PDA

View Full Version : kinda dissapionted

ZSNOW
06-02-2007, 08:08 AM
im kinda dissapionted in the looks of this thing, i was kinda hoping for a more present looking style vs the future look that they're all goin for imo its kinda ugly, but this thing is gonna be a performer and thing to beat:D

rooster300ex
06-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Yea I hate to say but it is down right ugly to me. Good thing is runs good.

R8 450
06-02-2007, 10:22 AM
It SUCKS period

quadman 05400ex
06-02-2007, 11:03 AM
who r u r8 that 450 will probily beat urs with just one spark plug working

MXBOB
06-02-2007, 12:09 PM
yeah stock its ok put the epic quad look good

CannondaleRider
06-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by R8 450
It SUCKS period

Yeah, way to be positive about a new bike coming out, and pushing the sport of ATV racing to a level it has not yet reached fully (I say fully, because Cannondale almost succeeded in pushing it to that level)

Whether or not if fits YOUR personal preference, you have no room to say that it "SUCKS period". Like you have a higher knowledge, that helps you make a decision on it being a bad bike.

Your just on an inferior machine, going to have to learn to accept that.

TWILES
06-02-2007, 01:33 PM
I like it. It doesn't look all that great but the one with the Epic stuff on it and the lights and stuff off looks better to me than any others out right now. Watching the vidoe with the guy with the long hair riding it, it looks like the shocks are a little bouncy BUT, to me, it also looks like it will go a lot faster than he can. I think its a winner. If I bought one, that would be as close to owning an Aprilia as I will ever get. I didn't know Aprilia used Rotax motors. That thing should really haul ***. Actually having a bike out that requires a-arms, shocks rebuilt, axle, a pipe and thats it would be wonderfull. Thats getting back to the 2-stroke days when it was half-*** affordable.

RaD700r
06-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Yeah, Im dissapointed too. I like all the innovations they put into it but they went way too far in the styling department. Im just gonna sit back and watch

OutlawBill
06-02-2007, 01:56 PM
I too am disappointed with the stock looks but once you remove the headlight it does not look a big yellow bug.:blah: In cross country racing it should rule but in MX if you have too but all that steel a-arm swing arms and axle on the advantage will be less.

RaD700r
06-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Also forgot to mention....they didnt seem to be too concerned about the center of gravity too much like many other quads. We all know this is very important.....Radiator in the front like a 700?

* didnt allow me to edit previous post*

CannondaleRider
06-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by RaD700r
Also forgot to mention....they didnt seem to be too concerned about the center of gravity too much like many other quads. We all know this is very important.....Radiator in the front like a 700?

How were they not too concerned?

That was one of their main points.

MX450
06-02-2007, 02:13 PM
This thing takes the cake for the UGLIEST 450 to date..

I doubt any serius racers not gettin suport from can-am will even ride this thing

CannondaleRider
06-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by MX450
This thing takes the cake for the UGLIEST 450 to date..

I doubt any serius racers not gettin suport from can-am will even ride this thing

I think it looks pretty bad *****, especially with the headlights/fenders removed

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n312/TheFX440king/day2_079.jpg

Also, I seriously doubt your second statement will be true. I think quite a few serious racers will be on it. Serious racers will see the benefits. Non-serious racers will focus on the irrevelent things, such as the "bad" looks.

coryatver
06-02-2007, 02:28 PM
seriously any serious racer won't give a crap how it looks just how it preforms. And from what I have seen this motor has the most power stock and has the most potential out of all the 450s. If they can get more power out of this then the other 450s then a lot of people will be on it!

motox450
06-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I think the quad had great great potential, but I too am disapointed. When they said "race quad" I was truly hoping for a 49"-50" quad stock. Not a 46" quad. The a-arms and hollow axle again great ideas but for a true mxer they are replaced. So three of their biggest marketing points are thrown out for a mxer. 1st marketing point thrown out for a mxer is the a-arms. Have to toss the forged aluminum for good old cromo, 2nd is the hollow rear axle has to be tossed for a plus 3-4 axle, 3rd point gone is once you do that the lowest unsprung weight is gone. It will have just about the same unsprung weight as every other quad on the market. I think it will make a great mx quad with the stuff added on though. I actually like the looks, sometimes different is good. The epic quad does look sweet. But I don't think there is going to be a huge benefit with this quad compared to the others. They are all so close when built it is all up to the rider.

250Renvy
06-02-2007, 04:00 PM
It looks pretty good, the epic way, but a lot of the features are lost because of the a-arms being replaced and Axle and swingarm, unless it's painted.

