PDA

View Full Version : Bore Kit without a Pipe for now

yellowrider
10-17-2002, 08:49 PM
I finally got money !!! after buying my truck to spend on my 4 wheeler .. i worked my tail off ....

i have 700.00 dollars to spin!!!!!:D on my 400ex

i am wanting some sweat power, strong accelaration and a nice top end that would scream for more air and gas !!!

but there is one little promblem i either want a 406 or a 416...

i would liek to get a cam and 10 5 1 piston ratio and maybe a good port in polish job...

does that sound good to any of you

casue i still have my same stock muffler i sorta would like to keep it ... cause i like not being heard ...
??? ?

yellowrider
10-17-2002, 09:09 PM
Hey i went to Trinity.com

and boy they have a sweet Pipe:D :cool:

that would be cool as heck to put on my 4 hundred...

How loud is that pipe does anyone know... i never even heard of this pipe.. bUt it llooks good and the full system i think is 428 dollars or something ... is that reasonable... or could i get a pipe that makes the same amount of horsepower and cheaper??

i was really thinking about buying the piston from their casue i after i read about it .. it seemed liek they did alot of testing before they tied it down with their name in all.. they seemed to be confident....

In about their cam ....
it says i have a rebate or something of 170 dollars if i give them my core.. then they say it cost a 160 bucks below that.. is the after or before i gice them my core??

is their anything wrong about trinity ..

i think it would be cool to be the only one to have trinity 400ex in kentucky cause i never heard or even seen their pipe once for the 400.. in person.. just tc and sparks and stuff like that.....

Thanks for all your help ... also

one more thing they had only one listing for pump gas and that was like a 10:5:1 or maybe 10:1:1 or something ...

but the other ratios it says i have to use race gas... will those piston above i listed give me lots of power...

i dont want to buy this kit and not be happy with it... i would like to buy this kit and never look back and just wondered how i even kept a stock 400 so long

yellowrider
10-18-2002, 05:46 AM
BuMp

flaneledholes
10-18-2002, 05:56 AM
trinity is one of the best builders out there.... It would serve you good though to look into the hetricks, puts out the same horse power with out all the cost... close to $500 is a big price to pay just for a pipe... If you wanna go stealth, just modify your stock muffler... But all you have involved, Its seems like yuo know what you want and how you want it, so good luck...

Thumper416ex
10-18-2002, 07:28 AM
Scuse me buddy to be off topic but how did you modify the stock pipe????

What's the modifications to do on the stock pipe???

YZROOSTINYA
10-18-2002, 08:06 AM
get a slip on with a quiet core. it will be slighty louder than stock but not bad. it will also flow better than the stock muffler. i would suggest a 416 kit with a all around cam. you could get a slip on,piston(10.8:1) and cam for under 600 bucks, 500 if you got a used slip on and added a quiet core. then you could spend the rest on tires.

oregonrider89
10-18-2002, 12:33 PM
If you like the way the Trinity pipe looks check out this LRD. http://www.lrdperformance.com/catalogmenu.htm In the picture its a crome silencer, but they come in anadized black and look really cool, they make good power too.

oregonrider89

oregonrider89
10-18-2002, 12:35 PM
this is how they look in black;
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29919

oregonrider89

yellowrider
10-19-2002, 09:22 PM
yeah i had my 400 for a while now .. and everything is starting to come to me how i would liek to build it....

i love mine to death .. i would jsut hate to ruin it because i am greedy for horsepower if you knkow what i am saying...

i am gonna go check out hetricks website real quick and see what all they have their...

thanks for all of your help...

do you all see anything wrong with letting a local dealership do motor work ???

like i said thanks for your help ... in i let you now what i do to it in the next couple of weeks...

so far i got a uni and some jets but i have installed either yet... also got a ac front bumper and havent installed that yet either....

i already have all around new tires... (Honda tires) Best on Earth i can climb something now without worring about not making it from lack of traction.)

