PDA

View Full Version : Which pipe 2 get???

10-26-2001, 06:05 PM
Which pipe do you guys recommend??I'd like have something that is not very loud and still get the most bang for my buck...So what do you guys think???:confused:

10-26-2001, 09:58 PM
Curtis Sparks more power then any other pipe.

Warrioreater400ex
10-26-2001, 10:53 PM
yeah curtis sparks is good, but also its expensive, i would try the FMF power core IV 2 Q (quiet), i know the power core IV is good, an this one is suppose to be pretty quiet.

3hondas
10-26-2001, 11:26 PM
swb...

A glass one with an elaborate skull on it works pretty good, or a red US bong will also do ya justice. If discretion is your game, try a "sneak a toke".

nothing personal, but like once or twice a week a thread asking this same question appears.
If this is not by now the deadest horse which has been kicked the most (and hardest) on exriders.com i know not what is.
Try setting your "order from" option (little button box at bottom right of screen when in a particular forum) to a higher number (45 days, 60 days) and you will see that you are among the many who have come forth with this very same question.

since i have ran my mouth so far, i will add my .02 about "pipes" as they are so often referred to.

by "pipe" are you refering to the silencer? header? or both as a complete system?

I have a pro circuit t4 silencer and pro circuit header on my 400. It has the recommended air box and jetting mods supplied by dynojet in the kit i purchased with the exhaust. This system appears to be of high quality even though the pro circuit decal on the silencer only lasted about 2 weeks. performance-wise, the setup is awesome. Price-wise, it is comparable to other systems. noise-wise, it is not quiet. I have had this system for about 2 months. I would (and have) recommend it to a friend.

I had a yoshimura rs3 slip on silencer on my 300ex and after about 1 month, the weld failed at the mounting flange causing an exhaust leak which, aside from losing power, becoming obnoxiously loud and cheap sounding, also melted the rear fender of my bike. The folks at yoshimura were not as accommodating as you would expect (i asked for a refund due to the damage their unit did to my bike) and offered me nothing more than to fix the silencer and send it back to me. I would not recommend yoshimura to a friend, but i would 'dis them, as i feel they did me.
no disrespect intended and good luck in your endeavors.

barbwire44
10-27-2001, 07:38 AM
Well by now most guys no my pipe reccomendations so I will add it yet again. Fmf pwercore IV-2 or the quiet series personally the IV-2 is not a loud pipe compared to the WB, Yosh, T-4,Sparks. It is a lot quieter than those pipes at low rpm but definately is comparible at the top of the rpm range and seems to have a unique sound, the quiet version would probably be the best bang for the buck, if noise is youre concern. And you can pick an FMF pipe up for right around 200 bucks and the welds will not crack and the emblems will not fall off like the other brands. As with the high luster finish, it will not dull and look like the inside of a soup can like the WB and the big gun do after a few months. Choose wisely.:D

kabd69667
10-27-2001, 08:03 AM
Sparks is expensive?? There still cheaper than a complete white brothers or dmc pipe. Plus you get more power w/ the sparks pipe

Tommy 17
10-27-2001, 09:12 AM
well heres the info on the fmf quite pipe i posted this somewhere else to but i can't remember to where to copy it.

ok heres what the december 2001 dirt wheels mag said. they did a test on the fmf power bong header and fmf quite core 4 pipe.
the stock 400ex ran 28.3 hp (88db) just the silp on fmf quite core 4 pipe was 28.8 hp (93db). the fmf quite core 4 pipe and power bong header together was 29.0 hp (93db). the prices are power bong header 310$ and the fmf power core 4 q was 189$. u have to remember this test doesn't have anything else just the pipe.

they say the noise is still a nice loud bark but its just not as loud as other and it almost like stock at idle.

hope this helps ya out on the fmf pipe.

10-27-2001, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by 3hondas
swb...

A glass one with an elaborate skull on it works pretty good, or a red US bong will also do ya justice. If discretion is your game, try a "sneak a toke".

nothing personal, but like once or twice a week a thread asking this same question appears.
If this is not by now the deadest horse which has been kicked the most (and hardest) on exriders.com i know not what is.
Try setting your "order from" option (little button box at bottom right of screen when in a particular forum) to a higher number (45 days, 60 days) and you will see that you are among the many who have come forth with this very same question.

since i have ran my mouth so far, i will add my .02 about "pipes" as they are so often referred to.

by "pipe" are you refering to the silencer? header? or both as a complete system?

I have a pro circuit t4 silencer and pro circuit header on my 400. It has the recommended air box and jetting mods supplied by dynojet in the kit i purchased with the exhaust. This system appears to be of high quality even though the pro circuit decal on the silencer only lasted about 2 weeks. performance-wise, the setup is awesome. Price-wise, it is comparable to other systems. noise-wise, it is not quiet. I have had this system for about 2 months. I would (and have) recommend it to a friend.

I had a yoshimura rs3 slip on silencer on my 300ex and after about 1 month, the weld failed at the mounting flange causing an exhaust leak which, aside from losing power, becoming obnoxiously loud and cheap sounding, also melted the rear fender of my bike. The folks at yoshimura were not as accommodating as you would expect (i asked for a refund due to the damage their unit did to my bike) and offered me nothing more than to fix the silencer and send it back to me. I would not recommend yoshimura to a friend, but i would 'dis them, as i feel they did me.
no disrespect intended and good luck in your endeavors. Hey 3 Hondas,I'm sorry for askin a question...I didn't realize there was so many post about this..If your tired of seein these post just quit clickin on em....Too everyone else I thank you all for your advice!!!!!!

Blackguywithouta400
10-27-2001, 10:20 PM
DMC all the way, not very many people have them here, i just put mine one and it rocks. I am running an open airbox w/K&N, no choke on carb, 160 main, 42 pilot and the bike really rocks i am very pleased with it. The DMC is very loud but it rocks.

3hondas
10-27-2001, 10:33 PM
swb...
apoligies my man, guess i did come off a little bit sarcastically.
I see now that you are new here and i should have realized that before unloading my baggage about redundant posts on you.
It was a long day. i hope my experiences with the t4 and the yoshimura can be of assistance to you when considering exhausts.
The picture i have atached shows the yoshimura signature on my 300ex.

by the way, glad to have ya aboard.

late.

10-27-2001, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by 3hondas
swb...
apoligies my man, guess i did come off a little bit sarcastically.
I see now that you are new here and i should have realized that before unloading my baggage about redundant posts on you.
It was a long day. i hope my experiences with the t4 and the yoshimura can be of assistance to you when considering exhausts.
The picture i have atached shows the yoshimura signature on my 300ex.

by the way, glad to have ya aboard.

late. No hard feelings 3 Hondas,I thank you for your input!!!!!

Smoker
10-28-2001, 12:46 AM
One thing I like about FMF is the use of the metal band to hold the silencer on. It may not look as grand as a billet aluminum mount but it is replaceable and probably rarely breaks anyway. If you've broken your mounting tab you know what I'm talking about. It also good to remeber sound does get riding area's closed.

10-28-2001, 12:46 AM
I have the DMC Alien, a very nice pipe. I have owned the big gun, both FMF models, They all broke. The DMC is by far the best.

GT Thunder did a shootout on a full race 440EX and the DMC put out the most horsepower. Lot's of money but worth it.

99'300EX
10-28-2001, 06:34 PM
I have the FMF Mega Maxi II, it kicks *****, get the header with it, its worth it.

..::Lata::..
-_DaN_-

Lil90man!!
10-28-2001, 06:59 PM
hey i am just wondering, my friend has a 300ex with a supertrapp 4" race series on his bike with 17 disks does anyone know if this is a good pipe(silencer and headpipe) i really like the sound it is almost to loud though but i could lower the disks and quiet it a little, does anyone know is this pipe considered "loud" just to get an idea of your guy's "loud" is this a good pipe for a 300??and also is 300 bucks to much for this pipe?thanx

99'300EX
10-28-2001, 07:04 PM
I personally think they look like crap and i know 2 kids that have them one on a warrior and one on a 400ex. both of them sold them and put on a big gun race and a fmf mega maxi 2

.-::PeAcE::-.

Lil90man!!
10-28-2001, 07:30 PM
well personaly i think they look cool (and anything looks better than a stock 300 pipe) but y did they sell them???? not like the sound not like the performance or what?

