PDA

View Full Version : REAL 400 ex turbo kit?

TYayo420
05-31-2007, 01:44 PM
as i seen another post, someone was talking about a turbo kit, i looked online, i can;t find any, ju7st for rappy's, does anyone know where to find a turbo kit besides this site that is under construction?

kmsperformance.com

Just curious to see them online, thanks!

Honda#4
05-31-2007, 02:08 PM
not that I know of, but with that turbo system it doubles your HP but for $3000 i think it is I rather buy a front suspension system for that.

If your a duner then is a great thing to have.

400EXTRA
05-31-2007, 02:28 PM
iv seen them befor but there very expensive

TYayo420
05-31-2007, 03:05 PM
nah im not a duner, and 450r shocks are as good as ineed, i think 4k elka shocks would be nice, but there shocks lmao i tt race, so what do i need great cushioning for? r shocks would be great enough.

1965 honda
05-31-2007, 03:40 PM
http://www.paatving.com/Articles/turbo400ex/turbo400ex.asp
this a nice one ill look for more though.

1965 honda
05-31-2007, 03:43 PM
turbo kit for 400ex - $2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-325740758@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-05-06, 7:02PM MST

Turbo charge fuel injection kit. Comes with intercooler, fuel pump, oil cooler, oil tank, computer system, and everythig else you can think of. It will turn your 400 into a monster. 602 380-8708 or jesseandfaith@yahoo.com

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 325740758

400exrider707
05-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by TYayo420
i tt race, so what do i need great cushioning for? r shocks would be great enough.

You're kidding me right?

TYayo420
05-31-2007, 10:15 PM
at the skill level im at right now, i dont see fit in dropping 3g's on some elka's at the moment.

Those kit's are pretty cool, i might look into one of them pretty soon, i am not fond of the intake being under the fender though like the one site has it, due to wetness hitting it and such.

CarGuy7a
05-31-2007, 10:25 PM
personally i would take the 3 grand and sell my quad and invest in a bigger one. like a 450 or something.

TYayo420
05-31-2007, 10:25 PM
that would be a pain in the *** to jet, think abou tit, if you have the turbo 'off' it'd be fine for your jetting, but what if you want it on? then the jetting would be messed up wouldn't it? i see some on ebay that you can get to work for a ex im sure, going for 45-300, but the jetting would be your downfall, or would it? just have to run it on all the time im guessing right?

TYayo420
05-31-2007, 10:41 PM
well after doing alot of searing, i seem to have found a 15psi universal turbo kit for cars, small enough to get into a airbox, if not a little modifications it would fit for 200$. I also seen some blow off valves that go with them, im sure if someone has 300-350$ to spend to check it out, someone would have a fast quad.

400exrider707
06-01-2007, 06:18 AM
at the skill level im at right now, i dont see fit in dropping 3g's on some elka's at the moment.

Ok that makes more sense.:macho

400exrider707
06-01-2007, 06:19 AM
well after doing alot of searing, i seem to have found a 15psi universal turbo kit for cars, small enough to get into a airbox, if not a little modifications it would fit for 200$. I also seen some blow off valves that go with them, im sure if someone has 300-350$ to spend to check it out, someone would have a fast quad.

A 400ex is not going to hold 15psi, you would have to do very very serious mods. You also need a forged piston, you would probably have to lower compression... I'm sure someone more knowledgable on the subject can inform you.

j450rking
06-01-2007, 06:35 AM
no a ex definetly would not hold 15psi i don't think it ever would a would look in to somthing like 5psi and then you would want to at the least keep stock comp.

i have seen a few exs with 3000gt turbos b/c the 3000gt is a twin turbo car it has 2 small turbos so they are just about right
but i don't think you would ever get jetting right maybe on a efi that has atleast some auto ajustment

1965 honda
06-01-2007, 08:32 AM
jetting is imporant but when you put a turbo on you have to have a fuel pump to compinsate. so jetting would not be as hard as you think.

TYayo420
06-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
A 400ex is not going to hold 15psi, you would have to do very very serious mods. You also need a forged piston, you would probably have to lower compression... I'm sure someone more knowledgable on the subject can inform you.

