PDA

View Full Version : axel/carrier need help

81 clark racing
05-30-2007, 06:59 AM
first question i have is. does any company make a aftermarket chrome std length axel for a 400ex? also how do you no when you carrier is junk or on its way out? reason i ask about the carrier is in my rear end its making a bad sound when i put around in first gear in my driveway. sounds like the chains hitting the skid plate. but my skid plates off so i no its not that. also the noise is worse when i have someone riding on the back. chain is tignt and lubed. also all the bearings seem to be tight only thing i can think of is the carrier? thanxs

DANVAN
05-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Same thing happened to mine, I thought it was the skid plate, I kept bending it down away from the chain and the noise kept getting worse, mostly on turns. I ended up wiping out the axle and carrier.

81 clark racing
05-30-2007, 06:00 PM
wait so how did you fix the problem

JW450R1
05-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Go with new bearings ,or if it is a stock carrier u may want to upgrade to a after market carrier with dual row bearings

81 clark racing
05-30-2007, 08:01 PM
yea its stock. but everythying is tight in the rear end. could it still be the carrier and bearings?

JOEX
05-30-2007, 08:51 PM
The carrier is just a hunk of aluminum that's been machined to fit in the swing arm and hold the bearings. It doesn't really just 'go out' but if the bearings wear out the axle will eventually ride on the carrier itself causing the carrier to be worn and damaged.

If you put the rearend on a stand and try to move the axle up and down or in and out and it doesn't move you're probably fine.

I'm guessing the noise is just the chain slapping...

I could be wrong though:p

DANVAN
05-31-2007, 04:34 AM
I didnt fix it yet, while I was riding the noise got so bad and the rear of the quad started to wiggle around at high speeds so I finnaly figured out where my problem was.

I took it to the dealer, I was given a $1100.00 estimate to replace the carrier, axle, bearings, seals, and hardware, so now its in the garage waiting for me to find the parts and fix it myself.

I wont be riding for the next few weeks at least.

81 clark racing
05-31-2007, 04:38 AM
holey fuc* 1100 what the hell!!!!! where did you bring it to get looked at

DANVAN
05-31-2007, 04:39 PM
A local cycle shop, I almost fell over and the girl told me the price. So I took the info she gave me and called another shop telling them what I needed, and it was a very simular price.

I looked around on ebay and see that I can get the parts for a whole lot less. Ill just have to learn how to do the work. Im told its not to hard.

81 clark racing
05-31-2007, 07:23 PM
you didnt bring it to best cycle in nashua did you? there the biggest rip off ever. id reccomened you bring it to naults honda in manchester. there located on 420 second street. thats who does all my work on my quad. and they do an awesome job never had any problems at all. also what do you need for parts? i can prob get them for you i get a preatty sweet discount at naults soo. also is your rear end on your quad all lose? cuz mines tight as can be but makes a horrible sound only sumtime dosent make it all the time.

isotope
05-31-2007, 07:36 PM
my 300ex was making similar sounds to what you described and it was a bearing that was completely shattered. When I put the quad on a jack i was able to move the rear axle about a quarter inch . The play was so bad the sprocket would bind when I accelerated or slowed down because the torque on the axle and the play. My right bearing was destroyed and my carrier was pretty bad also but my axle was fine. I found a new with 1 yr warrenty carrier with bearings in it already and grease zerk from Lone Star racing on ebay for $145 after shipping and it should solve the problem.

http://netwerksite.web133.discountasp.net/atv/1.jpg http://netwerksite.web133.discountasp.net/atv/3.jpg
http://netwerksite.web133.discountasp.net/atv/5.jpg

81 clark racing
05-31-2007, 07:39 PM
o niice mess you got there! that sucks ya see i put mine on a jack and my rear end is tight nothing moves so im not to sure i just dont want to be out riding (far away from a road etc) and have it blow out or something bad like that happen and then be ****e*

JOEX
05-31-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by DANVAN
I didnt fix it yet, while I was riding the noise got so bad and the rear of the quad started to wiggle around at high speeds so I finnaly figured out where my problem was.

I took it to the dealer, I was given a $1100.00 estimate to replace the carrier, axle, bearings, seals, and hardware, so now its in the garage waiting for me to find the parts and fix it myself.

