PDA

View Full Version : Duner 125 typhoon

Louie
05-29-2007, 05:06 PM
I just got my son the 125 typhoon and plan on taking it to the pismo dunes in a couple of weeks. Question is should i change the front sprocket from a 13t to a 14t ? And will the honda 90 sprocket fit? He only weighs around 70 lbs. Any other recomendations of upgrades or modifications would really be appreciated. Thanks

richmond559
05-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Let me know when you go .I went on thursday and the 9yr old was going to go with his 125 but he got grounded from going so i hope he will stay out of trouble so he can go next time ..I have the 26mm makuni carb k&n filter factory4racing 5disc clutch.Put a headlight in so he can ride at night and has skat trak gliders.I was told to find a cdi out of a 107 pit bike it lets the bike rev up faster but still wont over rev..Was also told to lighten the flywheel but ive heard good and bad on this..It was a pit bike guy that sold me the typhoon.The carb and clutch has helped him alot he is a big boy about 119lbs..Id like to get him shocks next...Then hand it down to my girlfriends daughter..

azextreme
05-29-2007, 08:18 PM
leave the 13t these things are not that great in the sand! The spocket is not the same as the trx90, Call Extreme you can get them for $7 each 14t,15t,16t

Louie
06-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Your right !, it did not do too well in the sand. It seems to bury itself real easy. Even with 18" gliders it wouldnt float very well at low speeds. You had too keep your momentum to avoid getting stuck.

fastbikes
06-30-2007, 01:11 AM
my son and i just spent two days running at florence oregon dunes. he had to keep his 125 wide open to go any where. took him some adjusting ot learn to ride it that way. once he learned to ride it that way it did quite ok. but it is bone stock for now. i plan on switching him over to a cluthced pitbike 125 motor with a iner rotor and a head. so it should do alot better. but oh well its just money....

richmond559
06-30-2007, 01:23 AM
Going to pismo for a week this coming monday .Ill get to find out if a hd clutch, 26mm carb,with 18" gliders will do any good in the sand..Bringing the neighbors 250ex for him just incase it suck sand haha..Might have to get the new yamaha 250 if it dosnt do well..Wish us luck i dont want to sale it already its almost brand new...

Louie
06-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Engine wise it was fine! especially in the wet hard packed sand it ripped. In the soft sand is where you will see it struggles at low speeds. If you keep your speed up it will do alright. I think it's mostly due to the type of tires you have. I had 18" gliders, but it did'nt float very well. After all it is a mx bike, and thats what i got it for.

typhoon x2
12-09-2007, 03:07 AM
I have read so many posts about 125 ty not goood in sand! I have two and if you set up right you will be suprised! my kid walk all over All other kid quads. lt 80 My kids hole shot them in second and out run them in the same gear. I will post some dune climbs pics soon. The biggest issue is the front needs a 3" lift. this and air preasure @ 2 1/2-3 lbs. and you'll move. lifting the front tranfers the weight to the rear. there are many ways to lift it after market A-arms, moving lower A-arm shock mount lower uper.Uper was my solution and it works great weld and paint!No messing up crome lowers. I have been told you can ad on threads on shock, bad plan.

The motors are stock but we went with a 14tooth front for a wider second gear speed range but our riders weight is 35-45 lbs.

Note: this weld pic is of a trial welds were improved after a trial. Did not want make it hard to move if it did not work out. It did and it lifts it 3"

Better than $300 for arms + set up!

typhoon x2
12-09-2007, 03:42 AM
more

typhoon x2
12-09-2007, 03:46 AM
level

double d 1
12-10-2007, 07:09 AM
what kind of tires and what size are they? i took my son to little sahara in oklahoma, we live an hour away, and he couldnt get around very good. we brought his trx90 which has the stock balloon tires and they work so much better. we do have ams sidewinder paddle tires for trx but i dont think they work any better than the stock balloon tires. want to buy some paddles for the ty125 just not sure which way to go. thanks.