PDA

View Full Version : water skipping haha

EXriderO2
06-03-2007, 08:09 PM
so i have been thinkin bout trying to skip across a river on my 400ex. i have seen it done in videos with a banshee and a 400ex but im having my doubts haha. anyone ever try it before?

1965 honda
06-03-2007, 08:21 PM
ive skipped 70ft ponds before but never a moving river. you have to be in at least the top of 3rd gear. if you dont hit the water square with your front tires you might flip, and that sucks

ImplodedMindZ
06-04-2007, 01:09 AM
Iv skipped across a slow movin river b4 nothing fierce though. Make sure u keep ur weight over the rear axle, like ur @ss as far back on the seat as u can, i learned the hard way.

REDRIDDER
06-05-2007, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by ImplodedMindZ
Iv skipped across a slow movin river b4 nothing fierce though. Make sure u keep ur weight over the rear axle, like ur @ss as far back on the seat as u can, i learned the hard way. over the bars and through the woods hahahah....ive seen it done and it doesn't look fun,once those front tires go just a little bit under see ya over the handle bars and through the woods to the hospital you go..just kidding you usually don't get hurt bad just bruised and your thoughts of going it again slowly diminish lol.....

ImplodedMindZ
06-05-2007, 04:37 AM
my experience wasnt nearly that painfull but mostly b/c it was a really shallow river i just got really really soaked and got my first experince w/ the chain slipping off the rear sprocket and wraping halfway around the front sprocket. that was fun to fix in the middle of nowhere.

Barrymaxx
06-05-2007, 11:29 AM
I tryed on some 20 ft puddles this weekend. Didnt work out well. I got it once and it felt pretty cool. The one time I did it I hit the puddle at about 35-40 mph and all I remember is water going everywhere and me coming out sideways. Dont really know what happnended.

400eXr1d3rZ
06-05-2007, 02:42 PM
I hit a 2 foot puddle (about 25 feet long) and my normal riding spot, I basically flew right across it. Just keep your speed up and DO NOT LET GO OF THE THROTTLE!!! I hit it top-speed 3rd gear...flew right over it. Lean back as far as possible, but DO NOT SIT DOWN, I learned that the hard way also, i find that everytime I sit down something bad happens :p, if you're not at full throttle i suggest you turn around and try it again, don't even consider hitting it any less that that. Pull on the bars the second you touch the water too, not too hard, just enough to compress the rear shock a tiny bit.

Rip_Tear
06-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Just be careful, I've dont a bunch of puddle skipping but my last time I came out of the puddle 90 degrees from the direction I entered, I was trying to correct but ended up getting the handle bars in my stomach, bruised all my internals, luckily no internal bleeding. I could barely walk and it took me 20 min to even get up after that to ride back to my house... which took twice as long as usual...

BOOSTED2V
06-06-2007, 09:14 AM
I just got done recovering from my water skipping attempt this year... :( I ended up fracturing my right wrist in 3 places and tearing tendens in my left wrist.

I used to do it all the time on small corn field ponds like 50-70ft long. This time I was making a practice run on like a 30ft section and I got made the first 10ft fine then the bike went sideways, front tires sank, and I went over the bars about 10-15ft in the air and came down on my hands hard. Wasnt too pretty....

My water skipping days are over... prolly 10-20 success and 1 failure made me stop....

Gray33
06-06-2007, 09:38 AM
"Water skippin" ya it sure does sound fun I have never seen anyone do it on a quad tho. Mostly i have seen them do it on snowmoblies does anyone have viedos or know if youtube has videos of it. Or if anyone has pics that would be helpful to. I am thinking about doin it if i can see i can do it clearly and safely.

-thanks-

TGA400EX
06-06-2007, 10:04 AM
I have seen some videos of snowmobiles on youtube water skippin.

400eXr1d3rZ
06-06-2007, 10:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwL2sWYBhQo

Three foot deep water, skipping over with Ski's (400ex and Brute Force)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT8uAf-sCt4&mode=related&search=

Gray33
06-06-2007, 10:49 AM
hey man thanks for them videos. Man, that one netherland guy was crazy crossin that water when it was winter how deep you think that was?

mat1977
06-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Practice on big puddles 1st (if you havn't allready).If your ready.. hold on tight (useally the bars will want to turn,lean waaaay back and dont let off(duh).I have never done a moving river though:macho Good luck!!