PDA

View Full Version : sandblasting?

REDRIDDER
06-03-2007, 12:53 PM
hey guys im going to start sandblasting my frame and was wondering what kind of grit sand to use any sugestions and were to get it Lowes,Homedepot ect and what primer have you guys used and liked thanks..

mean83sc
06-03-2007, 02:54 PM
I mostly always just use play sand or silica sand. Wear a respirator though because both are silica and it can cause health issues. It cuts quickly and isn't too abresive, it leaves a nice flat finish that paint takes to easily.

That or sandblasting places sell other stuff specially for blasting, I used to get this stuff called black magic from TP tools. It was like 20 dollars for 20 or 40lbs but it lasted a long time in my blast cabinet, where play sand doesn't last nearly as long. It's only good for 2 or 3 blasts.

REDRIDDER
06-04-2007, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by mean83sc
I mostly always just use play sand or silica sand. Wear a respirator though because both are silica and it can cause health issues. It cuts quickly and isn't too abresive, it leaves a nice flat finish that paint takes to easily.

That or sandblasting places sell other stuff specially for blasting, I used to get this stuff called black magic from TP tools. It was like 20 dollars for 20 or 40lbs but it lasted a long time in my blast cabinet, where play sand doesn't last nearly as long. It's only good for 2 or 3 blasts. hey thanks man thats what i was thinking yeah and i have a little blasting cabinet and i use the black magic i got it from my buddys granfather it leaves nince smooth finish then clean it with brake fluid and let it dry then prime ,dry, paint thanks man,one one more thing you were talking sand box sand like the colored stuff like what my 3yr would play with? cause a buddy of mine said it would work fine too.thanks again

mean83sc
06-04-2007, 06:18 AM
Yea just the normal play sand that they sell at home depot. I'm pretty sure its just silica sand with coloring. It's nice because it's so cheap. I used it the other day, set the air pressure real low and did some candel holders for the woman, they came out nice and smooth so the stuff isn't super abresive.