PDA

View Full Version : rear lugs are a MUTHA

forgiven
05-30-2007, 09:52 PM
I have actually partially stripped the head off one. I was using the socket and giving it ALL I had and it wouldn't move. I am going to take it to my buddies with an impact to see if that works. The only thing I can think of is grinding the stud out from the back. The lugs look like they have some kind of locker on the outside ring.

What are my options? How do I prevent this from happening again?

Logan #34's Dad
05-30-2007, 10:19 PM
I had the same problem! Those baby's are on there. I got all but one (of course) by using my foot and alot of cussing! I almost stripped the one but got lucky and finally got it. Once they are free they will be easier the next time. If you have not bought rims then check out www.treadepot.com - Cheapest prices I've ever found!

bulldogfallon
05-31-2007, 01:52 AM
Impact gun is the best way to remove lugs or use a socket with the fewest sides

You have to kind of break the seal on them with a quick hit...solid pressure doesn't seem to always work

bulldogfallon
05-31-2007, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
I had the same problem! Those baby's are on there. I got all but one (of course) by using my foot and alot of cussing! I almost stripped the one but got lucky and finally got it. Once they are free they will be easier the next time. If you have not bought rims then check out www.treadepot.com - Cheapest prices I've ever found!

Check out www.motosport.com for better wheel prices on the 10X5 wheels... $36.95 includes 2 day shipping to anywhere in the U.S.

TD prices do not include freight which appears to be an additional charge of about $7.50 per wheel for ground service, so it would be about $5-$6 more with slower shipping service.

It is still a good resource if you are in a jam or need a special size...

forgiven
05-31-2007, 03:07 AM
I was using a 6 sided socket :eek2:

drr5
05-31-2007, 06:48 AM
do your self a favor and purchase a 3/8 cordless impact , you will wonder how youve done it so long with out one , its the most used tool in my arsenal.:D

forgiven
05-31-2007, 07:03 AM
I think that is a great suggestion

mxdad
05-31-2007, 09:33 AM
Quick fix w/o buying an impact wrench. I took a 24" steel pipe and put in on the end of the ratchet to make it longer and they came right off. But I do not recommend tightening them this way!!!

forgiven
05-31-2007, 09:38 AM
I only had a 18" piece and that is what stripped my lug. It is mostly stripped with a portion of the back of the lug about 1/4 is OK.

bulldogfallon
05-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by drr5
do your self a favor and purchase a 3/8 cordless impact , you will wonder how youve done it so long with out one , its the most used tool in my arsenal.:D

GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have one and you would to kill me to take it away from me :)

forgiven
06-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Got the impact gun and the whole flat sides of the nut failed. So essentially I am a completely round nut with nothing to grab on to.

Edited out rant

AAARRRGGGHHHH!

dirttrack86
06-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Snapon has a socket that grips the nut as you turn. The harder you twist, the harder it grips. After that , it is always best to use an impact force instead of a constant pull on a stuck nut or bolt. Those 3/8 impacts are life savers!!:)

forgiven
06-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah...Gary was awesome and talked me off the ledge on the phone ;)

I got a set of irwins for 20 bucks. I am going out in a few minutes to give it a shot. I am hesitating because if it doesn't work I am going to lose it. Then I will have to go find it and pull it back together again...and it may be too late for all THAT.

forgiven
06-01-2007, 07:17 PM
I feel a lot better now.

Nut job (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/blindbartimaeus/P1030274.jpg?t=1180746978)

I have had bad experiences with easy outs but these nut removers worked very well.

Now I am in recovery mode!