PDA

View Full Version : How much do the Pro racers make (MX,XC)

07250ex
05-29-2007, 08:35 PM
im just wondering how rich guys like bill ballence, chad reed, ricky carmicheal, tim farr, doug gust,travis spader? how much are these guys worth what prize money is ussusly made for first place in a race?

250xridamatt
05-29-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't think I would compare the salaries of Ricky Charmichael and Travis Spader. It seems like it is much easier for a bike rider to make a living off racing than a quad racer. I would say a great majority of pro atv racers also work a job on the side. They can't race for their only income. Guys like Ricky make most of their money from their sponsors.

07250ex
05-29-2007, 08:53 PM
lmao yeah i know what you mean but how much does ricky have you think?

pats2007450er
05-29-2007, 08:59 PM
on mtv cribs ricky showed like 6 different checks and none of them were lower than 1,000,000.00 they were championship checks i think.lets just say(he is worth millions$$$$$$-shlt loads)

07250ex
05-29-2007, 09:04 PM
dang i can forget quad racing onto dirtbike motocross =]

JRP
05-30-2007, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by 07250ex
dang i can forget quad racing onto dirtbike motocross =]

the money shouldnt matter, its all about what you love doing. And i love racing atv motocross:)

JJs450r
05-30-2007, 05:06 AM
you dont really have to work a side job if you have alright sponsors with atvs i dont think byrd works a side job, i know he has his school and im sure that helps

smr
05-30-2007, 06:42 AM
here we go again..

Most pro atv racers have side jobs. Not sure about Byrd but the Ballances own a store and do some farming. I think Yokley is still in the timber business. Gust owned a land scape business but I think he was able to sell it.

Quad racers make no where near what the bike guys get.

Premis
05-30-2007, 01:30 PM
You get $4,000 to win a WPSA pro race. I can't comment on the salaries of guys on major teams, but it is there jobs and they do make comfortable livings.

Premis
05-30-2007, 01:30 PM
You get $4,000 to win a WPSA pro race. I can't comment on the salaries of guys on major teams, but it is there jobs and they do make comfortable livings.

Ralph
05-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Alot of pros are already pretty well off.

trx450jason
05-30-2007, 02:59 PM
That is true. Lets face it this is not a cheap sport and money definately helps.

BlaineKaiser450
05-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by JRP
the money shouldnt matter, its all about what you love doing. And i love racing atv motocross:) agreed completly!

trx400EXtreme
05-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by JRP
the money shouldnt matter, its all about what you love doing. And i love racing atv motocross:)

yep, thats pretty much right.

MO-EX-RIDER
05-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
Alot of pros are already pretty well off.

im poor so my career highlight is a 1st place in a local series:devil:

but ballance gets a check from yamaha evertime he wins for a couple g's plus the other contingencys'
and hondas' giving out $25k to any honda rider that captures the championship.......GO BORICH:D

pats2007450er
05-30-2007, 11:37 PM
ballance's family is wealthy aready from there dairy farm,yokley is opening a store and you can buy online or in tompkinsville ky but i have no idea about gust.jenks said he works 50 to 60 hours a week to race but he said you have to afford to to race.

TWILES
05-31-2007, 12:03 PM
I don't think I'm wrong is saying that a guy who can afford to go at racing to the point he gets "real" money paying sponsors is probably loaded in the first place and doesn't even need the money.

chris46250r
05-31-2007, 12:06 PM
True.

lancer2114
05-31-2007, 12:51 PM
i know that ricky carmicheal makes around 8 million a year and valentino rossi makes 20 million a year. this was in the new mxa.

trxwannbe
05-31-2007, 01:11 PM
i don't know much about the numbers but i'm 98% sure that the factory teams are paying their riders a normal salary on top of bonuses for finishing high enough up and doug gust owned i believe a sand and gravel company not a landscaping company hence his nickname of digger

FHKracingZ
05-31-2007, 01:46 PM
unlike dirtbikes, quad pro's are already very wealthy. to get to the top most your pro's already have been in the national circuit for 3-4 years. coming up through the B,A,Pro-am classes a full circuit. There is no such thing as a non wealthy pro quad rider, even the rookies. They all have money from the familys to back them. RC's family went broke 3 times trying to keep ricky racing before he got a factory deal. thats the different between bikes and quad

smr
05-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
unlike dirtbikes, quad pro's are already very wealthy. to get to the top most your pro's already have been in the national circuit for 3-4 years. coming up through the B,A,Pro-am classes a full circuit. There is no such thing as a non wealthy pro quad rider, even the rookies. They all have money from the familys to back them. RC's family went broke 3 times trying to keep ricky racing before he got a factory deal. thats the different between bikes and quad

for the most part you are correct. Thats why you don't see Brad Paige at the races anymore.

Pro Quad riders make about as much as a normal blue collar mom and dad working in a good factory job.

Pro Bike riders make in the Millions..

