PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the Quads in the Trailer?

ShiftFMX
05-30-2007, 02:04 PM
DO you guys think its safe to leave your quads in an open trailer at night? I am going to the dunes here in a few weeks and may be staying in a Hotel, but most likely camping. If I have to leave it in the parking Lot, would it be safe to Pad lock the gate shut, chain the quads together and lock the trailer to the Truck?? The sides are high enough for it to be a pain to lift it out...

There will be 3 quads in there.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ShiftFMX/DSC01847.jpg

250r4life
05-30-2007, 02:08 PM
its always a risk...

i've known people that have had them jacked, and others who havent... depends on the hotel, and what theives see them...

you never can tell...

nosliw
05-30-2007, 02:08 PM
i wouldn't worry about it. even better back the trailer into a corner so they'd HAVE to lift them over the sides.

secure the trailer to the truck really good.

oh, and pray they don't steal the truck!

m.h.s.c.#527
05-30-2007, 02:54 PM
back up to a building

300exQuadracer
05-30-2007, 03:16 PM
we have never had a problem at silver lake even leave the quads outside by the cabin at night, but before we had the cabin we left the trailer at the motels and they where safe, just padlock the trailer toung and head up to the Open Hearth / BP gas station for some good eats i highly recomend it

TWISTED
05-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
DO you guys think its safe to leave your quads in an open trailer at night? I am going to the dunes here in a few weeks and may be staying in a Hotel, but most likely camping. If I have to leave it in the parking Lot, would it be safe to Pad lock the gate shut, chain the quads together and lock the trailer to the Truck?? The sides are high enough for it to be a pain to lift it out...

There will be 3 quads in there.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ShiftFMX/DSC01847.jpg

One word.......... INSURANCE!!!!

JW450R1
05-30-2007, 03:48 PM
How about guard it with a shot gun:devil:

NacsMXer
05-30-2007, 03:54 PM
It is a risk, you can never take too many precautions. Would be smart to have some disc locks F/R as well, that way even if they manage to lift them out good luck trying to roll them :devil: Also maybe buy some of those personal alarms from walmart or something like that. I'm talking those little black boxes that when you pull the cord out, emit the loudest most annoying high pitch siren you ever heard in your life :p Strap a couple of those babies to the trailer, then tie the pull cord to a part of the quad out of sight. If they go off, theives will scurry off long before they figure out how to get them to stop! :scary:

killerofcrows48
05-30-2007, 04:22 PM
you could always throw a tarp over them so nobody knows what you have in the trailer

tar
05-30-2007, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it I don't know where your located but every time I have been to Little Sahara we have left the quads out and nobody ever messes with them.

SGA
05-31-2007, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by killerofcrows48
you could always throw a tarp over them so nobody knows what you have in the trailer
This is one of the BEST things to do when staying at a hotel. People just see a trailer with a tarp and prob wont pay attention, but when things are left open to be seen, well it invites trouble.
Back the trailer up to a tree or lamp post so the back cannot be let down. Also buy a hitch pin lock and also the kind of lock on the trailer latch that cannot be cut with bolt cutters. They are not that expensive. Also run a chain through the quad frames with a lock.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/trailer/images/hitchpinpacked.jpg

SGA
05-31-2007, 12:28 AM

firefighterjosh
05-31-2007, 01:03 AM
I locked my trailer to my truck. Parked it under a light, also chained my quads to eachother and to the trailer. So a theive just walking down the road could not steal it, only somone prepared.

The hotels at silver lake have cameras. Trust me I know. My friend had to go to silver lake 5 times for court:p

csimp3
05-31-2007, 01:40 AM
if i was you i would get a locking hitch pin, and some disck brake locks, chain the bikes up, then back into a corner stall if possible, it may seem a bit much, but at least you will have peace of mind,

but now onto more important things, IS THAT WHOLE BUILDING YOUR GARAGE?!?!?!?!?!?

crazedape
05-31-2007, 02:44 AM
Most theives are lazy but always remember, when there is a will there is a way.