Yeah that would be alot of pressure for a stock motor. I seen some turbo kits that are 2-3 psi. Before turbo was mentioned in the past couple of days, i was never interested in oing it, but the more i read about it, find kits that are smaller, the more it sparks my interest. I know it needs a fuel pump, so that would help jetting some, but my quyestion is, would the fuel pump put too much fuel into the motor and choke it out now? most fuel pumps for turbos are for turbo's with 10+psi, where can someone find a low pressure fuel pump so i wouldn't choke the carb with gas? Or is the 2-3 psi turbo not strong enough to need a pump and a gravity fed carb supply it with sufficient fuel supply? Also, since the ex is 24.7 hp stock, the 2-3 psi turbo would then act like a 15psi turbo on a let's say 230hp eclipse? like basically be big enough and pretty big as would a normal turbo for a car?

1965 honda
06-01-2007, 08:57 AM
dude i put a link on here yesterday for that.
http://www.paatving.com/Articles/tu.../turbo400ex.asp

TYayo420
06-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
Hey this page is dead,my thoughts on the turbo,well it would be awsome if 1 it was afordable 2 in mass production and 3 find out how hard it is to install jet ect....

1. It is affordable, here are a couple ones that would work, with some mods yes but will work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Racing-Electric-Supercharger-Turbo-Nitrous-Boost-HP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33741QQihZ014QQitemZ 330126077833QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Supercharger-Add-HP-TURBO-Mirage-Suzuki_W0QQitemZ180124799075QQihZ008QQcategoryZ724 78QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

theres's more on ebay. As someone said, use a 300gt turbo cuz they have 2, and you can use 1, cuz it would be smaller then normal also, there not pricey but if you buy the atv kit it is, so you go cheap route and make your own

2. there in mass production the ones i showed you, and the ones i showed, i know i could get to fit into my atv airbox well maybe mod the box bigger, and it'd work.

3. the jetting i thinbk would be easy, as someone said, a fuel pump, but im guessing also, if you wanna jet it right, you must have it jetted for the turbo cuz once its off then your jetting is out of whack, but as long as you plan to run a turbo all the time unless imw rong jetting would be fine.

the link was dead dude still lookin for a low pressure fuel pump.

TYayo420
06-01-2007, 09:42 AM
well then, i forgot, i would also have to upgrade my cooling system with prolly some high presure lines from a cbr am i right? and cooler as well, do you think it'd need this? and also a bigger tank might be right with this or?

if i try this soon, i would try it with my stock cooling system if it works id upgrade if needed.

Batavia's450r
06-01-2007, 10:01 AM
shocks are more important for TT... i have stock 450r shocks on my r and hate them... and you main probelm is handeling on that bike... if it handles its faster... then a fast bike you cant keep going forward and spinning out!!! shocks... and if you want to go fast then throw a 440 kit in it. its proven a 450r carb and run the daylights out of it... and if you want to see how to set up your bike come over and look at my dads ex thats how to set up a tt bike... theres really not to many ex's still out there runnin tt... and you should at least throw an axle in the back and get TT tires american racers preferably...
Norm thats just my input lol theres no logic behind a turbo for TT for what you want it for your only racing batavia.. but handeling and shocks are a must in TT thats what really brought cameron to the front of that pro class was those P E P's he was running

1965 honda
06-01-2007, 10:03 AM
the link works on page 1 but not on 2

TYayo420
06-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Batavia's450r
shocks are more important for TT... i have stock 450r shocks on my r and hate them... and you main probelm is handeling on that bike... if it handles its faster... then a fast bike you cant keep going forward and spinning out!!! shocks... and if you want to go fast then throw a 440 kit in it. its proven a 450r carb and run the daylights out of it... and if you want to see how to set up your bike come over and look at my dads ex thats how to set up a tt bike... theres really not to many ex's still out there runnin tt... and you should at least throw an axle in the back and get TT tires american racers preferably...
Norm thats just my input lol theres no logic behind a turbo for TT for what you want it for your only racing batavia.. but handeling and shocks are a must in TT thats what really brought cameron to the front of that pro class was those P E P's he was running

By no Means do i want it for tt lol, i know handling is where it'[s at...