TWILES
05-31-2007, 03:26 PM
I got my Banshee totally together in 2002. I went to Loretta Lynn's in 2003 and signed up in Open-A. I got to the gate and looked both ways. I saw 1 250R and me on 2-strokes. EVERYONE else was on $20,000+ hybrids on a full gate of 20. I realized that day that there was no sence in me trying to stay racing. I've even read in magazines in the "How To Get Sponsors" article that the companies will only sponsor those who can be seen...(the ones who don't need the free parts in the first place). Its kind-of a joke in the end. I think the fabricators are insain asking $700-$1200 for a set of a-arms that don't take 3 hours to make and the ones paying that either have money shuved up their *** constantly or are just stupid and I think that is why ATV's, and the people riding them, will NEVER be taken as serious as the bikes. I really believe the factories see it the same way I do. Any of you young guys who aren't blessed with wealthy parents who think I'm an *********, grow up and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about OOOOOOORRRRRRRR take a job where you get paid by the unit(i'm a bricklayer) and at the end of the day when you are dead tired look back at what you earned that day, get on the internet, look at those $1200 a-arms or $700 exhuast and I promise you will look straight to the computer and say,"you have GOT to be sh_tting me!" If you don't understand why I just said heres an example:
$25 an hour = $1000 on 40 hours
TAXES for a man with no kids (married and 0 or single and 1) =
around 25%....$250
You are left with around $750

smr
06-01-2007, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by TWILES
I got my Banshee totally together in 2002. I went to Loretta Lynn's in 2003 and signed up in Open-A. I got to the gate and looked both ways. I saw 1 250R and me on 2-strokes. EVERYONE else was on $20,000+ hybrids on a full gate of 20. I realized that day that there was no sence in me trying to stay racing. I've even read in magazines in the "How To Get Sponsors" article that the companies will only sponsor those who can be seen...(the ones who don't need the free parts in the first place). Its kind-of a joke in the end. I think the fabricators are insain asking $700-$1200 for a set of a-arms that don't take 3 hours to make and the ones paying that either have money shuved up their *** constantly or are just stupid and I think that is why ATV's, and the people riding them, will NEVER be taken as serious as the bikes. I really believe the factories see it the same way I do. Any of you young guys who aren't blessed with wealthy parents who think I'm an *********, grow up and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about OOOOOOORRRRRRRR take a job where you get paid by the unit(i'm a bricklayer) and at the end of the day when you are dead tired look back at what you earned that day, get on the internet, look at those $1200 a-arms or $700 exhuast and I promise you will look straight to the computer and say,"you have GOT to be sh_tting me!" If you don't understand why I just said heres an example:
$25 an hour = $1000 on 40 hours
TAXES for a man with no kids (married and 0 or single and 1) =
around 25%....$250
You are left with around $750

You make a very good point. That's why I have said so many times that I think they should have to leave the quads stock. I know it sounds crazy and I know they tried it in GNCC but I think it's crazy how much money people spend on these quads.

Oh..and as far as looking at what they cost, most people don't care cuase they are gonna put it on thier credit cards.

quad2xtreme
06-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Cost of racing a mx bike = $8,000 for a new bike + $100 for new bars.

Cost of racing a quad = tons of money on mods.

Barry Hawk switched from being the 7-time XC champ to bikes for a reason...money talks. He didn't switch to prove he could win at both.

If you are winning on a quad, you might make a few bucks...even Joe Byrd and Natalie are still essentially privateers. If you are losing on a quad, then you are sinking lots of money. Think of every race weekend as a vacation trip and you will get the idea how much money floats out of your wallet.

my88r
06-01-2007, 12:41 PM
if your a good a class rider their is money there. the only bad thing is that the money comes from the winnings. you dont get paid like a real job. my i would rather have a 9-5 job and rae on the weekends not trying to make raceing a full time career.

pats2007450er
06-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by TWILES
I don't think I'm wrong is saying that a guy who can afford to go at racing to the point he gets "real" money paying sponsors is probably loaded in the first place and doesn't even need the money. what chris jenks said was (i works 50-60 hours a week and come home work on my bike thats why im always late getting here but thats the way it is you have to afford to come)thats what he said at the race.i'v even got it on tape and if i could put it on here then i would.its when he was racing for (mickey dunlap four stroke tech)on the orange 450r in 2005.i dont think anything has change because he hasen't moved up any.he has had a bad strek of luck so far this year.i hope jenks moves up in points and maybe capture a podium but im cheering for borich this year.he has worked so hard and i think he desirves it.

Andy Lagzdins
06-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Sit back and enjoy- here is my story.
My parents were immigrants who came to the US with NOTHING. They had to build their lives from scratch, working just to raise me, my sister and brother. I started delivering newspapers when I was 11-12 to buy a bicycle to race BMX. My parents were so against that kind of luxury stuff that I had to pay for it all myself with the money I earned. I bought my first Mongoose Cr-mo bicycle frame with money I made serving papers, and then it took me another winter of shoveling snow to buy all the parts to finish the bike! I rode my bicycle to my first BMX race because my parents wouldn't have let me go if they knew I was racing. I won my very first BMX race in 1982 and brought the trophy home and then my Dad started taking me to the races. I started working at the local bicycle shop when I was 13 making $2.30 an hour. I would get deals on bike parts and eventually won the MD state series in 1985. I would go to school in the morning, then ride my bike to work in the afternoon and then ride home in the evening. On Saturdays I would ride my bicycle to work, borrow my boss's lawnmower, push the mower down to the local motorcycle shop with my skateboard and mow their grass in exchange for parts for my ATC200X, then work all day at the bike shop. I started riding three wheelers in 1984 and in 1987 I bought a brand new ATC250R from the local dealer. I was now working as a draftsman full time and at the bicycle shop at night. I started racing my ATC250R and in 1988 I went to my first GNCC, the Blackwater 100. In 1989 I bought a TRX250R and started racing the C class in the GNCC's. I remember borrowing money from this girl I worked with to buy a set of new tires for the weekend's race. In 1994, after racing the series for years in the A Class in the Bob Sloan and Barry Hawk era, I couldn't afford it any more, so I sold my quad and concentrated on getting my business going (DirtFirst). I started racing again in 1999 and have done the GNCC's since. I didn't get a bit of support from anyone until 2003 when I finished 5th in the Pro Class, and then Duncan Racing, ITP, and Doug Roll started to help me out. I work an easy 60 hours a week year round, don't own a home, car, or have a family- but I am supported by my friends who help me chase my dream. I still put out every bit of money I can to race as much as possible, and I definately don't make a profit from racing, not even close! I will try to win races until I just can't do it anymore, because that is what my life has and always will revolve around.