CHEVYZ
05-31-2007, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
its always a risk...

i've known people that have had them jacked, and others who havent... depends on the hotel, and what theives see them...

you never can tell... I'm with you on that one...I can't really say either way because I have seen instances of them being stolen AND not stolen under those conditions. Personally, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing my bikes are out there at a generally high risk of being stolen.

On that note, you should have gotten a dirtbike (LOL, don't worry, kidding). My buddies drove theirs right into their room LMAO.

Aceman
05-31-2007, 07:37 AM
Something no one has mentioned is the ball. You can put locks all over the quads, hitch pins, etc but if all they have to do is unscrew the nut on the ball, lift the trailer off and set the ball on their hitch, you might as well consider your whole trailer gone. Weld the nut on or find one that has a nut that can't be removed.

chris46250r
05-31-2007, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
Something no one has mentioned is the ball. You can put locks all over the quads, hitch pins, etc but if all they have to do is unscrew the nut on the ball, lift the trailer off and set the ball on their hitch, you might as well consider your whole trailer gone. Weld the nut on or find one that has a nut that can't be removed.

Exactly. They have made that real easy now for thieves with the recievers that hold the ball for you so you only need one wrench.

parkers30
05-31-2007, 08:59 AM
I also love people who put the coupler latch lock on a trailer and think it is safe sitting in a parking lot without the truck. With a pintle hitch I can hook onto a locked trailer, I have used the trick many times to move trailers around

450ERRRRRR!
05-31-2007, 09:09 AM
I also have to say "Insurance". I did read on another site where a guy backed his truck and trailer under a light at a motel and he heard some noise and when he opened the door he saw his truck and trailer leaving the parking lot! Last I heard it was never recovered. Insurance is so cheap on these things. I just got to use mine when my daughter let a friend ride my kodiak when I wasent home. She crashed, totaled the quad, air lifted to hospital, plastic surgey, and the insurance gave her mon a check for $20,000 to end it. And I got a new 700 Grizzly. So I'm a beliver in insurance. That the best $160 a year I've ever spent!

ShiftFMX
05-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. My Quad is insured, So is the Truck and Trailer. I like the Idea of the little alarm. I never thought about unscrewing the ball right off the hitch....eck.

SGA: I have a hitch lock almost Identical to that :p

My truck has an alarm on it as well. Its pretty neat, when the trailer is hooked up, the shock sensor travels to the trailer too, one time I didnt know my alarm was armed, and I loaded my quad up in there and the alarm went off!

And csimp3, Yes, that is our Garage :p

400EXTRA
05-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by JW450R1
How about guard it with a shot gun:devil:

LOL!

ATW55
06-03-2007, 09:24 PM
we have been going since elate 80's and never haad a bike stolen and we leave the keys in our blazer to

atvRiDa400ex
06-03-2007, 09:29 PM
sleep in your truck, save money and watch the quads!! :p

250r4life
06-04-2007, 12:43 AM
i hate having my bikes loaded up and sitting out overnight... i absolutely hate it cuz i dont get any sleep while theyre like that... sometimes we'll leave for the dunes at like 6 am, so we'll load the night before... i would rather take off at 10 pm and get into the dunes at 2 am and be able to sleep, then sit there and not be able to sleep from 10-6...

i've even parked the flat bed right in front of my travel trailer and slept in the travel trailer on the front bed with the window open, 10 ft from the quads, and i still couldnt sleep...

to each his own... it was even worse before they came out with the 450s, cuz nothing compared to my 250r and i couldnt get another one like i had...

250r4life
06-04-2007, 12:43 AM
i hate having my bikes loaded up and sitting out overnight... i absolutely hate it cuz i dont get any sleep while theyre like that... sometimes we'll leave for the dunes at like 6 am, so we'll load the night before... i would rather take off at 10 pm and get into the dunes at 2 am and be able to sleep, then sit there and not be able to sleep from 10-6...

i've even parked the flat bed right in front of my travel trailer and slept in the travel trailer on the front bed with the window open, 10 ft from the quads, and i still couldnt sleep...

to each his own... it was even worse before they came out with the 450s, cuz nothing compared to my 250r and i couldnt get another one like i had...

250r4life
06-04-2007, 12:44 AM