PDA

View Full Version : front tires

yellow machine
10-17-2002, 06:55 PM
I have a question for you guys who go to the dunes alot.

what are the pros/cons to reversing your front rims to gain extra width. A couple friends and I are going to little sahara in exactly one week from tonite, this is my first trip to anywhere with good sized dunes, I have heard that stability is very important on the dunes. Is this simple trick ok to do or not? is it even possible on a 400ex? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:devil

WyoDuner
10-18-2002, 10:44 PM
You'll be fine with the stock width. When you get to the really big dunes a set of sand tires with wider offset wheels help a little.

Dune Surfer
10-22-2002, 06:19 PM
I used stock tires last year, this year I am using mohawks with 2'' offsets and I like them better, more stable but they do want to follow ruts.

out4sand
10-25-2002, 04:00 PM
the added off set is a big help in my opinion but be careful if you try to just "flip" your stock tires around making sure the valve stem doesn't hit any of your brake components or spindles.

generalg
10-26-2002, 09:45 PM
I just bought a set of Douglas Black label fronts with Shark Fins, had Jim's Sand Toys mount them with the outside out, drilled another hole for the valestem. Works just like the set of ITP 2" offset I have for the Dune Trackers. More stable... probably puts more stress on the tierods, just be more careful in the trees..

Desert Rat
10-29-2002, 03:55 PM
They make inverted valve stems for reversing your dished in rims. They extend into the rim. About $10/pair at a good tire shop. A chrome plug screws into them that you replace with an adapter (much like a valve stem extension) when you need to add air. Otherwise the stem will hit the brake caliper when you reverse them. You can run your rims either way if you want. If you drill holes in the other side of the rims you need to plug the other one and you can't run your tires either way.

Krazy Kid
11-04-2002, 07:37 PM
u eva heard of plattsmouth ne.. i live about 15 miles south of it, you outa coem down and ride with us sometime, we got some huge trails and quarries and stuff

josh
11-10-2002, 11:01 PM
i wouldn't worry about front tires as much as rear, unless u have a pair of paddles i would recommed buying or renting a decent pair of paddles, cuz that's what gets you up those hills, you won't hardly get anywere very quickly with any nobby tires