PDA

View Full Version : need help motor wont run

fruity87
06-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I recently bought a 1987 250r from a buddy that didnt run. It had a bad crank beiring i discovered so i changed it and put on a new stator. As long as i had it apart since i plan on racing it i had the cylinder bored out to a 68mm piston, now it just wont run right and the only way to get it started is to pull it with another four wheeler. It still has the factory 34mm carb on it that i have rebuilt. do i need a bigger carb. i have been trying to run 93 octane gas in it. do i need higher octane. Please if there is anyone out there that can help straiten me up please help i have a ton of money stuck into this thing and nothin.

312R1
06-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Did you do a compression test on it? What about a leak down test?

GT300
06-01-2007, 05:07 PM
You should be fine with the 93 octane since it does not seem that you have really high compression.

The stock carb is fine, you don't need a bigger one since your main concern is getting it to run right. Just make sure the jetting is correct.

kiesta00
06-01-2007, 07:37 PM
check your reeds, ground points for the ignition, etc

fruity87
06-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Thank you for the suggestions i will check those things out. It has a 160 main jet in it right now and it has a v-vorce delta 2 reed valve. also if anyone knows what other adjustments i might need to make to the carb please let me know i will try anything at this point. thanks again

downtown_sounds
06-03-2007, 11:02 PM
I bought one a few months ago that was the same way. I could kick and kick and would get nothing and being a 340 pv it got old kicking. It would pull start good and start after it ran most times but one not start cold. I tried a new coil after trying to start for 10 min one day then with the new coil it started 2nd kick and starts perfect now. It might not help but thought I would pass it on.

TheFontMaster
06-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Go through and check, and re check every electrical connection, and all the wires. There are stickys at the top of this section that show how to go through and check parts to see if they are working right. I would also go and perform a compression test. The symtoms that you have are common problems for a quad with too low compression.

Also your carb will be fine. You only really need to go with a bigger carb if you are putting on a big bore kit. Also you shouldn't be at a compression that is higher than what can be run with 93 octane. When you do a compression test, anything around or over 180 PSI you should run race gas.

Scott-300ex
06-04-2007, 05:28 PM
You don't need race gas.

I'm thinkin its your timing maybe.

And I couldn't kick mine over untill I turned the idle up and then kicked it and it started right away, so turn your idle up!

160 main sounds good but wuts your pilot?

I'd say electrical and Idle.