The radiator seems a little unprotected though.

c450Razy
06-02-2007, 04:03 PM
yea i think that there is something that will need to be done about the radaitor, expecaly for racing.

kbass24emtp
06-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Hopfully this is the XC version. If not, I too am disapointed. I would hate to have to pay for all the new inovations and end up having to take them off and replace them. I am glad to see them step up to the plate and do what they did. Now Yamaha and Honda will have to change more than just the graphic to be on the same playing level.

OutlawBill
06-02-2007, 04:15 PM
ATK and KTM

CannondaleRider
06-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Everybody is saying that it would be a waste to pay for the innovations, then replace some of them anyways.

I don't understand that. What is the price difference compared to other bikes, many of which do not have these innovations?

So you buy this highly innovative bike, and replacing a few of the innovations with older technology, or you buy an obsolete bike, and replace the EXACT SAME PARTS.....except, the obsolete bike won't have the huge innovations that you will be keeping on this bike.

Even with replacing a few of the innovations, your still going to have a better bike then the older bikes.

Think about it.

yamadjs08
06-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Wow this post is ridiculous. I've been saying it all along, but the negativity is obviously showing right now. So many people are upset that their machine is now obsolete to a new one... The ds450 will dominate, it is the only new quad that I have been excited about... So far I just haven't found anything that is worth replacing my Cannondale for, this may be that machine... But everybody needs to look at the big picture and stop being negative... In a few years all the manufacturers will have to have an innovative and better performing bike now because of Can-Am, and I can see KTM contributing to this also... To be honest, the market right now isn't that great, for the latest and greatest that is on the showroom floor, there just doesn't seem like the manufacturers put there full effort into designing some of these quads...

Cheer up, and get excited, this quad and probably KTM's will change the market for the better...:devil: :devil: :devil:

Screven_Rida
06-02-2007, 04:58 PM
But this will still be the lightest bike for non Mx racers. Everyone isn't an MX'er. ;)

RaD700r
06-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by RaD700r

Ah my bad came out wrong, nvm . Now the epic ride DS450, that thing is bad *****!!! Also about the serious racer post, yeah real racers dont exactly care about the looks but in order to be fast you have to look fast lol j/p. Did anybody here know or mention that chris borich is signed to can-am! If he doesnt catch that championship this year on the honda then just imagine next year.

N300exJ
06-02-2007, 06:59 PM
My 05 honda trx450R will be foresale. time for a real mx machine not this dinosaur i have.

mod440ex
06-02-2007, 08:48 PM
just have to throw my opinion in. Everybody said that the zuk45o and later kfx450 would dominate, i have a new kfx. Look at the races in xc its the yamaha and honda who seems like their always up front, and in mx its suzuki and honda. i was riding red before and switched to the kfx and love its power. i doubt the ds450 will actually dominate anything this year or maybe even next year. it will take the teams quite awhile to get everything dialed in to what they are running, and i believe things will change once honda and yamaha go efi. then i believe everybody that switched to efi before will hold the advantage. this is just my opinion

rancid
06-02-2007, 09:20 PM
i have owned 2 c-dales, wich was an awsome qaud and also 2 yfz450,s. and even though the c-dale had an amazing frame efi. i like riding my yfz,s better other than the nice c-dale seat. what im getting at is why try and recreate somthing when its allready near perfect. everytime a new atv comes out everyone says its the best and our hopes get up. look at polaris, i was very exited with there new machines coming out, only to stay with my yfz. and i dont think its perfect, but i love how simple it is, and is very light and very fast. and with all this aluminum talk why is the c-dale and kxf450 heavier than my yfz and have less snap from the motor than my carbed yfz. and when there is a problem, i can fix it. and i can remove my battery, starter and fan and make it even lighter, after putting on a kicker. and that only makes my already simple yfz even more so. i kept hearing how the new honda 450 was going to be faster than my yfz, turned out to be very untrue. and suzuki, polaris, and kawi havent proved to be faster still. i do think the new can-am is a cool atv, but mabe it bit to hyped up.

Slip_Venom
06-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by rancid
i have owned 2 c-dales, wich was an awsome qaud and also 2 yfz450,s. and even though the c-dale had an amazing frame efi. i like riding my yfz,s better other than the nice c-dale seat. what im getting at is why try and recreate somthing when its allready near perfect. everytime a new atv comes out everyone says its the best and our hopes get up. look at polaris, i was very exited with there new machines coming out, only to stay with my yfz. and i dont think its perfect, but i love how simple it is, and is very light and very fast. and with all this aluminum talk why is the c-dale and kxf450 heavier than my yfz and have less snap from the motor than my carbed yfz. and when there is a problem, i can fix it. and i can remove my battery, starter and fan and make it even lighter, after putting on a kicker. and that only makes my already simple yfz even more so. i kept hearing how the new honda 450 was going to be faster than my yfz, turned out to be very untrue. and suzuki, polaris, and kawi havent proved to be faster still. i do think the new can-am is a cool atv, but mabe it bit to hyped up.

