PDA

View Full Version : no o rings

1965 honda
06-04-2007, 06:27 AM
im up north where there are no stores my axle bearing gose out so i race back to the cabin, call everyone within 2 hours away, find a shop with it in stock, drive to get my knew 90$ bearing rip everything apart find out there are no o rings in the kit SOB
what is up with that?

400exrider707
06-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by 1965 honda
im up north where there are no stores my axle bearing gose out so i race back to the cabin, call everyone within 2 hours away, find a shop with it in stock, drive to get my knew 90$ bearing rip everything apart find out there are no o rings in the kit SOB
what is up with that?

Are you referring to the large rubber o-rings that go on the carrier? I dont think I've ever put them back on.

06-04-2007, 06:59 AM
was it a kit...i have never seen these sold as a kit...a;ways sold as individual parts that you are responsible for making sure you have gotten everything...that sucks though

Dill
06-04-2007, 07:23 AM
everytime I take it apart those o rings are in 1000 pieces so I don't ever reuse them either.

400exrider707
06-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Dill
everytime I take it apart those o rings are in 1000 pieces so I don't ever reuse them either.

exactly

1965 honda
06-04-2007, 08:39 AM
i made my own orings for it but i was wondering how important they are. but since some of you dont even use them i wont worry. yes the big fat flat ones on the carrier .

06-04-2007, 08:59 AM
your bearings will wear faster if you don't replace those...they are the 1st line of defense against mud, dust, etc.

mine were always intact and could have been re-useable, but i always opt to replace them

Dill
06-04-2007, 09:14 AM
please explain? The outer seals in the carrier, then the seals on the bearing are the lines of defense against mud and water. The seals that go on the outside of the carrier only prevent water from getting into the swingarm housing, which in no way affects the bearings at all.

1965 honda
06-04-2007, 10:31 AM
im pretty sure honda put them there for a reason. but riding is more important than an o ring. so i just put it back together with out them.

06-04-2007, 10:49 AM
which ones are we talking about?
if you are referring to the ones on the outside of the carrier, then they don't prevent mud and gunk from reaching your bearing, they prevent it from getting into your carrier and rusting the inner part of the swingarm. that helps with getting the carrier out the next time you need to change your bearings. i always replace those also, even though they are usually in like new condition...but then again, i am very anal about the care of my bikes...i don't half *** things

400exrider707
06-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
which ones are we talking about?
if you are referring to the ones on the outside of the carrier, then they don't prevent mud and gunk from reaching your bearing, they prevent it from getting into your carrier and rusting the inner part of the swingarm. that helps with getting the carrier out the next time you need to change your bearings. i always replace those also, even though they are usually in like new condition...but then again, i am very anal about the care of my bikes...i don't half *** things

If you have a stock swingarm and any carrier, they are aluminum so I dont see how its going to rust. Every single time I've taken them out, they come out in a lot of pieces or very stretched out and not even in their proper area.

06-04-2007, 11:47 AM
maybe i should have said something other than rust but the point is something is wrong if they come out in little pieces...or in the wrong place...it don't matter to me if you put them back in or not...
they are their for a reason and like i said, i don't half *** things, it is done right or it don't get done.

chris46250r
06-04-2007, 12:11 PM
maybe i should have said something other than rust but the point is something is wrong if they come out in little pieces...or in the wrong place...it don't matter to me if you put them back in or not...
they are their for a reason and like i said, i don't half *** things, it is done right or it don't get done.

If it doesnt matter to you then quit calling everybody else half*****!
I havent bought every brand made but all the aftermarket carriers I ever bought didnt even come with them.

06-04-2007, 12:21 PM
good for you...i am glad you see a need for aftermarket carriers in your style of riding...there is a groove for them on the stock carrier...
i never said anybody elsed half assed it...i said i don't half *** things...if you want to readinto it that i am saying they are half assing it, then do it...but i never said that...

400exrider707
06-04-2007, 12:26 PM
I give them out to girls for bracelets.:o

:chinese:

Dill
06-04-2007, 12:33 PM
I shoot them at my cat.

F-16Guy
06-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Before you put the carrier back together, make sure the inside surface is clean and smooth. If the o-rings are drying out and crumbling, use different grease. Most of the o-rings used in dry places on an aircraft are lubricated using lithium grease. It seems to keep the rubber more supple so it doesn't crack and crumble. They are definitely a good idea, though, since a carrier full of water will ensure that you're replacing bearings on a regular basis. BTW, aluminum does indeed "rust", it just doesn't look like rust. Iron oxide is what causes the orange color, so you won't see that with aluminum. All you need for corrosion is an anode and cathode (two dissimilar metals) and an electrolyte (water), and POOF!! -- corrosion.

1965 honda
06-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Dill
I shoot them at my cat.
thats pretty funny

1965 honda
06-04-2007, 02:06 PM
ive replaced them twice now and the first time i used the after market ones (balls racing\ pivot works) and they were hard to fit in. this last time i used the honda oem bearing and it droped right in. pivot works are 30$ honda are 90$ i will go with honda 4 know on.

lilhouskey
06-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Before you put the carrier back together, make sure the inside surface is clean and smooth. If the o-rings are drying out and crumbling, use different grease. Most of the o-rings used in dry places on an aircraft are lubricated using lithium grease. It seems to keep the rubber more supple so it doesn't crack and crumble. They are definitely a good idea, though, since a carrier full of water will ensure that you're replacing bearings on a regular basis. BTW, aluminum does indeed "rust", it just doesn't look like rust. Iron oxide is what causes the orange color, so you won't see that with aluminum. All you need for corrosion is an anode and cathode (two dissimilar metals) and an electrolyte (water), and POOF!! -- corrosion.

actually its the chromium in aluminum that oxidizes and forms a passive layer

400exrider707
06-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy

The rubber rings go on the outside of the carrier so how do you figure it will effect the bearings? The bearings are on the inside of the carrier.

chris46250r
06-05-2007, 05:41 AM
good for you...i am glad you see a need for aftermarket carriers in your style of riding...there is a groove for them on the stock carrier...
i never said anybody elsed half assed it...i said i don't half *** things...if you want to readinto it that i am saying they are half assing it, then do it...but i never said that...

Yes pretty much you are saying anybody that doesnt use the o-rings are half ***** because you do use them because you dont half ***** it.

JOEX
06-05-2007, 11:39 AM
How about we move away from this discussion about half***ing :rolleyes:

chris46250r
06-05-2007, 11:46 AM
We did, about 6 hours ago.

JOEX
06-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by chris46250r
We did, about 6 hours ago.
But you had to bring it back up after 17 hours:rolleyes: