PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a K&N Style Filter

Trx250rider86
06-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Whats the best way to clean a K&N style filter without damaging it?

trx400EXtreme
06-04-2007, 10:40 AM
K&N cleaning kit. if not then i just let it soak in simple green and water.

250r4life
06-04-2007, 10:47 AM
the best i have found is as follows...

i take it off the bike, go to the kitchen sink (you dont want to go to the hose or a place with high water pressure) and run water through it from the inside out... this will get a lot of the dirt/sand out of the filter, so when you do spray the cleaner it works more efficiently and doesnt stap on the top level of all the crap... i shake it off, and set it out to dry for a couple hours or so (depending on the time of year here in AZ)... i then come back after its pretty dry, and spray a whole bunch of K&N cleaner on it... let that sit for about 20 minutes, then go back to the sink... it'll be off white and clean as a whistle...

whiteEX
06-04-2007, 10:53 AM
yeah take the cleaning kit, and spray the stuff on the filter, then take and i let it set for a while and wash it off, then u should always let it air dry out, but u could spray air on it from a tank, then just spray on the oil and ur good to go

F-16Guy
06-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Never use compressed air or high pressure water on a gauze type filter. It will seperate the gauze and leave big holes for dirt to get through. 250r4life said it perfectly; follow that and you'll be good to go.

Dill
06-04-2007, 01:58 PM
I use a small hair drier in the mouth to speed drying.

Trx250rider86
06-07-2007, 06:18 AM
thanks guys, but one question. the velocity airfilter kit is the same type as the k&n right, the material and all, i know the shape is different. i just ordered one and thought id ask before i ruin it lol, thanks again.

would a dealer ship have this cleaner?

250r4life
06-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Trx250rider86
thanks guys, but one question. the velocity airfilter kit is the same type as the k&n right, the material and all, i know the shape is different. i just ordered one and thought id ask before i ruin it lol, thanks again.

would a dealer ship have this cleaner?

yes its basically the same thing...

a dealership would have the cleaner, as well as checker or auto zone or whatever... they sell kits of cleaner and oil for like $12...