my88r
06-01-2007, 10:04 PM
its cool you have raced the blackwater 100. are the only person how works at your bussiness what all do you there and do you have a web site

pats2007450er
06-01-2007, 10:57 PM
i wished i was as fast as lagzdins and the other pro's.man the pro's just dont realize how fast they are.when i see andy and the other pro's race it make's me feel like a begginer.i just dont see how they shoot through tree's as fast as they do.i always end up taggin a tree when i try to hard.it feels like im not getting any faster.i want to see more people on the podium like derisi,lagzdins,houston,mcclure,reed,morphew,sturd ivant, gallagher.i know they all have what it take's to be up there.i just want to see different pro's on the podium.i hope one day i will be pro.:D

Pappy
06-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Andy Lagzdins
My parents were immigrants who came to the US with NOTHING. They had to build their lives from scratch, working just to raise me, my sister and brother. I started delivering newspapers when I was 11-12 to buy a bicycle to race BMX. My parents were so against that kind of luxury stuff that I had to pay for it all myself with the money I earned. I bought my first Mongoose Cr-mo bicycle frame with money I made serving papers, and then it took me another winter of shoveling snow to buy all the parts to finish the bike! I rode my bicycle to my first BMX race because my parents wouldn't have let me go if they knew I was racing. I won my very first BMX race in 1982 and brought the trophy home and then my Dad started taking me to the races. I started working at the local bicycle shop when I was 13 making $2.30 an hour. I would get deals on bike parts and eventually won the MD state series in 1985. I would go to school in the morning, then ride my bike to work in the afternoon and then ride home in the evening. On Saturdays I would ride my bicycle to work, borrow my boss's lawnmower, push the mower down to the local motorcycle shop with my skateboard and mow their grass in exchange for parts for my ATC200X, then work all day at the bike shop. I started riding three wheelers in 1984 and in 1987 I bought a brand new ATC250R from the local dealer. I was now working as a draftsman full time and at the bicycle shop at night. I started racing my ATC250R and in 1988 I went to my first GNCC, the Blackwater 100. In 1989 I bought a TRX250R and started racing the C class in the GNCC's. I remember borrowing money from this girl I worked with to buy a set of new tires for the weekend's race. In 1994, after racing the series for years in the A Class in the Bob Sloan and Barry Hawk era, I couldn't afford it any more, so I sold my quad and concentrated on getting my business going (DirtFirst). I started racing again in 1999 and have done the GNCC's since. I didn't get a bit of support from anyone until 2003 when I finished 5th in the Pro Class, and then Duncan Racing, ITP, and Doug Roll started to help me out. I work an easy 60 hours a week year round, don't own a home, car, or have a family- but I am supported by my friends who help me chase my dream. I still put out every bit of money I can to race as much as possible, and I definately don't make a profit from racing, not even close! I will try to win races until I just can't do it anymore, because that is what my life has and always will revolve around.

Andy, you were the first person I ever saw jump "big" on a quad. It was that uphill jump at Antetiam in 89 I believe:eek2: A few of us have been watching you from the start, we did not have money to help but a trackside cheer for ya was always available:p

A few of the top riders may be making a living wage now, and the future does look bright. I'd have to say that the money and time invested in any rider that makes it to Pro status would be a wash when levied across the expenses it to took to get there and with a career so short, I highly doubt many could prove they actually made money. The future may be different, as factory backing and sponsorships are coming much earlier in a career, funny how has all changed.

TWILES
06-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by smr
You make a very good point. That's why I have said so many times that I think they should have to leave the quads stock. I know it sounds crazy and I know they tried it in GNCC but I think it's crazy how much money people spend on these quads.

Oh..and as far as looking at what they cost, most people don't care cuase they are gonna put it on thier credit cards.

I don't think they should have to leave them stock but they should be a whole lot more limited than they are. I thought the Production rule would make it more affordable but its made everything cost more in the end. I agree with Pappy. I think the future is bright but I don't think its coming any time soon. I first 450 came out 4 years ago come August and it hasn't made the huge impact(aside from the expense) that everyone, including me, thought it would. I remember seeing Cory Ellis at Loretta Lynn's on the YFZ and was amazed. Boy did that enthusiasm go quick when I saw the price and mentally factored in the expense and aftermarket parts. Atleast with the bikes they will tell you what the Pro's use. With the quads its like...SHHHHHHHHH...its a secrect. And then 500 idiots create their own line to pay extremely redicuals amounts of money for something that took 15 minutes to make and does nothing. In the end it a racket for "tuners" and thats it. I saw it 10 years ago at the Loretta Lynn's area qualifier at Lowes. When all these people show up to try to qualify on new bikes down to junk and its a coin toss to determin the winner, it really shows what racing is all about and quad racing has lost that. It was there when I started on a worn-out 500 Quadracer 10 years ago and stayed up till the millionheirs started building $25,000 hybrids and rubing them in the average-Joe's face. Then you saw "clicks" and **** went down hill from there. Now the "click" I would have fallen in to is gone. Its been replaced by the "other" crowd which is one that I DO NOT feel a working man fits in to. Most of these idiots in their 20's don't even know what its like to actually make enough money on your own to buy yourself and a girl supper. They still suck tit....just not the one they are trying to get.....they are glued to momma and daddy's. Then you see them at the track with their bike, $300 sun glasses, nice NEW truck, new gear, $500 helmet, hot but stupid looking girlfriend and momma litterally paid for all of it including the girl and you can tell because she's tagging along right behind them.

gibson400ex
06-02-2007, 03:53 PM
doug gust owned digger doug excavation

and im pretty sure he dosnt do it anymore, since he has a factory ride now, but he might still have it

pats2007450er
06-02-2007, 06:03 PM
yea doug still does digger doug excavation and did you know that doug gust has his pilot license and flys his plane to almost every race.i just herd them talking about that on tv.

