PDA

View Full Version : Ugh!

DeDo
10-17-2002, 01:07 PM
Last week while changing the oil on my '01 400EX I noticed a seriously bad thing - my oil tank was banged up pretty good. I am not sure when this happened - I do know that the tank does not leak, but I am unsure of whether I should leave this as is or change it out...

Here is a pic of the drain plug and you can see that it no longer lines up with the bracket in the frame...

Should I change it (its not leaking)...

How tough is it to change?

Do you replace the lines or use what is there (undamaged)?

DeDo

Str8Wicked
10-17-2002, 01:16 PM
I would see if the tank is leaking first. The tank shouldn't be leaking if it is as clean as in the picture. If it was leaking you would have evidence of it. I know on E-bay you can pick up some new tanks for cheap that people have taken off to put aftermarkets on.

Check it out.

DeDo
10-17-2002, 01:39 PM
its def not leaking -

i looked on ebay - there is a new tank for sale ($26) but it looks like it is cut in half and needs a gasket to go together... Is that normal? I would not think so...

YZROOSTINYA
10-18-2002, 04:46 AM
iif its not leaking than i would say f-it, keep the one you got. th prob is that there are compartments in the tank that might have been blocked off. the tank is one peice and that is all you would have to replace, you might new o-rings. the lines are fine if not busted. takes about a 1/2 hour to hour to swap

Leo
10-18-2002, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by DeDo
its def not leaking -

i looked on ebay - there is a new tank for sale ($26) but it looks like it is cut in half and needs a gasket to go together... Is that normal? I would not think so...

doesn't sound very normal to me :)

I'd be keeping an eye on it for sure.. being paranoid I'd probably take it out and look it over very carefully for cracks..

They aren't hard to change, and you can re-use the stock lines.. It might be a bit of a trick to snake it out by the header but it will come out..

Leo

DeDo
10-18-2002, 10:03 AM
I ended up emailing the guy and he said it was one piece - just a bad pic...

He also said that a new tank was $169 and his reserve was less then that... so, the $30 price was not even close to his reserve.

I will try to find a used one...

DeDo

stupid driver
10-18-2002, 10:48 AM
u might wanna chek out servicehonda.com . they hav about every part for the 4hunnerd, and its CHEAP. 60 buks for plastic. i bet the oil tank wud be cheap too

eldoexrider01
10-18-2002, 05:19 PM
if u dont mind spendin bucks, id go ahead and get an oversized tank. when i put my tank on i took off my heat sheild and when i was ridin it the heat off the pipe onto my leg was cooler than before wit the shield on. so thats somthin to think about