PDA

View Full Version : Trusses vs Rafters

JOEX
06-03-2007, 07:52 PM
What should I be looking at when deciding which to use? Advantages and disadvantages of each...

The project is a 20' x 30' detached shop/garage. Hipped roof w/5:12 pitch 12" eave, 10' walls.

I've been playing around with a couple different software programs and their 3d views show different styles of framing.

Proposed structure...

JOEX
06-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Rafter 1

JOEX
06-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Rafter 2

JOEX
06-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Truss 1

JOEX
06-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Truss 2

parkers30
06-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Trusses are going to be easier if you are framing it up yourself, but without help will be a challenge to get up there.

Look at material costs, Trusses may indeed be cheaper

mat1977
06-03-2007, 08:27 PM
I'd go with 24' wide instead of 20'. There will be more room on the sides for quads,lawnmower ect. If you park a car inside there will won't be alot of room to move around.Just an idea.30' deep will be real nice however.As for the framing of the roof IDK:D

ShiftFMX
06-03-2007, 08:43 PM
If you stare at those clouds long enough they start to move...:huh

and no...I'm not high :p

JOEX
06-03-2007, 08:45 PM
I plan on doing most of the framing myself with help as needed. With a gable roof it's a no brainer IMO to go with trusses but with a hipped roof i'm not sure. Going by the rendered drawings it seems there's still a fair about of stick framing involved depending on which drawing is more accurate. That's where i'm questioning the benefit of trusses in this application. If I go with trusses they will be brought in with a crane.

Due to local codes i'm limited to 600 sf for an accessory building and i'm using every inch :D I'd like to go 24' wide but this is going to a more of a shop than a garage with mechanical in the front and woodworking in the rear so I think the depth will be more beneficial. Lawnmower and yard tools will have seperate storage;)

Thanks for the input so far:)

yamaha250f
06-03-2007, 09:28 PM
We have truss's in our garage and in 1995 about 15 years after the garage was built the metal plate with the teeth in it started to slip out and the wood started to seperate. We ended up having to use supports to jack up the joints and my dad made long steel plates for the new support braces but hey hasn't moved since.

atvRiDa400ex
06-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
If you stare at those clouds long enough they start to move...:huh

and no...I'm not high :p

dude wtf, no joke either.

yes im high...haha jk jk:D

Ace Sixx
06-04-2007, 02:42 AM
Rafters so you can use the space above as storage.

ZSK
06-04-2007, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Ace Sixx
Rafters so you can use the space above as storage.

Above what? The ceiling? With trusses you can attatch the ceiling and then use the space above it for storage.

Joe, why a hip roof, is it to match your house? A gable with trusses would provide much more storage.

250rAL
06-04-2007, 07:24 AM
If you have to hire a crane for those few trusses, it's going to make the rafters more cost effective. When I built my garage(24X24), I costed out rafters and trusses for a 4:12 gable roof and the trusses were more exspensive but not by much and they were much easier and faster to put up.

JOEX
06-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
Above what? The ceiling? With trusses you can attatch the ceiling and then use the space above it for storage.

Joe, why a hip roof, is it to match your house? A gable with trusses would provide much more storage.
Yea, the hipped roof to match the house and with 10' walls I think the building will look less obtrusive.

Rafters will have more storage if there's ceiling joists but i'm not concerned about that.

In the first truss pic there looks like only six trusses and alot stick framing still needs to be done but in the second truss pic there's alot more trusses. I don't know which one is correct:confused:

I belive with trusses the cost of delivery and placing them on the building is included.

400exrider113
06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Trusses our nicer in my mind just do to the fact that if it is an open ceiling you can tie things to the truss. My friends dad has a cap for his truck and they tie it up and can still park the truck under the cap so there both in side.

premiumtommy
06-04-2007, 10:15 AM
i am a general contractor and also went to school for architectural design. so imho

if you are only gonna use a 5 pitch on a 24' wide structure, i would go with trusses. you are only gonna have a 5' clearance in the middle of the structure for storage. you and 2 other guys can lift 24' 5 pitch trusses by yourselves. yes, with 10' walls. only the gable trusses will be a ***** if they come pre-sheathed. but it can and has been done. no problem. the trusses will make the job go quicker.

dont forget to brace them. use the metal braces you can buy from Simpson strong-tie. and put strong backs in the center of the ceiling. 1 2x4 flat nailed to the top of the ceiling and 1 2x4 on edge nailed to the side of the previous 2x4 should be adequate.

ballisticpb
06-04-2007, 10:24 AM
trusses are about the same cost. saves lots of build time and wasted materials. many truss companies will show up with a crane and load them on the top plate for you. then you just set them into place. even with the hips there will be very little hand framing involved. you will have center gable trusses. then jack trusses that interconnect to the girder truss on each end. with most simple hip designs you will only be hand framing the last stringer in the hip.

JOEX
06-04-2007, 10:44 AM
The building is going to be 20' wide plus 12" over hang all the way around. I'd prefer to use trusses just to keep it simple.

So is this drawing more accurate than the other?

JOEX
06-04-2007, 10:45 AM
The other....

ballisticpb
06-04-2007, 11:11 AM
first picture is more accurate of what trusses are to look like. the short ones for the front and back hip are called jack trusses. and they are an open ended truss that will attach to the last full length in line. and i can not stress enough with our clients to find a truss company that will deliver on the plate. it is a big time and back saver.

JOEX
06-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks. And I plan on having the trusses set on the walls:)

1965 honda
06-04-2007, 05:52 PM
trusses are easier by far. but more money i would think after the crane cost. the hip roof will cost more also, but the look of a hip is very nice. i hope you post a finshed pick

Outlaw 50
06-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Call a few truss companies for a price on a complete set of trusses including the 2 hip ends and also get a price on just the center full trusses.

Then get a price on the material to stick frame the ands and also the entire roof.

Add your labor costs to both prices and you will know which way to go.

If you are a do-it yourselfer the complete truss set will be faster and easier. Cutting rafters is something that takes knowledge and time so as not to waste material.

20' trusses are not very heavy and can be installed by three guys.

Make sure that you tell the truss company how much floor load you want to have in the attic space. They can adjust the bottom cord and engineer the trusses accordingly.