Tommy 17
06-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Bike riders pay just as much as quad riders for modifications to their bikes... its also a rich money game...

my 2 buddies at college that race are LOADED! you can't compete with them... they are 2 brothers and they have 12 bikes between the 2 of them... they have 6 crf250s and 6 crf450s... also they have a 45ft motor home with a huge *** pull behind trailer that is nicer then most garages... they get all the bikes brand new every fall... they get

1 practice 450f
1 practice 250f
1 mod 250f
1 mod 450f
1 stock 450f
1 stock 250f

and the mod and practice bikes are completly built with 49mm suspension set up by factory connection... i think they told me a set of the forks alone are 5,000+... the motors are built by pro circuit and i gurantee they aren't cheap either...

so don't think that bike riders don't spend a good amount either... these guys are very good... they've been to lorretta lynns and mini os... but the money and bikes DEF help them out...

FHKracingZ
06-03-2007, 10:26 AM
tommy you have a good point but your also mising the point. Most Good A bike riders sign up for a pro race at one time. If ure a pro at all in the bikes theres a good chance you have somebody paying for all your stuff. Quads for 2x more expsensive then bikes. You CAN take a stock crf 450 bike to a local A class race and win, ive seen it done many of times. Can you take a stock 450r and do that?

Dirtiredneck
06-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Good write up Andy.....

It's nice to know the true stories behind the Pro riders these days. Especially with all the BS, being that some racers don't have a clue as to what some Pro riders had to go through to get to where they are today. Most people think that just because they are PRO and have sponsors backing them, that they make a ton of $$ racing and Have nothing to worry about. Your story proves a point that you and other Pro guys out there have had to work from nothing to get to where you are and that you are still busting your butt to make things work, but loving everything you do in life to do it. Good luck to your racing, hope you heal up soon and I will try and stop by the shop sometime and say HI and maybe pick up some things....

440racer66
06-08-2007, 01:42 PM
well john natalie is not hurtin for cash we all know that and i have two quads a driver camper and a tow behind tailor my parents buy 99% of all my stuff i work too but im not a brat or anything like that we arent rich by anymeans we get by this sport is exspensive and every one that puts down kids whos parents are loaded ans stuff are just jealous of it if you had the chance to get the same thing you would take it. like i said my parents work very hard for what we have got very hard. and i love them and they love me they suport me 110% they are great i love them to death but dont put anyone down for what they or there parents have earned they love the sport as much as you or they wouldnt be doin it soo thats my veiw on this subject

SRH
06-09-2007, 10:30 PM
the diff between the rich kids is even if they work hard most of them dont have to there parents are never going to see there children dead broke and living in poverty so i dont think they ever sweat the things some of us do

its a completely diff game when your parents are just getting by and your in a dead end job,along with tackling all of lifes other responsibilities and race and pay for racing all by yourself, your almost forced to pour your heart and soul into everything you do just because you have no choice and nothing to fall back on and there becomes a point when you have to choose a future or racing until you can no longer afford it and your left with nothing, im sure the "james stewart" of quads is flipping burgers somewhere just because he couldnt afford what it takes to compete at the top level....

i think mcgrath is probably the last rags to riches guy in the mx scene and he didnt make nothing compared to rc and stewart...nowadays the top bike riders are rich kids from the start

poogi
06-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Dirtiredneck
Good write up Andy.....

It's nice to know the true stories behind the Pro riders these days. Especially with all the BS, being that some racers don't have a clue as to what some Pro riders had to go through to get to where they are today. Most people think that just because they are PRO and have sponsors backing them, that they make a ton of $$ racing and Have nothing to worry about. Your story proves a point that you and other Pro guys out there have had to work from nothing to get to where you are and that you are still busting your butt to make things work, but loving everything you do in life to do it. Good luck to your racing, hope you heal up soon and I will try and stop by the shop sometime and say HI and maybe pick up some things....

Aint no doubt that man loves what he does and i am glad to consider him as a friend ,that guy live and breaths quad racing and i'll support him any way i can just cuz he is a stand up guy who had a dream and built it into a empire .So people wondering what pro racers make try becoming a pro and tell us what you make and if it is worth dumping everything in the world to be a pro I am all about it .I dump about 25% of my paycheck in my quad each week and my quad is almost as good as a pro's wrecked up practice bike that they lend to thier cousin Pete for the weekend rode hard tossed off of a cliff rolled down a hill 4 times end over end then barrel rolled 6 times in case the first 4 seemed to just maybe miss a spot that hadnt got a ding or a contusion on it .But I love racing and riding so i will spend what I can afford .It isnt the prettiest thing to look at but it might be blowing by you !!and that is all I got to say about that ! Oh yeah GO REDNECK!!!

poogi
06-10-2007, 10:58 PM

dude you shouldn't sugar coat this stuff ,you work 80 to 90 hours a week .:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Pappy
06-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by my88r
im not a big fan of andy. his race results are truble this year. i sent him a few pms he never got back to me. he works those hours AT HIS OWN SHOP so he doesnt make any money very little if any never really heard of his shop not really popular at all.

Andy has a large following locally and does a great deal of business. he doesnt advertise on this site out of respect for our sponsors and quite frankly probably doesnt need the added business from online sales. He has gone out of his way to offer his writing abilities up to everyone interested in racing from 2 different continents and has never asked for a single thing.

