PDA

View Full Version : shaving fenders?

blood red
10-17-2002, 06:44 PM
How the heck do all you guys shave your fenders? Do you have a shop do it or do you do it yourself. If you do it yourself what tools do you use.Maybe a few tips too.

AtvMxRider
10-17-2002, 07:04 PM
I did it myself with a dremel. just take soem tape and outline how you want them to look and cut away.:D

crashinmatt
10-17-2002, 08:12 PM
its easy. the hardest part is figuring out how u want it to look. but as for cutting, i used a dremel, but u can use a hack saw or anything that basically cuts. then after i was satisfied with the cut, i sanded it smooth with sand paper, then took a little propane torch and ran it over the cut. that melts all the little plastic dust and helps bring back a little shine. but u can skip the last step, but i would be easy on the sandin or use very fine sand paper.

blood red
10-17-2002, 09:25 PM
what tip did u use on the dremmel? Thanx for all the info

crashinmatt
10-17-2002, 09:43 PM
i just used the cut-off discs with the one tip that they go on. i tried the thinner discs but me not being all thatsmooth, i kept on breakin them. i bought the thicker ones and they lasted a little longer but didnt get as many for the same price as the thinner ones. so either way.

oregonrider89
10-17-2002, 11:17 PM
I used the cutoff discs and then the buffer to smooth the edges. It worked great. If you don't have a tourch, or don't feel comfetable using one get the dremel, the discs and the buffer come with it. At least they did with my craftsman version of the dremel.

oregonrider89

blood red
10-18-2002, 09:10 AM
thanx for all the info. I got the fenders shaved last night and all i have to do now is smooth it all out. looks awesome.

cjpoole1
10-18-2002, 08:37 PM
On smoothing, I use an inexpensive electric palm sander with some fine sand paper. It knocks it out real quick, you can round the edges off nicely, and it will straighten out any not so straight cuts.