PDA

View Full Version : big bore starting issues

key
05-31-2007, 08:47 AM
I have a 2004 yfz with a Athena 478 big bore. I am having staring issues. The quad already had a larger battery before the big bore. Well after haveing the big bore installed the shop told me to install a larger battery and it would start fine. Well I did and still hard to crank, but not as hard. I rode it for about 10 min with the larger battery and it just quit. The starter relay was very hot and the plastic casing of the relay was broke. Did the battery do this?
Any help please!!!

ZSK
05-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Do you have the normal charging issues? My 05 needs the headlights on high all the time to prevent a dead battery. I'm also running a larger battery if my memory hasn't failed me it's in the 240cca range. The relay shouldn't be hot unless it's stuck on. This would cause the starter to continue running when the motor is started, but that would make quite a racket.

Have you considered doing a kickstart on it? One of my fellow racers was having starting issues with a high compression motor, installed the kickstart and no more problems.

key
06-01-2007, 05:49 PM
can i install the kickstart myself or do I have to spilt the cases?

ZSK
06-01-2007, 07:06 PM
It's not hard at all a 3B job. Took me about an hour.