Your free to not be a fan of his racing results, but i will gladly ask what you have done for the sport?

my88r
06-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Andy has a large following locally and does a great deal of business. he doesnt advertise on this site out of respect for our sponsors and quite frankly probably doesnt need the added business from online sales. He has gone out of his way to offer his writing abilities up to everyone interested in racing from 2 different continents and has never asked for a single thing.

Your free to not be a fan of his racing results, but i will gladly ask what you have done for the sport?

does he have a web site no hard feelings. i like that write up it was nice to have him do that.

mx428
06-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
Bike riders pay just as much as quad riders for modifications to their bikes... its also a rich money game...

my 2 buddies at college that race are LOADED! you can't compete with them... they are 2 brothers and they have 12 bikes between the 2 of them... they have 6 crf250s and 6 crf450s... also they have a 45ft motor home with a huge *** pull behind trailer that is nicer then most garages... they get all the bikes brand new every fall... they get

1 practice 450f
1 practice 250f
1 mod 250f
1 mod 450f
1 stock 450f
1 stock 250f

and the mod and practice bikes are completly built with 49mm suspension set up by factory connection... i think they told me a set of the forks alone are 5,000+... the motors are built by pro circuit and i gurantee they aren't cheap either...

so don't think that bike riders don't spend a good amount either... these guys are very good... they've been to lorretta lynns and mini os... but the money and bikes DEF help them out... That's a little excessive. I know quite a few really fast A riders with stock bikes struggling to buy gas. You can win A class locally or nationally (Lorettas, Ponca, Etc.) on a bone stock bike. Ryan Hughes got 5th o/a at Millville on an RM-Z450 with a pipe and a set of bars on it. Bikes are race ready in stock form, all you really need is suspension which just makes it easier to ride and go faster. It took me a while to realize you don't need all the flashy bull**** to go fast, just some good suspension, and even that isn't entirely necessary.

Ryan
06-13-2007, 05:19 PM
I would love to jump into riding and racing atvs again. Its just to expensive to get that exact setup I want. Even just buying a used stock machine, its expensive. Maybe im just an impaitent person. This is why I decided to go out and buy a used dirtbike, soon. I can do anything on a stock dirtbike as I could on any of the pro's bike, (that being my riding skill on bikes). I only ridden bikes maybe 4 times in my life, so i'll see how that works out. :p

I do respect everyone who has worked hard for there money to persue their hobby. I finally got back into working, after about 8 months of being unemployed.

I remember when I had my blaster and 416ex. I couldn't afford to keep gas in it because of all the other problems, and I was workin about 50 hours a week. I road my used 416ex maybe 15-20 hours.... TOPS, and put over 2,000 in parts breaking. Ofcourse I bought a used, raced, machine that couldn't take anymore. As far as the blaster, I guess I was just to hard on it :macho . 1,500 just for parts breaking, and another 2 grand for other extra stuff.

Between all that, car insurance, and other spending expenses, it was just to tight.

SRH
06-14-2007, 03:39 PM
im not a big fan of andy. his race results are truble this year. i sent him a few pms he never got back to me. he works those hours AT HIS OWN SHOP so he doesnt make any money very little if any never really heard of his shop not really popular at all.

christ, the guy works 60-80 hrs and your upset he hasnt returned your pm's? anyone that runs there own business knows how time consuming and hard it is to get going just because his business isnt seen all over doesnt mean hes not making any money... either way its more rewarding than making someone else rich

AtvMxRider
06-14-2007, 04:42 PM

He probably didn't answer because he can't understand a word you say:ermm:

hondaracer305
06-14-2007, 05:07 PM
i would say their sponsors pay them more than they get for races...

trx450rbaja
06-15-2007, 07:20 AM
I agree with everything that has been said so far as for Andy you go man!!! It is very difficult to compete I race the Score series and it's makes you feel really bad when I go by the pits and all you see are semi's and decked out rigs I use a van and a small enclosed trailer the money that is put out is amazing. I own a computer company with 4 locations across the U.S. and I still go broke all the time just trying to keep up with everyone else. I also race GNCC occasionally just for conditioning but I race the vet a class because thats the only class I can ride and keep up somewhat but i'm like Andy this is something that I love to do and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. As far as pro racers are concerned the guys that race Baja tend to get sponsors a little easier than most just because there really aren't as many riders that do what we do, baja was a life long dream of mine and I was able to fullfill that dream many years ago my best finish was 9th Pro Quads since then I have dropped a class because i'm getting older and wiser. And relized that after the race I have to work next week. This is just my thoughts and things I have seen in my 20 years of racing to all the young up and coming guys out there work hard and spend Money!!! and someone will notice and give you some decent sponsorships but in the end you will probably still be losing money.

Ride Safe

bwamos
06-15-2007, 08:27 AM
We really appreciate the writeup Andy. :)

I would wager there are a LOT more Andy's out there than rich kids.

Pro racing takes a huge amount of sacrifice and commitment. Taking the easy way there is not conducive to the commitment required to stay in the game.

The rich kids are usually sandbagging it down in the C-class so they can win with less effort. :p

Sjorge450R
06-15-2007, 09:56 AM
ive raced with Andy before and he is just a really really smooth rider. I race A class in D-6 and he showed up to a race at Foot of the Mountain. The race started and he was GONE. He came up and lapped me on the last lap and before i Knew it he was gone.

Sjorge450R
06-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by bwamos

The rich kids are usually sandbagging it down in the C-class so they can win with less effort. :p

haha i know a lot of kids that are like that. There is a full blown YFZ in D-6 that looks like a Pro class quad. Needless to say, i dont think he finishes that well.