But the talk of having one sparked my interests. Im not saying im going to get one today, or anytime soon, or at all, but it does sound like it'd be a cool thing to have. I dont want a 440 kit, cuz i read everywhere that it is to thin of a cylinder wall, and less reliability. Ill get a high comp piston and cams and be set, for what i need the quad for.

But if it could be figured out how to get one on a ex, and working, i think the skeptical people on here would be wanting to have one on there quads lol

400exrider707
06-01-2007, 11:50 AM

dont want a 440 kit, cuz i read everywhere that it is to thin of a cylinder wall, and less reliability.

That is untrue. A 440 can be built to be very reliable. The only one that really has problems with the cylinder walls being to thin is a bored 426. It is the last bore available on the stock cylinder so to bore that large you would have thing walls. You can resleeve though and run a 426 or 440 reliably.

Ill get a high comp piston and cams

Just "a" cam, only one in the 400ex, probably just typed too fast, I'm sure you already knew this.

Originally posted by TYayo420 But if it could be figured out how to get one on a ex, and working,

It has been figured out, the companies who sell the turbo kits have it figured out. It would be nothing new.

TYayo420
06-01-2007, 12:02 PM
That is untrue. A 440 can be built to be very reliable. The only one that really has problems with the cylinder walls being to thin is a bored 426. It is the last bore available on the stock cylinder so to bore that large you would have thing walls. You can resleeve though and run a 426 or 440 reliably.

Just "a" cam, only one in the 400ex, probably just typed too fast, I'm sure you already knew this.

It has been figured out, the companies who sell the turbo kits have it figured out. It would be nothing new.

I know companies have figured it out, and it is nothing new. But who the hell wants to spend 2g's or more on a turbo kit if they can construct there own, after working all the bugs out of it by talking with ppl about it such as were doing.

Also, if it can be done from a 3000gt turbo, then someone should try it, and or post a how to on it, with pics and detailed instructions, and a ride report and etc. No arguement from me that it's not a new thing, i would rather not try those electric turbo things, but get the real deal for a car, but a smaller one. I was also looking into a subaru wrx sti stock turbo, but cannot find info on how much psi it pushes. I found a couple i think would work with some simple air boxs mods, fuel pump, gauge(s) and some cooling upgrades.

Also, don't take it as im trying to do this for my personal wants like what i mean is, i know i don't need a turbo system on my quad, but i like trying things out and seeing if it can be done now that this topic is in there air, i wish someone who made their own turbo kit for a ex would chime in with some insight that would make this alot simpliar then trying it ourselves lol.

400exrider707
06-01-2007, 12:05 PM
I know companies have figured it out, and it is nothing new. But who the hell wants to spend 2g's or more on a turbo kit if they can construct there own, after working all the bugs out of it by talking with ppl about it such as were doing.

Also, if it can be done from a 3000gt turbo, then someone should try it, and or post a how to on it, with pics and detailed instructions, and a ride report and etc. No arguement from me that it's not a new thing, i would rather not try those electric turbo things, but get the real deal for a car, but a smaller one. I was also looking into a subaru wrx sti stock turbo, but cannot find info on how much psi it pushes. I found a couple i think would work with some simple air boxs mods, fuel pump, gauge(s) and some cooling upgrades.

Also, don't take it as im trying to do this for my personal wants like what i mean is, i know i don't need a turbo system on my quad, but i like trying things out and seeing if it can be done now that this topic is in there air, i wish someone who made their own turbo kit for a ex would chime in with some insight that would make this alot simpliar then trying it ourselves lol.

Looks like you will be the pioneer on the project...:blah:

Check out the under 350cc threads, there is a guy doing a 250ex turbo build up, and there is a lot of info as well as some suggested turbos.:cool:

TYayo420
06-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Looks like you will be the pioneer on the project...:blah:

Check out the under 350cc threads, there is a guy doing a 250ex turbo build up, and there is a lot of info as well as some suggested turbos.:cool:

Awesome, thanks ill look into it.

Batavia's450r
06-01-2007, 07:41 PM
idk our 440 has been together for over a year and she doesnt skip a beat and kicks *** on the TT track but we will freshen her up this week and make her faster any how!!!

