzuki, a Polaris, a Chevy, a Ford, a VW, or whatever, those things are all that's needed. As long as it's not locked up or dropped a valve or has a rod sticking out of it, it'll start.

miles Machine
07-16-2007, 03:05 PM
well yes I think we all know that an engine needs thos things to run, i wasnt saying it didnt matter about that. I was just simply stating that honda produces a higher quality product, think about iy will somthing last longer if its poorly built or built extremely well, thats why I will tell ne one that Honda is the best. if you dont like it then go piss off.

QuadManiac
07-16-2007, 06:27 PM
The fundamental problem is that someone telling him to buy a Honda doesn't help him with his problem in the least, no matter how hilarious a statement it truly is.

Miles, with all of your obvious experience might you have a suggestion that will help him?

mxscooter
07-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Apologies, I kinda meant that to be a little funny and sarcastic, but by no means was directing it at anyone specific. Sorry to make a wave.
While there is truth to the fact that Honda has legendary reliability, ergos, etc, it is also true that since the late nineties the other manufacturers have stepped up the technology and quality of their machines. I have owned at least one of everything for the last 30 years, and if I haven't, I know someone who has and have either raced it, ridden it or fixed it. Honda was and is good, but now so are most others out there.
Some things I have owned that were good machines but seemed not quite up-to-snuff: 1975 Suzie TM100
19?? Kawie Tecate-4
1989 Quadzilla
1996 RM250
I dare you to find anything good about any of those LOL...
Best machines? '93 CR250
'89 TRX250R
'99 YZ250
'05 YZ250F
'03 Rappie

I thought 'dingus' and 'toaster oven' were funny :ermm:

miles Machine
07-17-2007, 06:05 PM
its alright man i guess i got carried away too, apologies as well.
and with my experience id deff. have to look at it, because you need exactly what mxscooter said in order for an engine to run, and this kid says he has checked and verified that all that stuff is good. maybe its somthing stupid, maybe hes over looking somthing but as of this situation I cant tell with out seeing it.

QuadManiac
07-17-2007, 06:33 PM
I will be the first to admit that I have to spend a whole lot more time working on my Raptor than I do on both of my Hondas and my Polaris (and my boat too, now that I think of it) combined. That's why I belong to 3 Yamaha forums and no Honda specifice ones, lol.

Cooke
07-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Well here is the lastest installment of the raptor problem.

I took the carbs off and cleaned them and they look good. I poured the gas out of the gas tank and put in new gas. I have a new plug in it. I took the valve cover off and inspected them. I charged the battery. I checked to see if my carb boots were torn, they are fine.

I can get it fired off if I spray started fluid in the carbs. It just will not stay running. I know it is a fuel problem but I have no idea why it will not run. I

Please help!!!!!

zje400ex
07-22-2007, 08:55 PM
try cleaning your main jet...maybe its clogged up or something.

QuadManiac
07-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Just to be sure, did you measure/adjust the valve clearance, or just 'inspect'? Also, when you measure/adjust the clearance, make sure you are on TDC of the COMPRESSION stroke. Watch the intake valves as you turn the crank counter-clockwise, and just after they open then close, continue turning and look for the TDC mark. If you accidently adjust on the exhaust stroke the clearance will be way, way off.

Rappy's are notorious for difficult cold starting if the valves are out of adjustment.

Good luck!

mxscooter
08-01-2007, 10:33 AM
So what's the poop-diddly here, is it running? Are you tearing up the trails/tracks/dunes/grandma's backyard?

Ignition problem?
Valves?
Battery?
Bad gas? No fun after after double cheeseburgers and beans I tell you what
:eek2:

xxnightraven73x
08-04-2007, 10:54 AM
ok well if you can get it to start with starting fluid check your float valves inside the carbs to make sure youre getting fuel into the bowl of the carb next check the pilot and main jets to be sure they are clear dont use too much starting fluid it cleans all the oil off the cylinder and can cause damage if this doesnt help let me know

yAmAhA-rIdEr155
08-10-2007, 06:54 PM
its tha carb., . im positive it is tha carb. get some carb. cleaner spray, take tha carb out, and they spray it in every spot and i guarantee it will run like new, clean it again u gotta spray it for a while

genoapb
11-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Did you ever get this bike running? Because im having the exact same problem and have tried all the same stuff and it just wont stay running.

barry rose
12-11-2007, 04:46 PM
call me silly for thinking the easy way out. if you have spark and the fuel lines are clear, check where your choke cable enters your carbs above your throttle cable, this tends to rust up and like the other guy said they are a bear to start in cold weather. otherwise i would look to replace the jets.