PDA

View Full Version : Stock vs.Aftermarket Skids!!!

10-26-2001, 06:08 PM
Do you guys think it's worth the money to go ahead and get aftermarket skids or do you think the stockers are good enough???

JabberJaw
10-26-2001, 06:50 PM
I had some afterdinner skids before, and we have some stockers in our neighborhood, but I couldn't really tell you which is worse.

crday98
10-27-2001, 12:19 AM
jabberjaw,every time i read one of your posts i crack up:D

get rid of the stockers,i swear they make them out of soda cans on every quad.i have yet to see a stock skid last more than 2 weeks of riding on anyones quad i know.

10-27-2001, 08:16 AM
I have a DG rear skid plate. Its decent and is holding up pretty
good! Its way beter then stock! The first time I went riding
I hit a couple of rocks and it was destroyed! The DG is holdng
up strong. I think it could be a little cheaper tho. I think you
just paying for the DG logo. I'm getting a full skid plate fronm AC
racing. I hate the sounds of rocks hitting my frame! d@mn rocks

Zack.

trueblue450
10-27-2001, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by crday98
jabberjaw,every time i read one of your po$t$ i crack up:D

get rid of the $tocker$,i $wear they make them out of $oda can$ on every quad.i have yet to $ee a $tock $kid la$t more than 2 week$ of riding on anyone$ quad i know.

$weet po$t. Why are you writing all your $'$ with a $? I think any aftermarket $kid plate i$ better than nothing.

crday98
10-27-2001, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by 300EX_Man

$weet po$t. Why are you writing all your $'$ with a $? I think any aftermarket $kid plate i$ better than nothing.

:D the letter that i am not u$ing i$ broken,$o the ($) will have to do until i get a chance to get a new keyboard.:D i have alzo uzed the (Z)in another thread if anyone elze iz wondering.:blah

Smoker
10-28-2001, 12:56 AM
Unless the stock ones are destroyed or need improvement (stock 400ex plastic belly skid, why bother?) the stockers hold up pretty well. The aluminum look sharp and save weight, I have AC Racing but everyone has a preference. I think of it as protecting my investment, brake rotors and engine cases can get expensive.;)

crday98
10-28-2001, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Smoker
the stockers hold up pretty well.

hey smoker,just what are you smoking???????:D

Smoker
10-28-2001, 04:39 PM
Depends, what do you got?:p

400exJOE
10-28-2001, 04:58 PM
It really depends on what bike you have. A 300ex seems to have ok protection, but a 400ex needs some help. The swing arm one is good but the chassis plastic skid is garbage. I have an AC racing chassis skid plate on my 400 and its scary to see the gashes in it from running over rocks or stumps! An aftermarket skid will also help you to slide along with less friction in mud and snow. They are definatly a worthy investment. They also add really no weight.

DeDo
10-29-2001, 01:51 PM
My two cents on the skid plates...

I replaced the oem swingarm skidplate after two weeks due to the terrain in which I ride - Southern New England - too many rocks and such. After taking a look at the stocker after two weeks it was a mess and dented - I purchased a DG (Baja) swingarm skid plate and then the full frame and a-arm guards, too.

Everyone I ride with is on a sport/utility or 4x4 so they do not have clearance problems - with the protection I have now I am able to "slide" over a lot more stuff and do not worry about it.

I recommend the DGs although I have limited experience - I guess my point is I am very satisfied with the way they have performed and the price I paid (purchased through Ronnies)...

Hope this helps

John

RIKR4X
10-31-2001, 03:44 PM
has anyone tried the stainless steel skid plate? i have the moose skid and its bending alot.

trueblue450
10-31-2001, 04:40 PM
I know I am going to get some aftermarket skids now. I was cleanin the quad today and find a nice indent in the a-arms. Don't know what did it but its not good. I would rather buy a 50 skid then buying a 500 a-arm.

Foxrage
10-31-2001, 05:39 PM
If that indent is on the inside of your a arm like near the wheel it is suppose to be there.

Braff1
11-01-2001, 01:33 PM
I have an Exreme Fabrication skid plate on my 300 EX. While cleaning her up after a weekend ride I notices all the dings and guauges in the metal. Now I say it was a worthy investment.

Dan