PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Gears

sldhd700
06-04-2007, 08:45 AM
My son rides a 90 Ltd. Friday night we cracked a set of gears. I was lucky to have caught the problem before the gears completely broke. I just noticed the drive sprocket would lock up slightly when we rolled the bike. I removed the gears and you could see distinct cracks in the gears. This is the second set I ve seen come apart in the last three weeks. Is this a common problem and is there a fix. I have heard of guys switching to Kasea gears. Does this take care of the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Shayden Housley#39

QuadJunkies
06-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by sldhd700
My son rides a 90 Ltd. Friday night we cracked a set of gears. I was lucky to have caught the problem before the gears completely broke. I just noticed the drive sprocket would lock up slightly when we rolled the bike. I removed the gears and you could see distinct cracks in the gears. This is the second set I ve seen come apart in the last three weeks. Is this a common problem and is there a fix. I have heard of guys switching to Kasea gears. Does this take care of the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Shayden Housley#39
We just ran into a problem running the Kasea gears.
We personally do not reccomend.
They are not a perfect match to be running in the DRR.
Have you changed the needle bearing yet?
It needs to be changed most likely.The stock bearing sucks.
I have the brand name and model # if you need it.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300580

drr wizard
06-04-2007, 12:48 PM
you might want to condsider running a trans -saver it adds more support reducing the stress to the gears . works well with the stock drr gears .
drr wizard

sldhd700
06-04-2007, 01:23 PM
I m not sure what a trans saver is or where I get one? Any info would help. It sucks to think I might be changing gears every time my son makes a hard ride.

Shayden Housley #39

drr wizard
06-04-2007, 02:32 PM
a trans-saver is a support that bolts on the exterior of the trans and supports the output shaft and the front sprocket lessening the load demands on the internal needle bearing. they can be purchased at most hi perf mini dealers, I get mine from HOT QUADS. It is money well spent.

ecmini1
06-04-2007, 03:58 PM
The trans save is one solution but the bushing mod. and trany save is the best option. The needle bearing is the problem with the stamped cage loosens then the gears start to walk around on hard landings. We now go as far as a bushing mod w/ tranny saver and slipper sprocket on two customers. This is extreme but with some of the aggresive riders out there cant take a chance.

Let us know if we can help you.

sldhd700
06-04-2007, 07:19 PM
I ve seen the bushing mod posted for Apex is this the same mod?
Who sells the Bushing Mod or the Bushing?

miniquad
06-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Yes it is the same mod ,the Apex and Drr cases ,gears,and bearing are the same. Like ecmini1 said the problem is the needle bearing inside the case. You can support the outer portion of the gear but the inside were the gears mesh is the problem. Under an extreme load such as landing with the throttle on the gears try to push apart and beats the needle bearing in the cage and makes the bearing have play thus disrupting the gear mesh and the gears climb away from each other and strip the teeth on the gears.The bushing supports the whole shaft and is solid therefore no play and consistant gear mesh. Added support would come from the case saver. Here is a link:http://www.ecperformanceminiquad.com/ these guys are great and helpfull.