Still I can't believe how much everone is bashing this quad. IMO it is the baddest thing on the market to date. I guess we will just have to go with the Can-Am modo"THE RIDE SAYS IT ALL"

Screven_Rida
06-02-2007, 09:58 PM
What exactly makes this thing the baddest thing on the market?
I really don't see anything that it is the best at stock other than suspension.

Slip_Venom
06-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Screven_Rida
What exactly makes this thing the baddest thing on the market?
I really don't see anything that it is the best at stock other than suspension.

Hmmm, let me think, Frame, A-arms, Front Spindles, Hollow Axle, Aluminum Rear (Wheel hubs, Brake Hub, and Sprocket Hub), Highest HP Engine. Just to name a few!!!!!!!

Screven_Rida
06-02-2007, 10:48 PM
None of that really makes it the best other than the 3.5hp:eek: over lets just say the yfz or ltr.

rancid
06-02-2007, 11:28 PM
so because it has a frame that bolts together, its better. and its got hollow hubs, will they hold up. we dont know because you cant get one yet. but it is the best, just like every new one to come out.

mod440ex
06-02-2007, 11:57 PM
it doesnt have reverse, that is one thing i did love with my new kfx. i am not convinced that hollow tubes and bolted frames are a good thing time will tell. i wonder if aftermarket companies will make alot of aftermarket boltons for this being how its not really one of the big 4 companies.

Evasiveone
06-03-2007, 08:36 AM
So they claim "fully race ready".

But the very first race DS450, Team Can-Ams Epic machine, pulls off the bragged about front a-arms and puts aftermarket ones on, pulls off the rear axle for aftermarket ones, pulls off the stock shocks for aftermarket ones, pulls off the entire stock swinger for aftermarket one, pulls off the steering stem and bars for new ones, pulls off the radiator for a PWR aftermarket one, etc..etc.......

rollie
06-03-2007, 08:56 AM
i think its awsome, i dont like it in stock form, but i dont like any of the bikes, the only thing i cant stand on it is where the radiator is,looks dumb to me

Dale@AGP
06-03-2007, 08:58 AM
With a little AGP photoshop work...It's easy to imagine it being a nice GNCC race quad.

http://www.atlanticgrandprix.com/DS450GNCC1.jpg

http://www.atlanticgrandprix.com/DS450GNCC2.jpg

Fred55
06-03-2007, 09:33 AM
First off...can anybody show me where Cam-Am said this would be a full race ready quad? I don't remember seeing it and I still haven't. Also I keep on reading that for mx you have you replace the axle with a heavier aftermarket one. Did you guys not see in the Epic video that the axle on that quad is a hollow one as well made by Cam-Am? Id say that if all the DS450 needs for pure mx is A arms, a wider hollow axle, shock revalves and a pipe, thats pretty damn good, especially when compared to the other 450s. Im willing to bet that the stock shocks are LT from the factory. They look to be 18 or so inches long. Quit bashing this machine until you ride one. If you can find faults then, go right ahead, but until now just be happy Cam-Am is bringing out a quad that actually has innovation.

ThePhantomRider
06-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Evasiveone
So they claim "fully race ready".

But the very first race DS450, Team Can-Ams Epic machine, pulls off the bragged about front a-arms and puts aftermarket ones on, pulls off the rear axle for aftermarket ones, pulls off the stock shocks for aftermarket ones, pulls off the entire stock swinger for aftermarket one, pulls off the steering stem and bars for new ones, pulls off the radiator for a PWR aftermarket one, etc..etc.......

Let me ask this....if it was 50" wide like Suzuki, then people would ***** about how it's not GNCC ready, you'll need narrower arms etc etc....

My friend, no one quad will ever satisfy everyone, and no one quad will ever not be modified for someone's needs.

They need a 50" bike to race ITP and WORCS, so that is what they built.

IF YOU LISTENED CLOSELY, THE SHOCKS WHILE NOT PIGGYBACK, ARE KAYBA......THE FIRST TEAM TO HAVE FACTORY SHOCK SPONSORSHIP.....KIND OF LIKE MOTOCROSS TEAMS....

So if the front goes wider, then the rear does too requiring a wider axle.

