PDA

View Full Version : Tie Rod set up??????????

gilliam2364
06-02-2007, 09:40 AM
i bent my tie rod on my 03'. i got new one on both sides now, but i dont know hoow to set them up. can someone help me please

CannondaleRider
06-02-2007, 02:29 PM
What I do is take some ratchet straps, go from your grab bar, to both ends of your handle bars, tighten them up just enough to keep your bars PERFECTLY straight.

Then you just have to adjust each tie-rod. You must make multiple measurments from your tires, to points on the frame, and get it perfectly even, and toe-in, to your preference.

I run 1/8" Toe-in.

DEVINF450R
06-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Make sure your bars are strait, and measure the distance inside the front tires in the very front and in the very back of the front tire.... there should be no more than +1/8" on the back (of the front tire)

gilliam2364
06-02-2007, 06:59 PM
thanks, i never even thought of that

JW450R1
06-03-2007, 04:08 PM
i just installed +2 a-arms on my freinds 400ex.i measured front the inside front and rear of the tires like was talked in a few threads before.it really seemed like a pain in the *ss.is there any other tricks to adjust toe

CannondaleRider
06-04-2007, 01:10 AM
It's pretty much a pain in the a$s, no matter what your process is.

Remember though, you can't only measure from the front of one tire to the other, and the rear of one tire, to the other.

You also have to measure from the frame to the tires, at an equal point on both sides. If you don't, your tires can be toed-in just right, but both a few degrees off from center, leaving your bike running straight with turned bars.

You'll have to make your calculations using the frame measurements, AND the tire measurements, to figure out your preferred toe-in