TYayo420
06-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Batavia's450r
idk our 440 has been together for over a year and she doesnt skip a beat and kicks *** on the TT track but we will freshen her up this week and make her faster any how!!!

no doubt about it your 440 is nice, ive seen it in person myself, i love how it looks too no doubt its a great machine.

Just the turbo even tho i dont need it for my ridin area and racing i do, it's something new to me and no one i know around here or at all has it done, something that seems tricky, but something i would like to mess around with to see what all goes into something like this.

mcleod
06-02-2007, 10:34 PM
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/turbo_kits/honda_ex400.html

gearhead400
06-03-2007, 12:36 AM
i'll probably turbo my 400 in a year or so when i have the supplies tools to build and tune it myself. thats bad *** that garret makes a kit for the 400!

TYayo420
06-03-2007, 08:10 AM
This system allows you to keep the same displacement, bore & stroke, and compression ratio as the stock set-up. With a minimal weight gain of just 20lbs, this kit will generate nearly double the horsepower! With the estimated 12-14 psi of boost, an increase in carburetor throttle size is required - from a 35.5mm throttle body to a fuel injected system with a 40mm throttle body to handle the increased boost. This is some major power you will feel in the seat of your pants!

that is a quote from the garret site...it gives a ex 12-14 psi...so again why buy this for 4g's, you can get a 3000gt or eclipse turbo that will work and give the same boast, and you can do it for 10x cheaper, that is such a rippo

Carter
06-03-2007, 02:07 PM
It's not just about the relative boost pressures. More about flow & matching to the motor.

You can't just take any turbo that spools that much 'pressure' on one application and slap it on anything and get it to work.

j450rking
06-03-2007, 03:08 PM
diferent turbos spool at diferent rpms

mcleod
06-03-2007, 07:31 PM
same psi with different cfm make diferent power output!

1965 honda
06-03-2007, 07:51 PM
you are playing with fire there TYayo420. you will blow the shxt out of your motor if the turbo spools up to fast. but goog luck

TYayo420
06-03-2007, 09:34 PM
haha no im not, im still looking into this alone since everyone stopped talking about it on here. Im looking for a smaller car turbo, that is small in size, and psi wise, not sure if id do it, but looking into it, and seeing what i need to go with it, and what to get it to work right, if you guys find any info, let me know cuz id greatly appreciate it.

flauge
06-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Does anybody remember that turbo 400ex that was in dirt wheels back in like 99 or 00? If i remember right it was also in Turbo magazine around the same time. Anyway that thing was crazy! It had a full HKS setup ....... but it was still carbureted:eek: . I dont remember how they pulled that one off but part of it was a low pressure fuel pump and a boost dependent FPR.

On a stock bottom end, id be kinda scared to run that garret kit because of the boost its pushing. :eek2:

flauge
06-03-2007, 10:30 PM
I found it!
http://www.paatving.com/Articles/turbo400ex/turbo400ex.asp

Carter
06-03-2007, 10:54 PM
haha no im not, im still looking into this alone since everyone stopped talking about it on here. Im looking for a smaller car turbo, that is small in size, and psi wise, not sure if id do it, but looking into it, and seeing what i need to go with it, and what to get it to work right, if you guys find any info, let me know cuz id greatly appreciate it.

It has nothing to do with boost, and everything to do with matching a turbocharger to your engine by reading and interpreting the flow maps for both the turbo & engine.

The 400EX will not flow enough to spool a late model car turbo, perhaps one off of an old Sprint or something, but that's getting a bit rare now.

TYayo420
06-04-2007, 09:06 AM
a 3000 gt one would work. or any car, that has twin turbo's cuz you can use one of the twin turbos on your ex, it would be small enough to work then wouldnt it? someone said they seen someone use a 3000 gt turbo after all.

400exrider707
06-04-2007, 11:43 AM
a 3000 gt one would work. or any car, that has twin turbo's cuz you can use one of the twin turbos on your ex, it would be small enough to work then wouldnt it? someone said they seen someone use a 3000 gt turbo after all.

Here's the link to the 250EX turbo build...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=280947