Stock stem is chrome moly, all they did was lengthen it TO FIT JEREMY'S NEEDS!!

As for the swingarm, that's for testing purposes and they said it will be stock come race time.

People need to chill the fock out and realize no one manufacturer will fill all needs.

As far as I can see, outside of removing the front fenders or at least the lights, this thing is awesome....

TPR

Evasiveone
06-03-2007, 11:01 AM
I stand corrected. It does say race inspired on their web page.

N300exJ
06-03-2007, 11:51 AM
My dissapointment is a quad that has an engine that throws lower rod bearings like its going out of style.(450R)

Ryan
06-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
Let me ask this....if it was 50" wide like Suzuki, then people would ***** about how it's not GNCC ready, you'll need narrower arms etc etc....

Exactly. You have a 50" wide atv, and get stuck between the trees, it would be pretty useless in the woods. Atlease you can still ride this thing in the woods and on the track. It would be nice if they had a different model with wider a-arms and axles, but you can't always get everything. And according to the epic ride, can am does have some of their own parts, like a wider axle.

I think it is an awesome machine. Once we have some full ride reports, or ride it for ourselves, its hard to make a judgement on anything. Only thing I can judge from over here is the looks. Deffinitly ugly with the lights and the radiator shroud. When the lights are off, its not a bad looking quad. Theres all kinds of things you can do to make it look more appealing.
I still think the 450r and KFX is exetremely ugly.... In stock form.

And as some else metioned before about whats being on top in the racing world. Put those very top riders on any 450, dialed in, and they can win. The atv is only a small part of their success.

bradley300
06-04-2007, 07:30 AM
even the xc racers will change the a-arms, and at least re-valve all the shocks, not to mention add a bigger gas tank, better skids, beadlocks, tireballs, different tires, handlebars, hand gaurds just to name a few. the spindles are nice, but i think they wasted there time on the a-arms. they are nice, but seriously look at any racing series, who doesnt have aftermarket a-arms anyway? i dont know about the axle but time will tell.

i was real excited afer seeing the frame and front suspension, but after that it seemed to go down hill with the exception of two sparkplugs which i sure wouldnt call "innovation"

it seems like another good quad, and i'm sure it will steer well and have plenty of power, but lets see what else holds up before we make a judgement on it.

another thing, bending a forged a-arm is possible, so what is it going to cost to replace?

rooster300ex
06-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
I think it looks pretty bad *****, especially with the headlights/fenders removed

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n312/TheFX440king/day2_079.jpg

Also, I seriously doubt your second statement will be true. I think quite a few serious racers will be on it. Serious racers will see the benefits. Non-serious racers will focus on the irrevelent things, such as the "bad" looks.

In stock form to me I don't like the looks. It does have some potential though.

Punk'd
06-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Some of you people are just scared or jealous because this quad is prolly going to be the next big thing.

You dont even give it a chance, you guys are judgeing it by its LOOKS. How retarded is that! Give it some freaking time to prove itself. Im sure the majority of you guys who are nagging over something thats not even out yet just own another 450 that is about to be old news (which happens) Believe it or not the Can-Am will be a dinosour too oneday, but right now I dont care who you are, you have to tip your hats to BRP for their efforts in trying to bring us a 450 that can do a little of everything and dominate doing it.

Im sick of hearing "Its going to need a new axle, shocks, a-arms..etc! Just to race!

Have you guys ever heard of stock class?? Not everyone races and even if they did alot of people I know race with stock parts anyway. You cant make a quad and expect it to suit everyones ride style and needs. WHICH IS WHERE THE ARTERMARKET COMPANYS COME IN!

Stock for stock AS OF RIGHT NOW.. it is the most advanced and well thought out atv on the market. You all know it, so stop being negative and wait to ride it before you judge it.

BTW: I know someone who has ridden one (I work at a Can-Am dealership) and has owned a YFZ since they came out back in 04. He loves his Yamaha and has told me he'd never sell it EVER. He rode the Can-Am DS450 and now wants to sell his YFZ and buy the DS450. I guess this bike that is "No diffrent from the other 450s" changed his mind.

chrisrzz1012
06-23-2007, 04:36 PM
I do agree with what yamadjs08 said about the DS-450. I own 2 honda 400ex's (2003&2002) and a Quadracer 250r. I ridden just about every sport quad out there and my favorites are the ones I own plus the Honda 250r and 450r . I can't to ride either the Can-Am and KTM. These machines are the ones I think will change the 450 class. You got to look at the heritages of these companies: Can-Am ( aprilia) and KTM (dirt bikes) these will be great atv's. Looks don't make an atv its the features that make an atv worth looking at and buying.