Dave400ex
10-19-2002, 09:34 PM
I would get the Hetricks 416 Kit and the Hetricks Pipe. It would be around $1000 for all of that.

yellowrider
10-20-2002, 06:06 PM
hey guys just came from a ride and let me tell you that ac bumper came handy!!:D i goit stuck on a hill just grabed that in my front brake and slid her around.. sounds simple doesnt it.. well its not with a stock bumper :rolleyes: anyways i wont go their...

hey anyways today i was ridden with more 400ex and they told me that if i lighten my flywheel it would be harder to climb hills but rev faster...

like i could go up a gear without downshifting...

why it didnt make any since to me is because

* if you go in a higher gear sometimes without lugging.. why would it be any different climbing hills... cause maybe it is just me but i really dont like down shifting on hills cause you are taking a risk of hitting neutral .. i really hate that feeling... Dont you ?

anyways if i lightend my flywheel up how much will that help or hurt me in the woods...

____ also i did alot of research on boring a 400 out.. and this is what i came up with...

the bigger the piston the more torque you have...
for example 440 more torque and 416 revs faster...

well why not keep stock bore and just bump the compression? and add a low to mid range cam.... and be screaming on top end casue it revs so faster than the regular 416 or 440....

could someone please explain this to me before i go nuTs!!!

Dave400ex
10-20-2002, 08:47 PM
Those are some good questions there for Mickey Dunlap.

yellowrider
10-21-2002, 04:38 AM
Bump

some of you racer on here surely know something ...

AtvMxRider
10-21-2002, 05:20 AM
I would get a set of good shocks before I did anything to the motor. You would be surprised at how much faster you can go with a set of good shocks.(Elka,Works,Pep)JMO

YZROOSTINYA
10-21-2002, 07:42 AM
a higher comp on a stock bore doesnt make that much of a diff. a diff yes but no that much.

i agree about suspension. i just did motorwork first. i am trying to get the most out of my stock suspension:(

getting works triple rate and rebuild elka stock rear next:cool:

400exdad
10-21-2002, 10:52 AM
Thumper416,

Here is a link for a link.. :D for the how to's of pipe mods.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1925&highlight=pipe
I like the power and the slightly louder than stock sound. I can't remember if Gabe actually mentioned modding the spark arrestor, as others have done, but I like mine stock. I modded my extra arrestor and it really got noisy. I also would go light with the hole in the back half of the muffler. I ended up going back in and welding some of mine back up due to noise.

Dune Surfer
10-21-2002, 11:01 AM
A pipe does not give you that much for the$$ I have a 416 with 10.8-1, Hotcams2, and porting and I can outrun Z-400 all day but it is not a huge differance over what I had before. Before you spend a fist full of $$ on your 400 you might consider a differant quad. Cannandale or a z-400, Preditor. Or go strait for the 440 kit and cam. Good luck

yellowrider
10-21-2002, 03:14 PM
i am keeping my 400ex ... i love it ... its my first 4 wheeler without major promblems that can hold my abuse... its not going anywhere without me!

but hey i dont care about the shocks to much its only a couple of months old the stock shocks are still good... and after the 4th time to the motocross track i havent been back since so i am really not worried abot shocks any longer i just want some nice power between my legs that will shoot me up hills with little effort

yellowrider
10-21-2002, 03:18 PM
i just now thought of this.. i wonder if i could get my money back on my warranty that would be the greatest news in the worldf cause i think i paid 500 dollars for it...

+ 500

14000.00 Dollars that i can spend on my 400EX!!!! that would be awesome does anyone know if i can do this or not i would call my sho p but it is a monday and they are not open

yellowrider
10-21-2002, 05:21 PM
Bump because noone answered my question about why is the 416 rev faster than the 440 but the 440 has more torque

the stock bore should be really good.. if you get a good low to mid cam .... and have the same if not more than the 416

because you have a lighter piston right????

Dave400ex
10-21-2002, 05:42 PM
I don`t think anybody really knows for sure. Call and talk to an Engine Builder about it and let us know.

yellowrider
10-22-2002, 10:33 AM
Bump

YZROOSTINYA
10-22-2002, 10:48 AM
a 416 will be have more horsepower and rev about the same as a stock bore. if the 416 is making more power at the same rpm then it will in a sense rev faster since it is not being bogged.

yellowrider
10-22-2002, 02:02 PM
explain that to me again....

what i got out of your answer is a stock bore is just about the same as a 416??

well why does so many people jump from stock bore all the way to .80 over if it doesnt do anything ??

yellowrider
10-22-2002, 04:52 PM
Bump!?!?!

please someone help

chandexer, rico, leo , guylt250r

surely one of you guys know something or a some kind of theory why one certain bore does better than all the rest