PDA

View Full Version : First quad.

ThatKid
06-04-2007, 08:41 AM
I just bought a 04 250EX and I have a few questions.

I've ridden it for about 5 hours total now and have found most of the things that bother me. First off, I have a few things I plan on getting to make it a little bit more trail worthy.

Skid: Pro Armor Chassis skid, I've heard good things about them so it seems like a sound idea.

Bumper: The stock one is toast, the previous owner hit a rock going fast enough to put a tea saucer sized dent across it, I was looking at the DG Alloy one.

Nerfs: How are Tusk Comp Series I saw them on Rocky Mountain and they appealed to me because of their cheapness, and the fact that they come in black.

Front Shocks: They don't really need to be replaced but I'd kind of like to do it anyway just for the bling factor, and I kind of don't like how it handles it's very (I don't really know how to describe it) Dippy? as in it dips way down in corners (but then again I've only ever ridden utility's before owning this. I read the performance FAQ and I saw that 300EX shocks fit, so does that mean than any aftermarket shocks that fit the 300 will fit the 250, or just the stockers?

So what does everybody think?

klutchbuster250
06-04-2007, 09:25 AM
the tusk nerfs are good i know because i have them and the 300ex shocks dont fit on the 250 only the rear fits with some modifications

ThatKid
06-04-2007, 10:54 AM
What's this about then.

What about suspension? Who makes suspension for a 250ex?
Works and Elka both make front and rear shocks for the 250. Herrmann Racing and ASR both make +2 a-arms, as well.

Works and Elka shocks are just too stinkin' expensive. Is there any other options?
Suspension isn't cheap- but you get what you pay for. Although they will not handle as well as a quality set of aftermarket shocks and extended a-arms there are some cheaper solutions:

For the front suspension: 300ex shocks (Recon's only?), Diamond J Widening kit w/ DVX/400ex/300ex front shocks (OEM or aftermarket)

For the rear suspension: Banshee front shock, 300ex rear shock (all years w/ the use of 2 washers), 2001 Raptor rear shock

tedwilley
06-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Almost no one with a 250ex is satisfied with the suspension.
The rear is capable of being improved with shocks from those mentioned in the Performance FAQs you quoted. The 300ex rear shock fits, you have to drill out the top and bottom mounts to fit a 12mm bolt (stock is 10mm), and add spacer washers in the top mount.
The 300ex fronts fit into the top mounts, but they are too big for the bottom. I am looking at a couple of ways to adapt the 300ex fronts and will post pictures when I am successful.
Look at the thread: 'Making Mods any advice on the installs? '
No matter which shocks Works, Elkas, or used stocks from other models increase the travel more than an inch or so; but they should improve the ride with adjustability (depending on what is chosen). This is assuming you keep the stock front end.

ThatKid
06-05-2007, 10:13 PM
I read somewhere that if you invert the shocks that they fit with a little bit of bending on th upper mount.

Is this true, is it ok to run them upside down?

tedwilley
06-05-2007, 10:25 PM
I have read of at least one person who did that, and several others who felt that might eventually weaken the bracket. It is not just slightly too big, it's a little less than 1/8 inch too big on each side. I'm not saying that it would weaken the bracket, but it holds the front end together and is under a lot of stress, especially landings.
It does matter how you mount the shock, one end is too big to fit either bracket.
As far as being mounted upside down, the only concern I can think of is being more vulnerable to water and dirt on the seals. A shock cover and frequent cleaning should take of that.
I can't think of a mechanical reason why they wouldn't work upside down, I thinking of doing that with an adapter bracket at the top to fit the 300ex shock bushing instead of bending the brackets.
I spoke to a machinist who believes the bushing and collar (where the bolt goes through) could be machined down to fit the 250ex bracket. Of course he hasn't actually looked at the shock to see how much metal could be removed. There is a dust cover that protects the shock pivot bearing that holds the collar. If you took off too much, the dust covers could fall out leading to bearing failure. I have read an older post here in a different forum where someone did just that by taking off too much.
Sorry to ramble on...:rolleyes:

m.h.s.c.#527
06-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by ThatKid
What's this about then.
it says in parentheses RECONS ONLY