chrisrzz1012
I do agree with what yamadjs08 said about the DS-450. I own 2 honda 400ex's (2003&2002) and a Quadracer 250r. I ridden just about every sport quad out there and my favorites are the ones I own plus the Honda 250r and 450r . I can't to ride either the Can-Am and KTM. These machines are the ones I think will change the 450 class. You got to look at the heritages of these companies: Can-Am ( aprilia) and KTM (dirt bikes) these will be great atv's. Looks don't make an atv its the features that make an atv worth looking at and buying.

chrisrzz1012

Dale@AGP
06-24-2007, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by chrisrzz1012

chrisrzz1012,

Can-Am's involvement with Aprilia is only as an engine supplier. They have the same relationship with BMW and the 650 line. BRP designs all their products internally and does not collaborate or copy what bike manufactures do. This is what has always set BRP apart. On the new DS450 Can-Am started with a clean sheet of paper and truly came up with a "Think out of the box approachÓ. This is the same thinking that revolutionized the personal watercraft market with the introduction of Seadoo line and it is what sets them apart in the snowmobile market with their SkiDoo line. Personally I just wait for the product to hit the dealerships, but I'm pretty sure that in in a year from now the playing field is going to look a lot different than it does today.

Dale

ride_red666
07-07-2007, 09:41 PM
I like the looks of it and cant wait to buy one. rotax supplies all the motors not BRP.

bwamos
07-12-2007, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by ride_red666
rotax supplies all the motors not BRP.

BRP owns Rotax. ;)

Dale@AGP
07-12-2007, 08:28 AM
BRP/Rotex also builds the new engine for the Harley Davidson Buell 1125 Superbike

http://www.buell.com/1125R/1125R.asp?1125RLocale=en_us

Dale

450rJam
07-14-2007, 06:31 PM
they sure spent all the $$ on go fast and design

because they didnt drop a dime in the looks dept. (ugly,ugly,ugly)

they are making the ds450 to make money
there are more 450s being played on than raced

consumers like technology but style and looks play a big part.

which would you buy first...............

a 450 with nice plastic/polish that will out run most
or
a 450 with mods that is fast but looks like arse

superevil
07-26-2007, 01:07 AM
The no weld frame and the front brake mounting are awesome ideas i think. If you really look into the advantage that having the front calipers mounted like that will give you it is impressive. They are ugly stock but that epic one looks sweet i think

bossman525
07-30-2007, 05:37 PM
when the ktm 450xc comes out i think it will blow away all other quads in the 450 class.

450rJam
07-30-2007, 06:11 PM
that has been said of every new 450

the 450r is going to rule
the ltr has it all
the kfx will kill all
the 525 will be king
the ds in the best
the ktm..............

they are all so close that the rider with the most skill will win
or.................
the person who spends the most money will win

bossman525
07-31-2007, 07:29 PM
i agree i was only saying because i ride a quad with a ktm motor. i have ridden alot of quads, all of the 450's except the ltr, and i really think the ktm 450 will be better in performance. i'm just saying that from expierence on the 525, if the 450 ktm runs like the 525, than the new ktm 450 will be a force to be reckoned with

08-01-2007, 04:00 PM
they are all so close that it dont matter witch color you choose....

as far as looks go the 250r still has the best looks

Drewltr450
08-02-2007, 04:38 PM
i think with the headlights and fenders removed its amazing looking better than my ltr by farr

Drewltr450
i think with the headlights and fenders removed its amazing looking better than my ltr by farr

Drewltr450

N300exJ
08-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Well as far as what you can buy right now the kfx450r is definatly the best 450. That is until the can am and ktm 450s arrive. Than everyone is gonna have to make a better 450 to keep up.

450rJam
08-02-2007, 07:29 PM
sorry, but the kfx cant keep up with the R, LTR, or YFZ
on the drag strip or the track. stock vs stock

it does have reverse and some technology that has been around for a while. even though the other major mfg. choose not to use it

the competition between the big makers only gives us better options though.

I have not even seen a ds450 much less rode one so I cant rank it in relationship to the others

krt400ex
08-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Yea I hate to say but it is down right ugly to me. Good thing is runs good.

x2

N300exJ
08-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Hahah sure it can considering r's and yfz's throw cranks and blow transmissions like there going out of style. The worst 450 out right now is the ltr for sure. it handles and rides like crap. i felt terrible on it. The kfx rides just like an R. feels identical. I rode a kfx450 with a pipe and fuel controler and it felt way more powerful than my built 450r.

once again though i cant wait to ride a ds450 and a ktm450. there gonna make the big four look slow and outdated.