PDA

View Full Version : please help...engine noise?

f150mann
06-02-2007, 04:35 PM
hey guys..heres the story, got my first quad.. a 01 400ex, she seems to have been riden farely hard, but i had it for two weeks..no problems,i always thought it sounded like it had a tick, but i read that it was normal.

the guy i bought it from told me it had stage one hot cams, no idea if it does or not for sure

but i went out yesterday and it worked great, now today after riding it seems like the tick is much louder, sounds like its coming from the top end for sure

also i am noticing a slight noise from the motor when the clutch it not held in, whether im driving or in neutral, but when i put the clutch in, its gone, its not very loud, but i started noticing that slighty, is that normal?????

if anyone can give me any insight it would be appreciated, i dont know a lot bout quads but i know my fair share about cars and such, so i can figure it out with some help

Sparky_20
06-02-2007, 05:08 PM
First things first, I would check your valve clearances and the timing chain tension. If those two items are ok then I wouldnt worry about it very much.

As far as the clutch noise I would check the clutch lever free play and make sure it isnt too tight. It might just be wear and tear inside the clutch assembly or transmission. Drain the engine oil out of the crankcase and check for shavings

CarGuy7a
06-02-2007, 08:07 PM
i have a stage 1 cam in mine and they do tick a little louder than the stock cam and you are correct it is normal. the clearances for the stage 1 cam is Intake .005 Exhaust .006 (inches).

as far as the clutch noise i would do as said before and check your tension.

f150mann
06-02-2007, 08:20 PM
thanks guys, i will check it all, will it hurt to ride it as is for a week or two til i can get the valves checked?

also, wheres the timing chain on these motors.. never tore into a small engine like this before, only v8s.

as far as the clutch, it was hard to squeeze, and seems too tight. i figured it was like that to adjust the clutch right, how do i properly adjust the clutch to work right yet not be too tight

Sparky_20
06-03-2007, 12:32 AM
your best bet would be a buy a helms or a clymer service manual. It goes through everything on the quad. Your owners manual also tells you how to adjust the clutch lever. The timing chain is on the right side of the motor if your sitting on the quad. The tensioner is about halfway down the motor, two bolts and a screw that you can back out to take up the adjustment when you are servicing it.

The clutch lever should have 10-20mm of free play. To adjust it you need to pull back the dust cover and loosen the locknut which is right at the base of the clutch elver assembly. With that loose you can turn the adjuster either way to either tighten or loosen the tension. That is basically straight out of the owners manual. Good luck!

f150mann
06-03-2007, 11:02 AM
i tried adjusting the clutch..its still stiff, all it changes is how far i pull the clutch til it hits the bars, and the noise is still there..