PDA

View Full Version : anyone with and 06/07 450r had engine failure of any kind?

N300exJ
05-29-2007, 09:00 PM
Im just wondering if anyone has had a motor let go at all. And what were the mods, what went wrong? Im tired of fixing my 05 450Rs engine all the time. If its not that difficult to do id lke to swap in an 06/07 engine into my 05 R. Im looking for something with alot more reliability than i have now. itll be a kicker and not elec start so im hoping i can use my 05 electrical and what ever else i can get away with using. If anyone can give me some info on the subject that would be great thanks!

CHEVYZ
05-30-2007, 05:39 AM
Have both an 06 and 07 engine, and neither have given me ANY problems at all. I run the piss out of my 06 every time I am on it, and it just keeps on ticking. I think that it is a much better design for the average guy.

450rRacer22
05-30-2007, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
Have both an 06 and 07 engine, and neither have given me ANY problems at all. I run the piss out of my 06 every time I am on it, and it just keeps on ticking. I think that it is a much better design for the average guy.
if its ticking i'd say theres a problem. haha jk man. thats weird that your having a problem with your 05 they seem to be very reliable, maybe even more reliable than the 06/07's. i had an 04 and had it for 2 years and never rebuilt it. only thing that ever happened to it was i fried the valves on it but that was it. i now have an 06 and havent had any problems yet. the only thing im worried about on my 06 is the tranny goin out, the 06's seem to have a pretty loud tranny and i've heard of them going out but who knows. if i were you i'd keep your 05 engine and do a different rebuild or something. what do you have to keep fixing on it?

hendershot106
05-30-2007, 07:12 AM
that may not be the best choice bud-----

ive had a awful lot of trouble with my 06 as compared to my 04 and plus thats about 3500 u could spend on ur 05 motor to make it reliable and fast----- i ve ripped the tranny out of mine three times this season,,,, and weekend before last i blew a crank while leading at my home track in A class-- i recommend building an 05 motor before buying a stock 06 motor. (trust me i have over 2000 since janurary in mine-- soon to be over 3K-

Chino886
05-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Stay with the Generation 1 motor and update the crank bearing!

My 06 crank seized busting up both center cases and trashing my piston and cylinder!

400exrider707
05-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Chino886
Stay with the Generation 1 motor and update the crank bearing!

My 06 crank seized busting up both center cases and trashing my piston and cylinder!

They all blow up, any brand, and generation, the 450s are race motors that require a LOT of extra rebuilding.

Chino886
05-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
They all blow up, any brand, and generation, the 450s are race motors that require a LOT of extra rebuilding.

Yes, while I do agree that the 450s are built to race, having a crank seize up and destroy the motor is not my idea of "rebuilding". I can understand that the piston will need to be replaced more often as they have higher compression, less rings, shorter skirts, etc. I will agree, that owning a 450R is going to justify extra maintenance.

With that being said, my reason for choosing the Generation 1 motor is the fact that the bearing upgrade has been released. There still to my knowledge is NO upgrade for the 06 cranks! The 06 trannies also seem to have issues! Most 04-05 cranks that have seized, most have not busted up the cases, as opposed to 06s taking out 1 or both of the center cases!

That is my 2 pesos on this subject! I am sure others will disagree, but that is my opinion, take it or leave it!

watts16
05-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Yes, while I do agree that the 450s are built to race, having a crank seize up and destroy the motor is not my idea of "rebuilding". I can understand that the piston will need to be replaced more often as they have higher compression, less rings, shorter skirts, etc. I will agree, that owning a 450R is going to justify extra maintenance.

With that being said, my reason for choosing the Generation 1 motor is the fact that the bearing upgrade has been released. There still to my knowledge is NO upgrade for the 06 cranks! The 06 trannies also seem to have issues! Most 04-05 cranks that have seized, most have not busted up the cases, as opposed to 06s taking out 1 or both of the center cases!

That is my 2 pesos on this subject! I am sure others will disagree, but that is my opinion, take it or leave it!
When my 05 crank siezed it trashed both halves. I was in 4th gear pinned when it went though.

Chino886
05-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by watts16
When my 05 crank siezed it trashed both halves. I was in 4th gear pinned when it went though.

Okay I stand corrected on the case halves!

But I would feel more secure putting in a "upgraded" bearing (05)then just to replace the same thing (06).

Just my unedjumacated opinyon once again! :p

atvrulz
05-30-2007, 09:08 AM
byrd and Natalie are currently using 2005 TRX450R's, and so was wienen before he went to suzuki.

hendershot106
05-30-2007, 02:23 PM
TO VERIFY TROUBLE WITH THE 06 MOTORS/TRANSMISSIONS

IN THE LAST SIX MONTHS-----

replaced shift forks and drums during winter rebuild, crank bearings and seals,, piston, valve job, cam,, clutch basket,, starter clutch, idler gears for e start and idler bracket,, clutches,, ripped apart practicing in march,,,,, replaced all shift forks and drumms again,,,,,, rode less than ten hours,,,,, trashed entire transmission---- replaced AALLLL GEARS,, FORKS<, drums==(not cheap either) now it shifts silky smooth----- raced one local race,, red bud,,,, and during next local race on lap 5 im pretty sure my crank seized and my win came to a screeching halt.,,,------ my old 04 i ran many motos and many motos with no problem from it,, its tranny or its crank---- so if i woulda just kept it ida been going to the races with a toy hauler instead of riding with my friends. any other questions???????

ps.. at least the swingarms hold up on the 06 r's
and the e start is junk---- i forgot to mention it quit workin again so i just put a kicker kit on it too.

