PDA

View Full Version : 440 Questions

davetheslave
05-31-2007, 02:19 PM
So I have read all these posts back a year, and I have a few mixed opinions that I have heard about certain things you need to do on a 440 install. So I just kinda want to hear some opinions about a few things. Im doing a 12.5:1 440, with a stage 2 hot cam, and a 450r carb, port and polish, and big gun full exhaust. so heres my questions:

1. HD studs? half say its a yes, and half say its not needed if you torque the bolts tighter. What do you guys think?

2. hardened rockers and valve springs? I havent heard a strait answer to that question from anyone.

3. I live at 5,000 feet, and was wondering where I should start as far as jetting the 450r carb. ( Atleast a ball park so I can go from there). Thanks guys.

Ruby Soho
05-31-2007, 03:35 PM
studs YES. better safe than sorry anyways.

you don't need the hardened rockers and valve springs, but its a nice plus

400exrider707
05-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by davetheslave
So I have read all these posts back a year, and I have a few mixed opinions that I have heard about certain things you need to do on a 440 install. So I just kinda want to hear some opinions about a few things. Im doing a 12.5:1 440, with a stage 2 hot cam, and a 450r carb, port and polish, and big gun full exhaust. so heres my questions:

1. HD studs? half say its a yes, and half say its not needed if you torque the bolts tighter. What do you guys think?

2. hardened rockers and valve springs? I havent heard a strait answer to that question from anyone.

3. I live at 5,000 feet, and was wondering where I should start as far as jetting the 450r carb. ( Atleast a ball park so I can go from there). Thanks guys.

HD head studs are great and much needed on anything 11:1 and over

Hardened rocker faces are only needed if using a hardweld cam. This is because if you run a hardweld cam and stock rockers, it will eat up the rocker faces. If you stick to a billet cam like a hotcam, there is no need for them. If you run hardened rockers on a billet cam it will eat your cam up. You must match the surfaces. Most web cams are hardweld cams and hotcams are billet. Hope this helps explain.