PDA

View Full Version : stuck at WOT

somewon
05-31-2007, 10:40 PM
has anyone else had a problem with sticking throttle? mine stuck last weekend, the bike tossed me off and drove itself 75 yards into a pond. it was revved out the whole way and didn't stop until it went about 25 yards into the pond and sunk. lucky for me I got away with only some scratches and a swollen ankle. Let me tell you, if you think your 525 is fast now, you should see it run without a rider.

I've dewatered it and it won't start. it turns over freely, but it still won't fire. I've drained all fluids, taken apart the carb, flushed the clinder, drained gas and oil, and put in a new plug and can't get it to fire.

just on a side note if I do get it running could someone do a compression test on their 525 and let me know what their pulling?

anyone want to take bets on what the dealer is going to say?

07 525 outlaw born on 11/16/06

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p243/AbbyNix/DSCF0220.jpg

smokinwrench
06-01-2007, 06:04 AM
I thought with the safety swiches in the throttle it was impossible for a Polaris atv to have a stuck throttle. My guess would be is that you have very little compression. If it went in that deep and hard into the water the only reason it would have died is because it sucked water into the cylinder and finally died from hydraulic locking. My guess would be is that you have some serious problems such as blown head gasket and bent rod. I hope it is way less serious then that.

somewon
06-01-2007, 07:05 AM
that's what I've been afraid of. I thought their system was supposte to eliminate stuck throttles too. my guess is it only works under a certain condition of stuck thottle, or that system is nonfunctioning on my machine.

katch26
06-01-2007, 07:12 AM
my pred did the same thing and no it didnt cut out. After I rolled mine it would start up and rev to the moon, off the throttle there is an adjustment down on the cable.

MentalState
06-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Clean it up real good and bring to dealer and play stupid... :)

also invest in a kill switch:D

Evasiveone
06-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Over the years, with 3 kids of riding age, several of mine have gone for unexpected deep baths. All of them have been extremely hard to get to start again. Some of them taking a couple of days going back and drying everything for multiple times. It has been the electrical connections in the past for me that have to get dry before they will start.

Hopefully it died from lack of air before water could fill the cylinder. A lot of times hydrolock damage will come when someone gets the quad out of the water and then hits the starter with the cylinder full of water. (trying to stay positive for you!)

eerhard09
06-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Hydrolock is your worst enemy at this point. If you tried to start it with H2O in it, you may have effed things up. When I was at Silver Lake this past weekend, actually 2 weeks ago, a blaster hydrolocked and put the motor into pieces, including the crank! If you tried to start it with lots of H2O in the motor, you may have messed it up!

nytfr8
06-02-2007, 01:51 AM
I'll bet after you get it running again, you spend the 30 bucks for a tether kill switch. I got tossed and had to chase the thing for quite a ways before it finally stopped in the trees. I went home and ordered the tether switch.

somewon
06-02-2007, 12:15 PM
I was thnking about buying one as I watched it haul @$$ into the pond.

Luckly I think i got all the water out before I started trying to crank it over. It spins freely, but just won't fire.

I took the plug out again this morning, and was greeted by antifreeze. So I either blew the gasket or cracked the head.

LT250_JOE
06-04-2007, 07:02 AM
I RODE MINE INTO A PUDDLE OVER THE WEEKEND AND SOON AS THE WATER TOUCHED THE FRONT END, ALL POWER WAS KILLED.

SHUT EVERY THING OFF, STARTED RIGHT UP AND DROVE AWAY.

I TURNED AROUND DROVE INTO THE SAME PUDDLE AND BANG SHE STALLED. FOUND WHAT I THINK IS THE CDI BOX RIGHT IN PLAIN VIEW BEHIND PLASTICS, UNPLUGGED AND FULL OF WATER. I'LL BE WRAPPIN THAT BABY IN PLASTIC/RUBBER BAG. WHAT A ****TY LOCATION.

CHECK YOURS FOR SPARK IF NONE THEN TAKE A LOOK AT THE "BLACK BOX"

somewon
06-05-2007, 06:49 AM
I've checked for spark, and I have good spark. I'm going to do a compression test today and see how low it is.

thanks for all the replys everyone!