View Full Version : 13 tooth sprocket?

ZSK
05-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Just looking on some feedback for switching to a 13 tooth sprocket. It seems like I'm too hard on the clutch or constantly stalling out.

parkers30
05-31-2007, 01:03 PM
I run a 13 for play riding some of the time, I find it to be to short for racing though and end up hunting for the right gear to much.

ZSK
05-31-2007, 01:33 PM
So you're telling me to ride faster and not worry?

parkers30
05-31-2007, 02:49 PM
yep :blah:

I do like it when play riding in tight woods though, with everyone else on 400's I just can't go that slow with factory gearing. we have a take the trail less travled style that lead to lots of slow going.

MY biggest complaint is that I find myself constantly jumping between gears if I am riding hard in the woods. With factory gearing and I pick a gear and stay in it until I get back in the open. If you want to give it shot with a 13, I'll be at a race at somepoint this summer and have a few extras

jubileeatv
05-31-2007, 04:49 PM
13 tooth gives you more on the low end, i got an 05yfz450 and stay neck to neck with my buddies raptor, the hook up response is better but you can only know this by riding phuckn hard brother.

peace

haulnass,suckngas

:devil:

jshtex
05-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by ZSK
Just looking on some feedback for switching to a 13 tooth sprocket. It seems like I'm too hard on the clutch or constantly stalling out.

If your having issues with the clutch, switching to a 13 will only make you have to shift more. You will accelerate faster but will lose top end speed. If you went up to a 15 you would have more top end but accelerate slower.

If your problem is stalling out you should, first off, turn up your idle speed a little bit. That might not help but it is free.

If that doesn't work then you might want to look into a heavier flywheel. Thats what they are made for. Trailtech (among others) makes them.

ZSK
06-01-2007, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by jubileeatv
13 tooth gives you more on the low end, i got an 05yfz450 and stay neck to neck with my buddies raptor, the hook up response is better but you can only know this by riding phuckn hard brother.

peace

haulnass,suckngas

:devil:

Every time I throw a leg over the quad I'm riding hard. Parker can vouch for my riding style.;)

Originally posted by jshtex
If your having issues with the clutch, switching to a 13 will only make you have to shift more. You will accelerate faster but will lose top end speed. If you went up to a 15 you would have more top end but accelerate slower.

If your problem is stalling out you should, first off, turn up your idle speed a little bit. That might not help but it is free.

If that doesn't work then you might want to look into a heavier flywheel. Thats what they are made for. Trailtech (among others) makes them.

By issues, I mean that I'm on my 3rd one since July 05, all stock replacement components. It seems that first is almost too low for me and that's where my stalling is happening and I'm constantly clutching 3rd because 2nd is too low. Seems like I could stay in 3rd for the tight stuff instead. Sprockets are cheap and easy to change.

BigMike
06-01-2007, 11:05 AM
I bought a 13T front sprocket this morning. I am going to try it out this weekend. I have a one half mile MX track on my property that is very tight and pretty technical. I find that I never get out of third gear and I down shift a lot. I am hoping that gearing down a little will pull a little stronger down low and allow me to get into 4th gear on the straights.

Mike

nicker71
06-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I put a 13 tooth on my 05 and Im happy with it, it gave me so much more low end to lug around in the woods. Before I put my 13 tooth in I put a +8oz flywheel from trailtech and didn't really feel a big difference like I thought I would. ( should have went with a +12oz) But now with the 13 tooth and the heavier flywheel I can release the clutch a idle and it doesnt stall.

MJNOVA
06-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I run a 13T on one and 14 on the other. For shorter races it makes the bike quicker---it alos tires you out from the constant hit. Top end is just fine---there isn't a track you will run out of gear on...

parkers30
06-13-2007, 02:14 PM
What tracks are you talking about MJNOVA? From what I have seen there are a fair aount of places on some of the GNCC tracks that people are in 5th tapped.

I know over the weekend at an Iowa race they had some long field sections that I was in 5th on the rev limiter with a 14t. Many of the OMA races are the same way, I have never raced a GNCC though.

MJNOVA
06-14-2007, 06:28 AM
GNCC or D14 races. Many times I am in 5th, but there is a difference in 5th and 5th tapped. Most bikes have some much extra tire and wheel weight they will not pull the rev limiter with 14/38 gearing. My tires are also taller then stock meaning if I were to hit the rev limiter I would be in the 75-76 MPH range---I am sure I haven't hit that speed at a GNCC or a local. Gearing in my opinion is more related to rider then actual speed. I like to rev the motor all the time, others like to lug and shift less. All that said, I will happily race any other YFZ setup for CC/HS racing and show 13/38 works just fine.

jshtex
06-14-2007, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by MJNOVA
All that said, I will happily race any other YFZ setup for CC/HS racing and show 13/38 works just fine.

My son's riding style sounds a lot like yours, he stays in the top of the rpm range pretty much all the time. And 13/38 just wouldn't cut it on the tracks we run down here in Texas. Heck we had a track last year that actually had about two miles of dry lake bed in it. While it wasn't technically challenging it was a lot of fun to see all those quads running that fast. We ran a 15/38 at that place and could have used a little more.

parkers30
06-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by MJNOVA
GNCC or D14 races. Many times I am in 5th, but there is a difference in 5th and 5th tapped. Most bikes have some much extra tire and wheel weight they will not pull the rev limiter with 14/38 gearing. My tires are also taller then stock meaning if I were to hit the rev limiter I would be in the 75-76 MPH range---I am sure I haven't hit that speed at a GNCC or a local. Gearing in my opinion is more related to rider then actual speed. I like to rev the motor all the time, others like to lug and shift less. All that said, I will happily race any other YFZ setup for CC/HS racing and show 13/38 works just fine.

I can't argue with what you said, Its all very true.

I know the bike hits the rev limiter much harder with stock tires, but I still hit it during races with R2s. More than anything the reason I run it probably has to do with the fact I keep the bike in the middle of the RPM range and I find myself hunting gears with a 13t

ZSK
10-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I switched to a 13 tooth about a month ago. Snapped my axle and sheared three teeth of the stock sprocket so it gave me an excuse. The 13 tooth matches my riding style much better than the 14. So far the only place I've found it lacking was on an MX track while running 18" tires but that is to be expected.

parkers30
10-23-2007, 01:51 PM
to each their own, the 14 works far better for me as an all around gearing

yfzrider73
10-26-2007, 03:14 PM
i have a 13t, 14t and a 15t front sprocket for my yfz and i like the 15t best. I dont race mx or any thing only drag race at different places. I have a 15t on my bike and can run 66 mph in 500feet at a total time of like 7.200

06YFZ450SE
01-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Iam running 15/38 with stock tires.I like it alot Iam thinking of going 18" on back.

low10s
01-11-2008, 11:47 PM
i love the 13 tooth, i was real hesitant before i got it but so hapy now to each his own though, but it allows me to lug it around if i want or keep it in the power easier . i also have the cam mod with an ESR race exhaust with the mx header and it is sweet.

ECAYFZ450
01-12-2008, 03:34 PM
I Ride A 13 Tooth Front Sprocket..And I Race Motocross...But I Kindof Agree With Parkers30..I Am Hunting For That Right Gear For What I Am Doing...But I Am Running A 13/38..