PDA

View Full Version : '86 TRX 250 carb help...please!

aaronvan
06-02-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm looking for a little help here if you guy's don't mind.I recently bought a '86 trx 250 with a dissasembled carb.I reassembled as well as I culd figure but it has a few troublesome problem's.
1st-It starts fine when cold,but after about 15 min's of riding it takes quite a bit to restart.
2nd-I noticed when watching my wife ride it,it blows a fair bit of black smoke when she honks on it.
3rd-when letting completly off the gas(when warm)it sounds like it wants to die,but never acually does.
I dont have a manual for the bike and I am not in a position to get one at the moment,is there a site that has a diagram of this carb when assembled,I want to make sure I have the lines in correct spot's.
The carb is clean and the jet's are fine,I think it just needs to be set up properly and I have no clue on how to do it,so any advise would be great.
oh ya she burns gas like a friggin jet plane3hrs of reasonable riding to a complete tank.One more thing,it wont run with the air filter on,it dies right away.
thanks again
Aaron

aaronvan
06-02-2007, 09:41 PM
with the amount of knowledge on this forum, I figured I would have tips just flowing in??!,please if anyone is familiar with the symptom's I have described please chime in,I could really use the help.
Thanks
Aaron

Dill
06-02-2007, 10:22 PM
is this a TRX 250R or just a TRX 250? What jets are in the carb? Need more info.

GPracer2500
06-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Everything you described points to a rich condition.

As Dill asked, what bike exactly? Mods?
What's the current jetting?

If everthing is stock and the jetting is stock and you're not at 8,000ft of elevation or something--->you may have inadvertently messed up the float height when reassembling the carb. Float height is adjustable on most carbs. A too small float height measurement (meaning the float is too high, meaning the fuel level in the float bowl is too high) can cause a rich condition.

aaronvan
06-03-2007, 12:40 PM
The TRX is totally stock,I have the carb apart now and I dont see anyplace to adjust the float height?
Thanks

dariusld
06-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by aaronvan
The TRX is totally stock,I have the carb apart now and I dont see anyplace to adjust the float height?
Thanks

I think you just bend it. Do you know the spec for the float height?

aaronvan
06-03-2007, 01:14 PM
No I dont know the specks,you wouldnt happen to know of a site that may have it would you?
Thanks
Aaron

dariusld
06-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Here is a link I found. (http://www.americansandassociation.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17036) You might get better responses in the trx250r section.

aaronvan
06-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the help,I found just what I was looking for from that link you posted...thanks again dariusld.