I wont be riding for the next few weeks at least.
It's a fairly simple job. I'm not familiar with the 300ex set up but the most difficult part will probably be removing the lock nut. Not difficult but can take some muscle.

Aftermarket parts (est.)...
Axle $200-$400+ depending on the brand
Carrier with bearings & seals $150
Pinch bolt lock nut $45 not required but work well

DANVAN
06-01-2007, 04:38 AM
Clark, I took it to freedom cycle in Concord, near where I work, I was told they were cheap. After that I called Naults, same price.

I was told I need the axle, carrier/bearings, hardwear, seals.

I looked on ebay and found carriers with greese fitings in them, I dont see how u can access the greese fitting once its in the swing arm, doesnt the swing arm pretty much cover the whole carrier?

Im going to take it apart when I have time and see for myself exactly what I need.

I was originally in a rush and wanted it fixed by this weekend for a ride, but not for that price, I'll miss the ride and save $600.00.

Someone at work lent me a service manual for a 400ex, doesnt look to hard to do, just need to get the right size wrenches for those lock nuts. Thanks Joex.

JOEX
06-02-2007, 07:59 PM
I used a couple of large pipe wrenches (18" & 24"). They hash up the nuts a bit but I was replacing them anyway with a pinch bolt lock nut so I wasn't concerned.

Once the carrier is filled with grease initially it dosen't need 'regular' greasing.

81 clark racing
06-03-2007, 05:33 AM
actually it wasnt my bearing or carrier it was junk chain and sprockets plus it was way over tightened.

DEVINF450R
06-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Actually the hardest part on my 450r was getting the 2 clips off, the first time I did it. I have went through 3 different axles and 2 carriers. I can switch all that crap out in like 15 minutes nowadays LOL...my first bearing carrier I destroyed had BIG chunks of aluminum all broke off the edges... the second one got messed when I broke my second axle :macho

DANVAN
07-23-2007, 06:41 PM
I finnally got around to taking it all apart. The lock nut was the worst part, ended up cutting it off, we couldnt budge it a bit.

Now Im looking for info on making a 400ex axle fit in place of my 300ex axle. A guy I work with has 2 axles in his garage from his son's 400s and he said he will give it to me if my axle is no good.

Ive seen the carrier and axle on ebay, but what about hardware? I need the locking nuts, and the piece that the sprocket and the rotor mounts to, I never see these things in any web site or magizine. Any ideas where I can get these things?

Thanks

JOEX
07-23-2007, 08:57 PM
I finnally got around to taking it all apart. The lock nut was the worst part, ended up cutting it off, we couldnt budge it a bit.

Now Im looking for info on making a 400ex axle fit in place of my 300ex axle. A guy I work with has 2 axles in his garage from his son's 400s and he said he will give it to me if my axle is no good.

Ive seen the carrier and axle on ebay, but what about hardware? I need the locking nuts, and the piece that the sprocket and the rotor mounts to, I never see these things in any web site or magizine. Any ideas where I can get these things?

Thanks
Get a pinch bolt style lock nut from C&D Racing, I think they are about $40 or so. You may need to use the stock threaded sleeve.

DANVAN
07-24-2007, 04:39 AM
Thanks, but what is the treaded sleeve?

DANVAN
07-24-2007, 07:01 PM
He brought the 400 axle to work today to match up, and it ends up that the bearing area on the 400 is wider then on the 300.

Any opinions on where to puchase these items?

Im thinking a billet carrier from eastcoast atv. I think Ill stick with a stock axle, and all the related parts/hardware. I also need the rotor hub and sprocket hub.

JOEX
07-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks, but what is the treaded sleeve?
It's the threaded cylinder the two lock nuts are screwed on to.

TravEX
07-25-2007, 10:08 PM
I don't mean to hijack, but I searched and found this.

Are the stock axle nuts on the 400 left handed or right handed?

Thanks,

Travis

JOEX
07-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by TravEX
I don't mean to hijack, but I searched and found this.

Are the stock axle nuts on the 400 left handed or right handed?

Thanks,

Travis
The lock nuts have left hand threads.