PDA

View Full Version : jetting please help

SET THE STAGE
05-31-2007, 02:03 PM
okay, so i'm trying to fine tune my 300ex that has a 400ex carb on it. i'm now running a 42 pilot, 145 main, and the clip on the 3rd notch.

my problem is that when i go from it idling to like 3/4 - wot, it bogs. i can give it like 1/4 throttle and it sounds like a beast. runs great. no more backfiring now that i installed a bigger pilot, etc. but when i put on the choke, it doesn't bog like it would from idle to 3/4 without it. what's the deal? should i just start running it with the choke on? lolz

help please

jlraska
05-31-2007, 07:44 PM
i do not know anything about hondas but a little about carbs. if the choke makes it run better then you need more fuel. try a larger main, raise the needle. jetting is just trial and error.

SET THE STAGE
05-31-2007, 07:58 PM
well see i thought that too at first, but when i tried a bigger jet it just seemed to bog out more?

is it the further up on the needle the richer? i can't find it anywhere

Sparky_20
05-31-2007, 10:26 PM
what does your plug look like? it sounds to me like your running too lean, you should not be running with the choke on. Bump up your main jet and try adjusting the needle

SET THE STAGE
05-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Sparky_20
what does your plug look like? it sounds to me like your running too lean, you should not be running with the choke on. Bump up your main jet and try adjusting the needle

the plug is blackish which makes me think it's running rich, but it runs better with the choke on?

this whole situation is really really bugging me.

also, i would try adjusting the needle, but i'm not sure which makes it richer or leaner..