N300exJ
05-30-2007, 03:35 PM
i spent 1100 on the last rebuild. I keep throwing lower rod bearing like its going out of style. My 05 is a late year 05 and it was all updated already from the factory. its still a piece of crap. I dunno what else to do but find another 450 to race. Id rather have efi electrical problems than have to do a bottom rebuild every 6 months. Its gettin to be too much i cant afford it anymore.

400exrider707
05-30-2007, 03:52 PM

Dave its not really the crank that is the problem, its either crank bearings or what I think is more common is the rod bearing, once that goes its already too late and it trashes the crank and rod assembly usually and mine did scratch up the inside of the cases, but not bad enough to crack or harm anything, so I smoothed the markings out and put her back together. You can bet next winter she will be getting new rod bearings and crank bearings. BTW it wasn't really an upgraded crank bearing, they really only upgraded the seal and added the little metal sleeve to stabilize the crank bearing. I see no reason why someone couldn't use that or make one of their own for the 06 motor. I think MR. Chad would be the man to talk to about doing this. The tranny problems in the 06 motors are not something to be happy about either though, so for now I will stick with my gen1 motor. Though those new LTR's look nicer every day, I am a Honda guy though so I guess I'll suffer.

blacknblue#2
05-31-2007, 10:49 AM
I had an 05 with some minor mods (piston cam, jet, all the basic stuff) and also the updated crank and i couldnt keep that thing together, it was ride one weekend and turn wrenches the next. I now have an 07 and have ran the guts outa that thing every weekend for bout 6 or 7 months now and its never even coughed on me. and trust me it never comes off wide open.

hendershot106
05-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by N300exJ
i spent 1100 on the last rebuild. I keep throwing lower rod bearing like its going out of style. My 05 is a late year 05 and it was all updated already from the factory. its still a piece of crap. I dunno what else to do but find another 450 to race. Id rather have efi electrical problems than have to do a bottom rebuild every 6 months. Its gettin to be too much i cant afford it anymore.

I COULDNT AGREEE MORE ABOUT THE TOO MUCH TOO AFFORD IT-- ITS GETTIN BEYOND RIDICULOUS--- I ll be racing a suzuki this weekend.

Sjorge450R
05-31-2007, 07:02 PM
i have a very late model 05 and have yet to have a problem. Its currently pulled out of commision do to a pre-summer rebuild. Im putting in a 03 CRF cam and a Rossier pipe. So on a 100% stock bike racing A class i didnt have one problem. I have about 30-40 hours on it and its all hard running. The valves are BARELY out of spec. Acually, they are in the +- .001, so technically they are in spec :o

400exrider707
05-31-2007, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
I had an 05 with some minor mods (piston cam, jet, all the basic stuff) and also the updated crank and i couldnt keep that thing together, it was ride one weekend and turn wrenches the next. I now have an 07 and have ran the guts outa that thing every weekend for bout 6 or 7 months now and its never even coughed on me. and trust me it never comes off wide open.

Well what was falling apart?

A motor is only as reliable as its built.

400exrider707
05-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
i have a very late model 05 and have yet to have a problem. Its currently pulled out of commision do to a pre-summer rebuild. Im putting in a 03 CRF cam and a Rossier pipe. So on a 100% stock bike racing A class i didnt have one problem. I have about 30-40 hours on it and its all hard running. The valves are BARELY out of spec. Acually, they are in the +- .001, so technically they are in spec :o

Give it time, I've yet to see one 04/05 motor that hasn't had a rod bearing go in time. Out of me and my buds we have 5 04/05 450Rs, the only one that hasn't happened to yet, is the one that has been sitting in the field since the month after he got it and hasn't been started since then, that one is a ticking time bomb if he ever decides to ride it.

quadgod440ex
06-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Ive have the first 05 that my local honda dealer had recieved and im gonna say ive had it for almost or about 3 years , Racing it since the weekend i got it. Only thing i wasnt to happy about is that i think it should of had alittle more power. I race pro am class so im far from easy on my motor. Never rebuilt the stock motor in anyway. Actually still have the stock cylinder and piston incase i sell it and someone wants it. So for the lack of power i installed the 480 athena kit and stage 3 cam. Stock valves and springs also. Little porting to the head. Yet to have anything fail on me except the water pump bearing. Knock on wood because im leaving for a race in about 3 hours. I love my 05 motor just wish it had the power of the 06-07 off the floor. Stick with the gen 1 motor. Send it to Rage or something once you save up the money . They build some sick and reliable motors for a very good price.Good luck