STEVENJANNA
06-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Pappy

Pappy,
How can somone NOT need added business? It's pretty clear from his (Andy's) post that life and racing are a struggle. More business = increased volume = increased revenue = increased profits = which will ultimately allow him to buy more of what we all need and that's time.

Sjorge450R
06-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by STEVENJANNA
Pappy,
How can somone NOT need added business? It's pretty clear from his (Andy's) post that life and racing are a struggle. More business = increased volume = increased revenue = increased profits = which will ultimately allow him to buy more of what we all need and that's time.

he'd have to hire more work and then he would loose that extra profit. Im sure he is up to his neck in work right now.

STEVENJANNA
06-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
he'd have to hire more work and then he would loose that extra profit. Im sure he is up to his neck in work right now.
So according to you more labor = lost profit.
I guess I should close up my company then.

Since Lee Scott doesn't man the cash register and has to hire thousands of people to fill just that 1 position, does Wal-Mart work at a loss?

my88r
06-15-2007, 01:04 PM
andy works on quads so he charges a hourly rate. most of the shops now are a least $70 per hour. plus if he sells parts. im not sure if he sells new and used bikes and quads. that rate there brings in the money.

Sjorge450R
06-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by STEVENJANNA
So according to you more labor = lost profit.
I guess I should close up my company then.

Since Lee Scott doesn't man the cash register and has to hire thousands of people to fill just that 1 position, does Wal-Mart work at a loss?

im not saying that, i was just trying to say maybe he doesnt want his company to grow.

STEVENJANNA
06-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Gotcha.

I don't understand that logic, but to each his own.

parkers30
06-15-2007, 02:22 PM
there is a line where you either have to make a dramatic jump in business to justify two people or work alot of hours as one person. It sounds like is already working alot hours when the business is booming. Quads, accessories and maintenance would seem to be a relatively seasonal business.

With two people their efficiency per hour worked will go down.

Andy Lagzdins
06-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Just so there is no speculation, here are some more facts about my business, DirtFirst. Just for the record, I don't regret any part of it, and would do it all again if I had to!

I started DirtFirst in 1991 with the intention to be a fabrication company very similar to PRM Products or AC Racing, and invested in tubing benders and TIG welders to make aluminum parts such as nerf bars and skidplates. Unfortunately, the racing ATV market was hitting a low point with no new sport models and the demise of the TRX250R and LT250R. I started taking in race prep and service work, and soon stopped doing any parts production except for grabbars and custom parts.

In 1996 I quit my full time job and worked at DirtFirst only. As anyone who has done this themselves knows, it is a very scary and unstable period of growing a business. I had two fulltime employees and had to stop riding and racing, sell my equipment, and sleep on a sofa in the shop for about a year to make it through. Things were getting better in 1997, and then my landlord refused to renew my lease because we were running bikes and quads on the premises and he felt it was a liability risk. With limited time to move the business, I had to settle for a building just outside the Baltimore Beltway that was absolutely empty with no walls, ceilings, electric outlets, nothing. An empty shell. My friends and family helped move everything at the last minute while my landlord watched. We spent days straight building rooms, running wiring, making shelving, and turned a 50' x 100' empty warehouse into a motorcycle shop.

Once things got going again at the new location, I decided to go back to racing the GNCC's. In 1999 I ran a few nationals and in 2000 rode the whole series in the Pro Class and also raced a motorcycle at a few events. I have raced the series since, and my racing helps me stay abreast of the latest epuipment and machine setups so I can sell DirtFirst customers parts that I know will work. The majority of my customers have never even been to a race, but know that I am a Pro racer and have faith in my work and my advice. I take groups of my customers riding, and show them what kind of fun can be had riding quads and bikes so they will stay enthusiastic about the sport. I have turned dozens of trail riders onto racing over the years, and have helped keep people involved in the sport that might not have kept riding otherwise.

My business has leveled out over the last few years, and I have been able to fine tune the way the business runs to allow more time for me to chase the dream of winning National and International races. I employ two full time mechanics and two full time parts guys that keep my shop open and profitable while I am away racing. It is tough finding good people, and I am blessed with a passionate crew of enthusiasts that I keep employed all through the winter months. The size of my shop, number of employees, amount of business, and methods of advertising are all factors in a delicate balance that is working good right now. DirtFirst does well over half a million in gross sales a year, and stocks over 250K in parts and accessories. We currently have 60+ bikes and quads in my shop. I am working towards taking the next step in growing my company, but it will be a few years before a major change involving a relocation can be implemented. I'm really concentrating on keeping the shop going smoothly and keeping myself improving as a racer.

With so much of my business being local walk-in customers, I don't have a website up currently and am not even that hard pressed to get it going! However, I have been working with a fellow ATVRiders.com forum member who has built a good information site for DirtFirst that will have the basic info on my shop and what products and services we offer. I have intentionally tried not to plug my shop on the web in the past, but I couldn't resist giving a factual account of an ATV Pro rider's work history and lifestyle, because there are always so many theories and assumptions thrown around about this subject.

