PDA

View Full Version : powdercoating???

STEVER925
05-31-2007, 07:15 PM
how hard is it to powdercoat my 400ex frame?? do i have to rough the surface first? craftsmann has a powdercoating kit in their catolog I was thinking about geting it

JW450R1
06-01-2007, 12:19 PM
check out pappy at bk performance.hedoes good work

STEVER925
06-01-2007, 01:12 PM
were is he located?

JW450R1
06-01-2007, 01:52 PM
u can find pappy at the forum section under bk performance
or
http://www.bkperformanceonline.com/Forum/index.php

stovetop25
06-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Powdercoating will give you a very durable finish.

REDRIDDER
06-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by stovetop25
Powder coating will give you a very durable finish. Except when it chips.Once it chips forget it it will just start to come off,paint will last longer,powder coat will chip were paint will just scuff,also paint is easier to fix scratches or just to touch up powder coat if you want to touch it up you will need to tear her all the way down where with paint just find a spot clean it and spray i also recommend using PJ1s epoxy frame paint that stuff holds just as good as the factory frame paint,PJ1 is what i use and if you do what i did i just sand blasted the whole frame cleaned it with brake parts cleaner then primed it with rustoleum and sprayed it with 3 light coats let them dry in between each other and well la it looks great now alls i have to do is put her back together,this is just what i would do its less expensive and easier to maintain than powder coat,cause remember that with powder coats you have to bake them to get it to cure and look good,paint just spray,dont get me wrong i like powder coats but from what i seen i wouldn't want my whole frame done with it just for the simple fact its harder to maintain,also its your frame its probably going to get beat up nicked scratched and or scrapes anyways i would use powder coat if i just raced and didn't ride trails it does look great but i would use it on more of a show /race quad then a trail quad that's just my opinion though and i know people will disagree with me but that's how i see it so hoped to have maybe saved you money and time.

06-07-2007, 09:04 AM
powdercoating is more durable than paint if done right...pappy does it right...

REDRIDDER
06-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
powdercoating is more durable than paint if done right...pappy does it right... Yes i would agree that powder coating is durable on parts that are not exposed to the environment of an atv frame, very good looking on show cars ,trucks things of that nature you know,i should say that i was directing the negativity of powder coating towards using it on an atv frame only because of the abuse it may take I'm not arguing with you just trying to save stever925 some $ yes the powder coat will look very nice but for how long with out touch ups?this is in no way an argument to any one just my in site thanks

STEVER925
06-07-2007, 04:54 PM
WOW i THINK im GOING TO TRY THE PAINT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS FOR THE SEASON. i DO RACE AND I KNOW IT WILL GET DINGED AND SCRATCHED. THANKS WHAT KIND OF PAINT SHOULD i GET

REDRIDDER
06-07-2007, 10:05 PM
pj1 brother and you get it at rocky mt for like $7 a can.epoxy is good stuff tough.

JW450R1
06-08-2007, 05:11 AM
Good luck.Let us no how it all turns out.show some pics

Sjorge450R
06-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Pappys PC DOES NOT CHIP! I have it on my 300 and it still looks as good as it did when I got it back from him a year ago.

REDRIDDER
06-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
Pappys PC DOES NOT CHIP! I have it on my 300 and it still looks as good as it did when I got it back from him a year ago. how much did you pay for pc cause i think stever925 is looking for the cheaper way out.

Sjorge450R
06-08-2007, 07:10 PM
well pappy really helped me out. I think he charges like 175 for the frame in a solid color and a little more for a translucent. I actually just painted my R frame because I needed money for the motor and stuff and it came out good, probaly because of my prep on it(took almost a week) so I think that may hold up better, but if not, pappy will definently see my R frame. Here is the R right after I put her together, minus plastic.

Sjorge450R
06-08-2007, 07:12 PM
here is a closer picture. I stripped to the bare frame, then primered with wet sandable auto primer and then shot with Rustolium Textured And then cleared it with Rustolium Crystal clear enamal.

pro-rider46
06-08-2007, 08:45 PM
i painted my a arms with ppg paint. the people who are ppg dealers normally can mix paint in front of you then put it in to the spray cans , IT IS AWESOME. but still is not as durable as pc

stocktires
06-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
Except when it chips.Once it chips forget it it will just start to come off,paint will last longer,powder coat will chip were paint will just scuff,also paint is easier to fix scratches or just to touch up powder coat if you want to touch it up you will need to tear her all the way down where with paint just find a spot clean it and spray i also recommend using PJ1s epoxy frame paint that stuff holds just as good as the factory frame paint,PJ1 is what i use and if you do what i did i just sand blasted the whole frame cleaned it with brake parts cleaner then primed it with rustoleum and sprayed it with 3 light coats let them dry in between each other and well la it looks great now alls i have to do is put her back together,this is just what i would do its less expensive and easier to maintain than powder coat,cause remember that with powder coats you have to bake them to get it to cure and look good,paint just spray,dont get me wrong i like powder coats but from what i seen i wouldn't want my whole frame done with it just for the simple fact its harder to maintain,also its your frame its probably going to get beat up nicked scratched and or scrapes anyways i would use powder coat if i just raced and didn't ride trails it does look great but i would use it on more of a show /race quad then a trail quad that's just my opinion though and i know people will disagree with me but that's how i see it so hoped to have maybe saved you money and time.

WOW! That seriously has to be the longest sentence in history! Powdercoat is better, and that's all there is to it.

Pappy
06-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
Yes i would agree that powder coating is durable on parts that are not exposed to the environment of an atv frame, very good looking on show cars ,trucks things of that nature you know,i should say that i was directing the negativity of powder coating towards using it on an atv frame only because of the abuse it may take I'm not arguing with you just trying to save stever925 some $ yes the powder coat will look very nice but for how long with out touch ups?this is in no way an argument to any one just my in site thanks

I have done over 1200 atv, motocycle, street bike frames etc, and not one has ever come back due to the powder failing from my workmanship. Powdercoat is paint, it is just applied in a different manner and heat cured. Once cured it can be treated as paint, touched up, painted over and much more. PC is 10 times more durable then any standard paint, and will resist chipping far more then any liquid paint will. Powder coat was created to solve issues that paint couldnt, and being exposed to the elements is one of them. Yes, certain powders dont like UV but neither do most paints. Any coating, wether it be paint, chrome or powdercoat will flake once it is exposed if its bond is sacrificed.

There is no arguement to win, powdercoat is the fastest growing paint system on the planet and has been for the past 10 years. In another 15 years liquid paint will be a memory for the majority of metal coating needs.

440rdr1
03-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
I have done over 1200 atv, motocycle, street bike frames etc, and not one has ever come back due to the powder failing from my workmanship. Powdercoat is paint, it is just applied in a different manner and heat cured. Once cured it can be treated as paint, touched up, painted over and much more. PC is 10 times more durable then any standard paint, and will resist chipping far more then any liquid paint will. Powder coat was created to solve issues that paint couldnt, and being exposed to the elements is one of them. Yes, certain powders dont like UV but neither do most paints. Any coating, wether it be paint, chrome or powdercoat will flake once it is exposed if its bond is sacrificed.

There is no arguement to win, powdercoat is the fastest growing paint system on the planet and has been for the past 10 years. In another 15 years liquid paint will be a memory for the majority of metal coating needs.

well said