400exJOE
10-28-2001, 07:39 PM
I just got a supertrapp IDS2 and its the best sounding pipe on the market. It gives great gains and is only $179 in Rocky Mtn ATV. They dont make a header for the 400ex, but if thats the bike you have and its mostly stock, DON'T waste your money and buy a header from any company. The stock ones are plenty powerful. Supertrapp rules:devil

Dave400ex
10-28-2001, 08:00 PM
Get a Sparks X-4 or X-6 pipe. The best made.

Holty
10-28-2001, 09:55 PM
I'm also new to this forum and asked the same question a couple days ago about what pipe to buy for my new 400ex. I only got a few replys and they mostly said go with the White Brothers E-series...........where did all those guys go? This post no one said to go with the E-series??? and where were all of you to help me out when I asked the same question?? I'm not mad, just curious? I just like to do all the research I can before I shell out big bucks for something. And to help the person out who posted this question: I have a FMF Mega Max II Pipe on my 1992 Yamaha Warrior. It gives good low end torque, nice mid range, and crappy top end. It is also very loud, but sounds good, not generic like my buddies Cobra exhaust. Hope this helps.

RAPTORAZ
10-29-2001, 06:04 AM
White Brothers E-Series here. Not loud. Just low and rumbly. Very pleased with it's performance.

10-29-2001, 10:44 AM
So has everyone that keeps postin a sparks pipe not see that this person wants a queit pipe,,,not a full on race pipe??? I have to say go with the FMF powercore IV/Q for power gains plus a QUIETER pipe,,which you asked for,,,all other pipes are loud that have been listed,,,I use FMF and like it very much..

nigsrig
10-29-2001, 11:22 AM
get a yoshimura,just got one,had a white brothers e-series,like the yoshimura better,more power..:devil

10-29-2001, 04:56 PM
I'll back up 400exjoe on this one. I also have a supertrappIDS2. with a 155mj and 6 1" holes in my airbox lid, It is faster, mostly snapier(good for wheelies), and has a wonderfull, deep, throaty sound. I have 10 disks in it now and love the pipe. in the woods, it ecoes, and sounds mean. Not because I own a supertrapp pipe, but I think this is one of the best 4-strokes I've ever heard (besides yz426) Yes there are louder, and raspier, but I have heard none as smooth and throaty as the supertrapp.(and I know the 426 isn't smooth and throaty, but it just plain sounds cool) I also got it much cheaper than an FMF or WB or Big Gun. It is also very compact and light(4lbs compared to the stocker which is 8lbs) and looks like a sport bike exhaust( the way it tilts up on an angle) I recomend one. I don't know why you don't hear much about these pipes.

stocktires
10-29-2001, 05:17 PM
im with Rico, I have a powercore IV/Q on my 300ex, i LOVE it!!! Neighbors dont mind it cuz its pretty quiet yet still gives that AWESOME thumpre roar, its got awesome bottom, great mid, and good top end! It looks AWESOME! i give it a 10! I strongly reccomend this exhaust! I paid about $240, definatly worth the money! very light also!

10-29-2001, 06:34 PM
i have a fmf megamaxII on my 400 and its a peice of trash.just two weekends ago it broke off at the weld where the pipe comes out of the silencer and it also broke the little tube with all of the holes that holds all the packing inside.i had all of the mounts tight and i didnt hit it on any thing so i have no idea why it broke.so i wouldnt get a megamax.its an expensive part to replace every year.

10-29-2001, 07:02 PM
I've got a big gun complete with quiet core and SA. It is much quieter than any that are on this post so far,however the price of silence is top end power! my top end is pretty much the same as with a stock pipe. But the bottom and midrange are much improved and the sound is deep and throaty. I do recall that dirt wheels did a pipe test this spring and decided that the wb E-series was the best choice for usable power but was middle of the pack for noise. My experience with a supertrapp ids2 wasn't very good--- I got it for my daughters' Lakota Sport and it came with a head pipe,the muffler didn't fit well and I spent all summer trying to tune it without running all the discs in it. It made good power but sounded annoying in any state of tune!!! I since took it off and am much more pleased with the stock pipe back on. If only I could find someone to give it to, they could have it for almost the cost of shipping, THAT'S how much I think of that particular exhaust. :blah