PDA

View Full Version : putting the rings on beadlocks

10-26-2001, 07:34 PM
i had my tires put on my beadlocks yesterday. but left the rings home to put on myself. what a mistake. now i cant stretch the tire over that little lip on the rim. i just battled with it for 2 hours. im pretty sure there not mounted with them on because the bead is sandwiched between the ring and rim. is there any trick to getting these rings on. or do i call the shop and have them do it, which means no riding this weekend.

400exRacerX
10-26-2001, 07:58 PM
I have beadlocks too but i dont understand your problem can you explain ti better and i can help you out, i mounted mine myself, i pushed the tire on the rim, sprayed some wd-40 on the rim hooked it up to the air compressor and popped the bead in place, then i set the other bead and tightened the screws down. reply if you want help.... The hole object is to sandwich the bead between the rim and the ring... how else would you lock the bead in place?

10-26-2001, 08:43 PM
i got the rim back with just the tires inside lip pushed over the rim. i paid $30 each for that f--king shi-, thanks action yamaha. anyway...the rim has a slight recess all around near the mounting screws that the tire sits in. the tire is a little smaller diameter than this recess that circles around. i cant stretch the tire over this . basically ...i would sandwich too much tire without having it stretched over that recess. one side has the rubber covering two bolt holes, so i cant drop them in. by the way...the bead isnt set on the inside either, does that help at all. how the hell do i set it without the ring side bolted down? one other thing, when i bought them originally w/ tires mounted, the rings were bottomed out flush to the rim...of course. when i get one side down close to flush, trying to cross torque all the bolts evenly...i wind up with one side almost flush, but the other side,like i said, has the tire right up against the bolts with no way to get the ring down flush. i wind up bending the ring a little.i really cant explain it anymore...my kids crying and the wife is *****ing about something downstairs...dogs barking...i need some help and a smoke. and to ride my quad. thanks for any help....and i know i f--ked up and got gypt. my own stupidity, its a wonder i could tie my shoes.

400exRacerX
10-26-2001, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
i pushed the tire on the rim, sprayed some wd-40 on the rim hooked it up to the air compressor and popped the bead in place, then i set the other bead and tightened the screws down.

Sorry about that i screwed that up because i was typing too fast, you obviously cant set the bead with out having the ring torqued down. what i do is i push the tire down on the rim both beads down on the rim then i take all the bolts and screw them in about one complete turn in, just to hold the ring down, then i let off the bead and it comes out to the ring, then i take the bead and a flat head screwdriver and begin to push the bead between the ring and the rim and tighten the bolts down in a pattern until the bead is set, then i go to the air compressor and pop the other side bead in place....does this help? it takes me about 5-10mins to set a pair of rear tires on beadlocks. if you got the one side of the bead on the rim and the other side covers the holes for the bolts then your tires must be oddly shaped....?

10-26-2001, 09:12 PM
yes it does help...instead of fight the tire, ill just push the outside bead over the rim and hold it down with some c clamps. put the ring on ( not all the way of course...i need room for the tire to slip under the ring and up against that small lip). tighten down the bolt in a pattern. then set the inside bead. it sounds like a plan. did i understand you correctly? thanks for your time dude, i appreciate it.:)

400exRacerX
10-26-2001, 09:25 PM
Yes, you understood me 100% there, and you are welcome if you have any other questions ask me and i can see if i have any cures.

Red Rooster
10-27-2001, 11:38 AM
Do you guys know if i can have beadlocks installed on my ITP .190 rims or if i can do it myself??? How much does it cost?? This pry wont work, will it.:confused:

400exRacerX
10-27-2001, 09:28 PM
How would you install beadlocks onto a rim? You have to buy the beeadlock rims not make them.

trx400ex
10-27-2001, 09:38 PM
race rings?

Lasher
10-29-2001, 07:33 AM
I had the same problem when mounting my front MX Holeshots on beadlock rims. Took a lot of patience but I eventually got it on.

I place on side on the lip, and held it there with my knees and then just kept working the bead over the lip around the rim. Took a little while but finally I got it in place and put the ring on.