Here's to all the riders who work hard and make sacrifices to keep doing what they love. Amen, brothers!

trx450rbaja
06-15-2007, 09:26 PM
You are a good guy Andy! thanks for the posts it's good to see your buisness is growing keep it up. :)

07250ex
06-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Andy i want to thank you for all the input and good influence you've casted over this thread

STEVENJANNA
06-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Andy,
Since it seems like you care alot about this sport and your business why not persue advertisement on this site or others? Is it that expensive to put up a banner on this site? I don't know the answer to that question. After reading you reports, reviews and articles you seem like a passionate and knowledgeable guy, what keeps you from becoming the next Alba, Nacs, or K&K?

poogi
06-20-2007, 10:12 PM
:D

my88r
06-20-2007, 10:31 PM
i will be waiting for the autographed poster. thanks andy. will be sure to order some parts from you. your really a great guy. not to many pros would take the time to do that. maybe one of these days i will make it down their to your shop.:) :)

poogi
06-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Just so there is no speculation, here are some more facts about my business, DirtFirst. Just for the record, I don't regret any part of it, and would do it all again if I had to!

I started DirtFirst in 1991 with the intention to be a fabrication company very similar to PRM Products or AC Racing, and invested in tubing benders and TIG welders to make aluminum parts such as nerf bars and skidplates. Unfortunately, the racing ATV market was hitting a low point with no new sport models and the demise of the TRX250R and LT250R. I started taking in race prep and service work, and soon stopped doing any parts production except for grabbars and custom parts.

In 1996 I quit my full time job and worked at DirtFirst only. As anyone who has done this themselves knows, it is a very scary and unstable period of growing a business. I had two fulltime employees and had to stop riding and racing, sell my equipment, and sleep on a sofa in the shop for about a year to make it through. Things were getting better in 1997, and then my landlord refused to renew my lease because we were running bikes and quads on the premises and he felt it was a liability risk. With limited time to move the business, I had to settle for a building just outside the Baltimore Beltway that was absolutely empty with no walls, ceilings, electric outlets, nothing. An empty shell. My friends and family helped move everything at the last minute while my landlord watched. We spent days straight building rooms, running wiring, making shelving, and turned a 50' x 100' empty warehouse into a motorcycle shop.

Once things got going again at the new location, I decided to go back to racing the GNCC's. In 1999 I ran a few nationals and in 2000 rode the whole series in the Pro Class and also raced a motorcycle at a few events. I have raced the series since, and my racing helps me stay abreast of the latest epuipment and machine setups so I can sell DirtFirst customers parts that I know will work. The majority of my customers have never even been to a race, but know that I am a Pro racer and have faith in my work and my advice. I take groups of my customers riding, and show them what kind of fun can be had riding quads and bikes so they will stay enthusiastic about the sport. I have turned dozens of trail riders onto racing over the years, and have helped keep people involved in the sport that might not have kept riding otherwise.

My business has leveled out over the last few years, and I have been able to fine tune the way the business runs to allow more time for me to chase the dream of winning National and International races. I employ two full time mechanics and two full time parts guys that keep my shop open and profitable while I am away racing. It is tough finding good people, and I am blessed with a passionate crew of enthusiasts that I keep employed all through the winter months. The size of my shop, number of employees, amount of business, and methods of advertising are all factors in a delicate balance that is working good right now. DirtFirst does well over half a million in gross sales a year, and stocks over 250K in parts and accessories. We currently have 60+ bikes and quads in my shop. I am working towards taking the next step in growing my company, but it will be a few years before a major change involving a relocation can be implemented. I'm really concentrating on keeping the shop going smoothly and keeping myself improving as a racer.

With so much of my business being local walk-in customers, I don't have a website up currently and am not even that hard pressed to get it going! However, I have been working with a fellow ATVRiders.com forum member who has built a good information site for DirtFirst that will have the basic info on my shop and what products and services we offer. I have intentionally tried not to plug my shop on the web in the past, but I couldn't resist giving a factual account of an ATV Pro rider's work history and lifestyle, because there are always so many theories and assumptions thrown around about this subject.

Here's to all the riders who work hard and make sacrifices to keep doing what they love. Amen, brothers!

Dirt First is the best shop on the east coast I know because i been to the other shops and you ask them for a new ball joint for your Roll Design A arm and they look at you like you just spoke some foriegn language ,If you ask the parts guys at Dirt First what size main jet you should put in your bike after you bought a new exhaust they will give you a knowledgeable answer from experience .Dirt First is not your typical motorcycle / atv shop ,it has dedicated employees that go out of thier way to help you out not for a profit but for something they get when repeat customers come back the following week and tell thier stories about how they hammered so hard they need to get the smiles surgically removed from thier face !!!,That is what Dirt First is all about to me !!thanks for letting me share I'll keep coming back!!!:D

poogi
06-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by poogi
Dirt First is the best shop on the east coast I know because i been to the other shops and you ask them for a new ball joint for your Roll Design A arm and they look at you like you just spoke some foriegn language ,If you ask the parts guys at Dirt First what size main jet you should put in your bike after you bought a new exhaust they will give you a knowledgeable answer from experience .Dirt First is not your typical motorcycle / atv shop ,it has dedicated employees that go out of thier way to help you out not for a profit but for something they get when repeat customers come back the following week and tell thier stories about how they hammered so hard they need to get the smiles surgically removed from thier face !!!,That is what Dirt First is all about to me !!thanks for letting me share I'll keep coming back!!!:D

Now thats free advertising !!!Do you think I can get a discount !Just kidding but not really !!!:D :D

my88r
06-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by poogi
Dirt First is the best shop on the east coast I know because i been to the other shops and you ask them for a new ball joint for your Roll Design A arm and they look at you like you just spoke some foriegn language ,If you ask the parts guys at Dirt First what size main jet you should put in your bike after you bought a new exhaust they will give you a knowledgeable answer from experience .Dirt First is not your typical motorcycle / atv shop ,it has dedicated employees that go out of thier way to help you out not for a profit but for something they get when repeat customers come back the following week and tell thier stories about how they hammered so hard they need to get the smiles surgically removed from thier face !!!,That is what Dirt First is all about to me !!thanks for letting me share I'll keep coming back!!!:D :) :)

quad71
06-22-2007, 02:36 AM
Andy stocks so many parts you can walk in and ride out on an atv. Thanks for all the help over the last 12 years. Team Dirt First Racer Vince Hewitt jr #151

