TWISTED DINLI
06-03-2007, 05:49 PM
found a pic of it on atv scene

TWISTED DINLI
06-03-2007, 05:49 PM
another

TWISTED DINLI
06-03-2007, 05:51 PM
i think it resembles a KFX 450 with the front cut fenders and the rear fenders and then the exhaust on the other side like the Cannon Dale 450.

Ryan
06-03-2007, 06:49 PM
I like the looks of it, besides how the fenders go over/around the radiator.

motox450
06-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Anyone notice that the works KYB long travel only have one spring? If KYB and Showa step up in atv suspension like they have in bikes Fox, Elka, Axis, PEP and others are in for a world of hurt. KYB and Showa have resources and cash the others can only dream about. If both Jap suspension companies really step up I can see great great things on stock quads in the future!

gibson400ex
06-03-2007, 07:53 PM
looks nasty

the only thing im not diggin is the front shocks, how they go to the a-arm to the frame, looks almost straight up,

and the front plastic

but it looks like my brother will be getting one, maybe:devil:

N300exJ
06-03-2007, 07:55 PM
that thing looks awesome! Yeah i think shock companies along with the big four are gonna have to step it up soon!

rollie
06-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by gibson400ex
looks nasty

the only thing im not diggin is the front shocks, how they go to the a-arm to the frame, looks almost straight up,

and the front plastic

but it looks like my brother will be getting one, maybe:devil:

the shocks and the radiator is in a weird spot, i cant wait to see one of these things with herrmann/stadium on them, im asumming thats what will be on it right?

hsr
06-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by motox450
Anyone notice that the works KYB long travel only have one spring? If KYB and Showa step up in atv suspension like that have in bikes Fox, Elka, Axis, PEP and others are in for a world of hurt. KYB and Showa have resources and cash the others can only dream about. If both Jap suspension companies really step up I can see great great things on stock quads in the future!

amen to that. Those shocks look trick, super beefy...and I'm liking the single rate spring setup. All this triple rate spring nonsense cants be right!

motox450
06-03-2007, 08:28 PM
looks nasty

I am no suspension guru by no means, but with the "attack angle" as Can-Am is using may allow for the shocks to be set at a steeper angle. Now I can't say that for sure, but it is something to think about.

N300exJ
06-03-2007, 09:03 PM
I didnt even think about that. The angle of the a arms is different so im sure the angle for the shocks will be diff as well.

300ex07
06-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Am I the only one that thinks these "new" tires look like the old turf tamers?

Rusty91o
06-04-2007, 11:30 AM
I love it all. This 450 is gonna be really good. I bet the Rotax motor will beat the hell out of the competition though, those specs they are talking about really are true. Expecially is you've ever riden on a Rotax, like the with DS 650. Can't wait to see. But they do look like the Turf Tamers. Whats funny is that in mulitple test though, the Turf Tamers actually did the best all around with everything. Traction, ply rating, stop rate, turning etc... The reason most people don't use them is because they are mostly an all around good tire, where as for example ITP makes the Holeshot, though it may not be good for rocks, or mud or anything, is works best at getting traction on hard packed dirt. Ya know?

gibson400ex
06-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by rollie
the shocks and the radiator is in a weird spot, i cant wait to see one of these things with herrmann/stadium on them, im asumming thats what will be on it right?

haha oh maybe:devil:

Screven_Rida
06-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Those are Itp's new Mx tires.

rollie
06-04-2007, 12:51 PM
haha oh maybe:devil:

Niiice, i cant wait to get mine

rebelbanshee
06-04-2007, 02:42 PM
i read once that the more veritical the shock is the better. So this could be a better setup, even though it doesnt look trick like a "long travel" front end.

ThePhantomRider
06-04-2007, 02:56 PM
You really want your shock to be as square to the leverage forces as possible. They are designed that way. Most times you find them being placed at moderate to steep angles and that requires more and more shock valving to manage the added leverage placed on the shock. As the arm goes through it's travel arc, the angle at which the shock works changes a lot from full top out to full bottom....which changes the performance of a shock through it's full stroke.

