PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stem Problem

WORCSYFZ199
05-29-2007, 11:22 PM
I got an 07 LTR and an extended Roll Design stem for it, it steered perfectly when it was stock, but when I switched to the Roll stem, it's really hard to turn left and right, also it seems to kind of dart from side to side, any ideas on what the problem may be? (my brother has an 06 LTR and we replaced his stem with the exact same brand and extended and it turns a lot smoother and doesn't dart like mine)

jayman
05-30-2007, 06:09 AM
Did you over torque the bolt?

MOTORIDER68
05-30-2007, 09:35 AM
also is your front end aligned properly? Let us know what you find out.

WORCSYFZ199
05-30-2007, 09:41 AM
would over tourqing the bottom nut cause it to be tough to steer? Also I would think the front end should be aligned because all I did was pull out the stock steering stem and put the new one in, and it worked perfectly when it was stock (it's a new bike been ridden to break it in, in stock form. Then put the new stem in)

LTandRaptorider
05-30-2007, 07:40 PM
The part of the stem where the tie rods attach probably are not the same distance apart ( mounting holes) as the stock stem. Aftermarket stems the holes are sometimes further apart to give a tighter turning radius. You will have to adjust the toe-in if this is the case.

05-30-2007, 08:27 PM
is it a chrome stem?? if so you more than likely need to grind the chrome finish down where it mounts to the steering stem bushing, its probably is too thick in that area.

WORCSYFZ199
05-30-2007, 09:56 PM
well my Unlce and I worked on it today and we found out the nut on bottom was too tight so we backed it off to about 70ft lbs (yamaha recommended 90, and I don't have a suzuki manual) anyways we Blue lock-tited it and it seems to turn a lot easier, we also measured the toe-in and it's about 1/8 of an inch toed-in which should be fine so hopefully the quad will ride right tomorrow, I also put my new motion pro twister on there so we'll see how that works :-p and I also mounted my lights up in the Bar-Pad which looks pretty sweet, I'll have to get a pic for you all, but thanks to everyone who replied :-)