PDA

View Full Version : tie rod set up??????

gilliam2364
06-02-2007, 09:41 AM
i bent my tie rod on my 03'. i got new one on both sides now, but i dont know hoow to set them up. can someone help me please

TYayo420
06-02-2007, 09:46 AM
well get your bars straight, then tigheten the nut ont he tie rod till it get the wheel straight, on both sides, then tighten the nut to the tie rod...idk how to explain it good i just did it myself couple weeks ago hopefully someone can explain it better

j450rking
06-03-2007, 09:32 PM
lets see if i can help i just did this the other day.

1 hook up you tie rods

2 straighten your handle bars

3 take a meshuring tape and meshur from the center of the tire on one side to the center of the tire on the other side in the front and then in the back untill they are the same and then tighten them up and that is it.

if you need to know more then let me know

JOEX
06-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by j450rking
lets see if i can help i just did this the other day.

1 hook up you tie rods

2 straighten your handle bars

3 take a meshuring tape and meshur from the center of the tire on one side to the center of the tire on the other side in the front and then in the back untill they are the same and then tighten them up and that is it.

if you need to know more then let me know
Actually the front measurement should be narrower than the rear. The difference should be between 15mm -17mm.

j450rking
06-03-2007, 09:54 PM
oh yeah i forgot that makes it keep strait but i didn't think that much

dragex400
06-03-2007, 10:56 PM
I just went through adjusting my tie rods becasue I lowered my 400 about 7 inches and they were off so bad you couldn't drive. I took 6' piece of angle strapping(for a straight edge) and held it against my front tire and had someone measure the gap between the straight egde and the rim of the back tire. We took a measurement on left and right side of the rim in the center. I got them both even and it handles perfect now. I actually towed them out about 1\32 on each side. When you break it helps to keep you straight and you don't dart on way or another. Hope this helps.