With the longer vertical shock you end up with more consistent leverages through the shock cycle, less radical valving needed and just as much travel.

Same with the rear, the linkage allows the shock to be almost vertical through the travel range, allowing for more accurate and consistent progression through the cycle.

Hope that helps

TPR

mojohoits
06-04-2007, 03:06 PM
that thing looks pretty awsome race ready. i think its kinda ugly stock though. i guess the same could be said for all of them to a degree.

rob-u/21
06-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Yeah, having the suspension in that angle is actually a good thing for us. Look at the angel on the dirt bikes.

protraxrptr17
06-04-2007, 06:24 PM
How much wheel travel are they getting with that setup? One problem I see with the ball joints tucked so far into the wheels is that the tie rods will hit the lower control arms and the frame when its at full droop with the bars turned. That may be why the travel numbers were so conservative. It's a problem that I have been trying to work around on my bike for quite a while. My front wheel travel is pretty much maxed out until I find a way to get more clearance. I have pretty much hit a wall at 12 inches. :D Of course you can raise the mounting location of the inner tie rod ends, but then you get bump steer. The idea of decreasing scrub radius is not new, it just hasn't been worth sacrificing wheel travel or adding bump steer to get it. Maybe they came up with a good solution so we can have both. I want to see one up close. :devil:

ThePhantomRider
06-05-2007, 03:37 PM
There should be no clearance issues with the setup and travel should be in the 12" range. Looking at the spindle you'll see that its very compact and any clearance issues were addressed in the design of the aftermarket design.

TPR

bsmith106
06-05-2007, 04:11 PM
I have a question about the shock angle. why are the shocks on ktms linkless rears laid down like they are? and why were they were angled closer to horizontal for 07 to change suspension performance?

hsr
06-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by bsmith106
I have a question about the shock angle. why are the shocks on ktms linkless rears laid down like they are? and why were they were angled closer to horizontal for 07 to change suspension performance?

All KTM's are linkless i believe, even their mx bikes...and trust me not to many people have much good to say about the link-less setup. It may have it's advantages as far as clearances and what not, but all in all I don't think it's that great.

ingleful
06-05-2007, 09:11 PM

ingleful
06-05-2007, 09:13 PM

ingleful
06-05-2007, 09:17 PM

ingleful
06-05-2007, 09:19 PM

ingleful
06-05-2007, 09:28 PM

protraxrptr17
06-05-2007, 10:00 PM
KTM's don't use a linkage because it's not needed with the PDS shock. It can stiffen the valving based on position. The reason alot of people don't like it is because it's probably a nitemare to tune. I'm not talking about turning screws, I mean actually getting the internal valving right. It's kind of like having an infinitely adjustable linkage but better because it doesn't affect the spring. With a linkage you only have one setting or you can buy another linkage that probably was tested and refined to work better than the original. For example: Stock 450R vs Walsh Savior. The early 450Rs had a strange bucking problem and the linkage was said to be the cause. That's why they named it the Savior.

The shock being laid down is pretty common on linkless rear suspensions. Dig up some pics of aftermarket no-link bikes.

ill_lil_romey
06-07-2007, 11:08 PM

Man thats what you want!n Like someone else said, the closer a shock is to being vertical the more smoothly it can go through its motion. And oh yea, all these multiple rate springs are just hype to attract the buyer, progressive springs do the job just as good even better and cost half the price.

rob-u/21
06-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Does this quad have a stock axle? Cause It look like the front arms are set at 49-50 inches. But how did they even up the rear.

54warrior
06-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by rob-u/21
Does this quad have a stock axle? Cause It look like the front arms are set at 49-50 inches. But how did they even up the rear.

In the video that is on this site about the epic 450, the guy states that is an axle that was made by can-am for this machine specifically. Probably a one-off piece.

I'm sure when these things are available to the public that arms/axles/etc. will all be available to the public from co's like LSR, Houser, etc.