Pappy
06-22-2007, 05:19 AM
Glad to see I was pretty accurate on my assumptions, and I havent ever spoke to Andy about business, infact i havent spoke to him since the Penton:p Some things just lend themselves to being apparent, and when your dealing with an honest and real person, putting it all together comes easy;)

See ya in about 3 hours:cool:

Rulz
06-22-2007, 06:48 AM
Andy's story is very much like Johnny Hale's (JH Racing). Johnny started out racing quads ever since he was just a little $hit and his dad would max out the credit cards just to get him to all the nationals each year. Johnny opened up his own shop several years ago and has done a great job at building his business up, at the expense of his riding time though. It's been tough for him to find a balance of getting enough practice time in to stay competitive, even in the pro-am class at the WPSA/Nationals, especially since most all of even the pro-am guys any more can concentrate full time on just riding/racing/practicing. JH can't do that, unless he wanted his business to suffer.

JH is a great guy too, throw some business his way if you haven't yet, his prices can't be beat!!

my88r
06-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Rulz
Andy's story is very much like Johnny Hale's (JH Racing). Johnny started out racing quads ever since he was just a little $hit and his dad would max out the credit cards just to get him to all the nationals each year. Johnny opened up his own shop several years ago and has done a great job at building his business up, at the expense of his riding time though. It's been tough for him to find a balance of getting enough practice time in to stay competitive, even in the pro-am class at the WPSA/Nationals, especially since most all of even the pro-am guys any more can concentrate full time on just riding/racing/practicing. JH can't do that, unless he wanted his business to suffer.

JH is a great guy too, throw some business his way if you haven't yet, his prices can't be beat!!

does he have a website.

my88r
06-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Andy i got the autographed poster yesterday. thanks alot. good luck at the snowshoe.:) :)

Rulz
06-23-2007, 08:38 AM
does he have a website.

Yes, not sure how up to date it's kept though:

http://j-hracing.com/

the 97
06-23-2007, 03:39 PM
If it was cheep and easy then everyone would be a pro…you just have to ask your self how bad you want it and if it's worth what you have to put to get there.

poogi
06-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by quad71
Andy stocks so many parts you can walk in and ride out on an atv. Thanks for all the help over the last 12 years. Team Dirt First Racer Vince Hewitt jr #151

you know thats right !!

Jersey450R
09-10-2007, 11:26 AM
"the top GNCC guy" gets 10G a win.
"The new 2nd newest zuk guy" makes 200G a year.
Factory quad riders get at least 6 bikes in the begining of the season.
go ahead, call me a liar.
nothing we can do bout it.
*All of this is not including sponsors and endorsements.

i hope this isnt too graphic. If i made it pro and was top dog, i'de expext to get treated well also. i mean, you sacrifice and devote every day of the year to your company. Factory riders=Factory numbers and there is nothing us A,B,C and LMNOP riders can do about it. I'm not mad like some people get, nor am i envious...just simply proud of these guys. You basically give up your life and have to do ALOT of things you would never or dont even want to do most of the time. BUT, you must have the love for quads and not mind all of the above.

SRH
09-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
"the top GNCC guy" gets 10G a win.
"The new 2nd newest zuk guy" makes 200G a year.
Factory quad riders get at least 6 bikes in the begining of the season.
go ahead, call me a liar.
nothing we can do bout it.
*All of this is not including sponsors and endorsements.

i hope this isnt too graphic. If i made it pro and was top dog, i'de expext to get treated well also. i mean, you sacrifice and devote every day of the year to your company. Factory riders=Factory numbers and there is nothing us A,B,C and LMNOP riders can do about it. I'm not mad like some people get, nor am i envious...just simply proud of these guys. You basically give up your life and have to do ALOT of things you would never or dont even want to do most of the time. BUT, you must have the love for quads and not mind all of the above.

if thats true, im glad there finally making some money, even if its chicken feed compared to the bike mx guys

jb500ex
09-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by SRH
if thats true, im glad there finally making some money, even if its chicken feed compared to the bike mx guys

he's off, they don't even get that much. not even close to 200,000 for base contract

250Renvy
09-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Very interesting thread. When I was trying to get back into quads and specifically 250R's I talked to a lot of guys who raced "back in the day"

Their stories, like Andy's are great to hear because there was no factory support. The factories had completely abandoned the sport even though ATV sales continued to grow at a rate greater than Bikes. (I think the lawsuit really turned them off ATV racing)
Everybody did it for the love of racing because there simply was no reward.

Anyway, to me that was an exciting time in the sport because that's when all the innovation of the aftermarkets took off.
The sport wasn't huge, so everybody knew everybody and even helped each other out. Even would be competitors started by trying to figure things out - an example is Walsh and Laeger sharing ideas for frames.

It was the good old days before it became commercialized, although ATV racing may not be there yet with the corporate sponsorship, it has a similar parallel to Skateboarding and surfing.

The saddest thing though is the discrepency in compensation and re-investment into product design.
ATV sales help fund Dirtbike, motorcycle and watercraft racing which is unfair.

Jersey450R
09-11-2007, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by jb500ex
he's off, they don't even get that much. not even close to 200,000 for base contract

not going to say where i get my info, but this guy CANNOT lie about this stuff.

jb500ex
09-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
not going to say where i get my info, but this guy CANNOT lie about this stuff.

well you need a better source.

Jersey450R
09-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by jb500ex
well you need a better source.

lol :p