PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Removing Rear Rotor

BigMike
05-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Guys,

Landed on an oddly shaped rock this past weekend and bent my rear brake rotor. Got a replacement and tried to swap it out last night. What is the trick to getting the big nut off of the end of the axle? I took the cotter pin out, took the wheel off and could not budge the nut. Are they reverse threads or something? I even trien heating the nut to help free it up with no luck. I bought a 2' breaker bar at lunch and a better 24mm socket. Before I destroy something, is there anything I am missing. I am assuming that the wheel hub has to come off to get the rotor off. Thanks in advance.

Mike

ZSK
05-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Do you have an impact available? You might be able to get the rotor to slip past the hub.

woodsrider4ever
05-31-2007, 01:17 PM
the nut should come right off and after you get the hub off you should be abelk to take the bolts that hold the brake on and it should slip right off after you take the calipar off

jshtex
05-31-2007, 07:00 PM
Normal thread but they are torqued to 85 ft. Lbs.

BigMike
06-01-2007, 06:36 AM
I am not sure why mine is so tight. It is a 2007 YFZ so it should not be siezed or anything. Anyways, to make a long story short, I cranked on it again last night and ended up bending one of the tangs on the castle nut into one of the cotter pin holes. I pretty much gave up at that point. I put WAY more than 85 ft-lbs of force on it. Probably more like 185 with a 2' bar. It still will not budge. I'm giving it one more try tonight before I just try to straighten the bent rotor and return the new one. The next time it is in the shop, I will ask them to remove the nut.

Mike

woodsrider4ever
06-01-2007, 06:33 PM
can you take any pics of it and post them to help better understand your problem?

BigMike
06-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Success! Well, sort of. I got the nut off last night. The only problem is that the nut broke off instead of twisting off. I'm off to the dealer this morning to get a new nut. I have no idea why it would not turn. A two foot breaker bar and an immense amount of pressure and the nut finally gave way. Never did turn. Broke in two but at least it's off. Took all of 5 minutes to change the rotor once the nut was off.

Mike

jshtex
06-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Congrats, and a nut is way cheaper than an axle.