PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Troubles

RichM1983
05-31-2007, 01:28 PM
I have been working on my 250R project for a while now and its completely finished but I have a problem with my pipe. Its an LRD adjustable pipe and I have it mounted and its touching both cooling hoses that it pases, the one the comes from the bottom of the radiator and goes to the water pump and the one that comes from the water pump and goes into the top of the cylinder. They are stock hoses so I would think they should have plenty of clearance but they dont. If I run it wont it melt the cooling hoses? I can wrap them in reflective stuff but its rubbing them and the reflective tape wont help much when its actually touching. What should I do? I know its mounted right because its so tight theres only a small amount of play in it. No matter how I move it its touching the hoses. The silencer is an LRD unit to but I have never used them together because I just picked the pipe up. Before I was just running the stock pipe. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

cdrookie
05-31-2007, 03:45 PM
post a pick please. i was running an adjustable LRD pipe and silencer and wasn't near the hoses...

LathersR
05-31-2007, 04:16 PM
it will be fine.. all of my R's did the same thing.. lrd is a large overall pipe.. and those hoses are heat resistant rubber up to a certain degree .. in your case your r won't melt them.. a stock r only runs around 120-150 degrees.. you'll be fine!

RichM1983
06-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the input. Ill try to get a picture. Anyone else have any ideas?

Scottt89
06-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Do you have the mount that holds it to the frame?

matt250r21
06-01-2007, 04:42 PM
You do not want the pipe touching your coolant hoses. I use to have an LRD pipe and it was no where near the hoses. I would remove the silencer and unbolt the top pipe mount, then move the pipe around until you get it where it needs to be. You should be able to get it to clear everything without to much work. I remember I made my own top bracket to bolt that pipe to my frame, you might want to try that.

250r4life
06-01-2007, 04:50 PM
hoses touching pipe is not a good idea... and your pipe is a lot hotter than 120-150 degrees i gurrantee! the coolant inside to cylinder and hoses gets hotter than that, so that pipe is considerably hotter...

if you dont know what youre talking about- dont give people bad advice!

norcalduner
06-02-2007, 07:31 AM
You can try to use a Banshee exhaust pipe bracket to extend adjustability of your LRD pipe mount or you can buy 2 inch diameter radiator hose, split it in the middle and wrap it around the coolant hoses that are touching the pipe. I have used this technique to avoid pipe dents and/or rubbing on the frame. If you need pics, I can get them for you. Good luck.

LathersR
06-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
hoses touching pipe is not a good idea... and your pipe is a lot hotter than 120-150 degrees i gurrantee! the coolant inside to cylinder and hoses gets hotter than that, so that pipe is considerably hotter...

if you dont know what youre talking about- dont give people bad advice!

Sorry bud the coolant dont run no hotter than 120-150 degrees (give or take a few)... invest in a temp. gauge and TRY AGAIN!

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t206/lathersr/330r8.jpg

RichM1983
06-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I tried getting this pipe to work with no luck. I took the silencer off, loosened the bolts and nuts that hold the pipe together, and took off the pipe springs. NO matter how I move the pipe it will touch the lines. Theres nothing I can do. Making my own hanger wont solve anything either because I cant pull or push the pipe in any way and make it not touch the lines. I can make it clear the line that comes from the bottom of the radiator and goes to the water pump by using a longer hose that makes it curve more, atleast I think I can. BUT the hose that runs from the water pump to the top of the cylinder is impossible to clear. The only thing I can think of is that someone has bent the pipe down where the bend is that goes throught the frame. This bend makes it sit to close to the motor. I dont see how it could have got bent but thats the only thing I can think of. I dont want to try and bend it either because I dont want to break it.

I have plenty of time to get it together right because I tried to start my motor yesterday and nothing. It wont even hit. I know its getting spark, gas, and plenty of compression. Im lost on that one to. The thing about it is that it ran fine before taking it apart. I have had more trouble with this motor than anything.

matt250r21
06-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Guess LRD changed the bend in their pipes. My LRD team B pipe fit my 88 and 97 Leagers fine. It has been 5 years since I ran that pipe though. Best advice I can give you is get the pipe as far from the 2 hoses as you can, then wrap the hoses in a split rad hose or some type of heat isolating tape. Mabey like hot rod header tape.