PDA

View Full Version : Cooling options..

EX LONERIDER
05-29-2007, 06:11 AM
so as im doing a 440 kit, im keeping in mind that id also like to add some cooling improvements to the bike. for one, i am going to run some nice air scoops for better concentrated air flow to the motor. the second thing is in the oil department. looking through ive seen alot of posts on oil coolers and bigger tanks. altho running a cooler sounds good, i found it kinda hard to choose what kind of cooler to do. as to where the bigger tanks, all that i found were pretty much bolt on improvement with the common bigger tanks.

bigger tank = more oil wich leads to = more oil to keep it cool.

at he same time..

bigger oil cooler = more oil only not as much but better cooling.

so whats the better option to do here? obviously both would be best but i'd like to keep evrything as close to bolt on as possible. what do you guys think?

1965 honda
05-29-2007, 10:42 AM
i have the over sized oil tank and its nice but its a real tight fit with exhaust. i will be getting the oversized oil cooler soon. both are bolt on parts no mods

400exrider707
05-29-2007, 10:44 AM
I would do the oil cooler personally. Also I think oil choice makes the biggest difference as well as proper jetting and proper fuel selection. I would run a good synthetic oil made for an atv.

EX LONERIDER
05-29-2007, 12:06 PM
thanks. i was thinking about the oil choice as well and agree that also makes the diffrence.

i beleive ill do the bigger tank at first and see how that does. the stock cooler seems pleanty efficient tho room is tight to do a bigger cooler as to where the bigger tank can go further down and forward. more oil capacity is a good thing so ill try that and research more on the oil cooler.

any suggestions as to who's oil cooler to go with or who to get it from? 1965 honda, who's cooler will you be using?

450Rchaser
05-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Who makes an oversized oil cooler for a 400ex?

TYayo420
05-29-2007, 01:19 PM
a cbr 1k or 1100 will fit, do a search on the ex forum, or thread, its was talked about last week it might be page 2 or 3 by now but its been discused recently

450Rchaser
05-29-2007, 01:26 PM
I read that, but i would like a direct fit of all parts. less chance of it messing up.

400exrider707
05-29-2007, 01:36 PM
All a bigger tank will really get you is longer intervals between oil changes and longer warm up times. The oil still reaches the same temps, but just takes longer to do so. Yes more surface area generally means more cooling, but some aftermarket headers are so close to the tank that they actually touch. Just keep an eye out for this too.

TYayo420
05-29-2007, 01:38 PM
^^^ what he just said, so the oil cooler is the way to go, check the honda rocklets, one will fit the ex.

1965 honda
05-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
thanks. i was thinking about the oil choice as well and agree that also makes the diffrence.

i beleive ill do the bigger tank at first and see how that does. the stock cooler seems pleanty efficient tho room is tight to do a bigger cooler as to where the bigger tank can go further down and forward. more oil capacity is a good thing so ill try that and research more on the oil cooler.

any suggestions as to who's oil cooler to go with or who to get it from? 1965 honda, who's cooler will you be using?

www.fourstroketech.com the mickey dunlap cooling system is one i thought there was another that just bolted on in the place of the stock one but i cant find the site .
the mickey dunlap is like 120$ i just found this site that has the same one for 35$ http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page15.html

1008 Universal ATV Oil Cooler Kit
Coil size: 1-1/2" x 5" x 7-1/2"

EX LONERIDER
05-29-2007, 08:56 PM
good find on that perma-cool oil cooler 65' honda!

that'd be perfect.

1965 honda
05-29-2007, 09:59 PM
i just found the bolt on oil cooler. 429$

http://www.pcpoffroad.com/svc400ex.html

EX LONERIDER
05-29-2007, 10:42 PM
:eek: holy ****!!!!! that just made my wallet cringe!

its kinda odd tho cus honestly its not that clean an install as i would figure for something that expensive. looks more like the welded 2 stock ones together.

the perma one is nice since you can actually remotely mount it elsewhere to catch more air......... that and its $399 cheaper mod.

you know, this is just a thought but someone should sticky one of these commonly asked question posts for future member reference.

i searched for this info and had to read through many many pages of people's opinions and i beleive this to be the cleanest, easiest, and definately the cheapest one of all.

F-16Guy
05-29-2007, 11:04 PM
This is the one from Jegs (Perma-Cool #1008). I made a grill from expanded steel from Lowes ($8) and mounted it to the grill with a $5 universal trans cooler mount kit from Auto Zone.
Lowering the oil temps will help with oil breakdown, etc., but proper jetting and fuel type, as said before, is the best way to keep this engine cool. I got this cooler because this valvetrain has a lot of friction and makes a lot of heat. I liked the idea of the oil being cooled immediately before being fed to the cam. So far, so good for me.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid196/p2931137c0a8e27111cf9c1604cae15bd/f11a05e6.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid196/p932ccba130f7d45d5f8bdf4d88ead03c/f11a0620.jpg

4everhonda
05-30-2007, 05:27 AM
i just got a secondary oil cooler from C&D racing. It was a Jagg brand one. It works wonders and is direct bolt on, no drilling and tapping is required. Jagg makes tons of oil coolers for all different bikes and especially harley davidsons.

EX LONERIDER
05-30-2007, 06:06 AM
f-16, thanks for the pictures on te install. thats a good shot of it. yours was the one i seen up in another post that seems to fit perfect in the front frame section. i like that.

so... on the routing, didi you just run the oil line from the tank to the cooler, and from the cooler up to the head? thats the way i figure it has to be routed....

JOEX
05-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by 4everhonda
i just got a secondary oil cooler from C&D racing. It was a Jagg brand one. It works wonders and is direct bolt on, no drilling and tapping is required. Jagg makes tons of oil coolers for all different bikes and especially harley davidsons.
My understanding about having to drill, tap & reroute the lines was to get the cooler oil directly to the head where it's most beneficial. May not be neccessary for the average build but could be for the 'mega' builds....

1965 honda
05-30-2007, 09:39 PM
f-16 did you replace your stock cooler with that or did you just add that one on?

1965 honda
05-30-2007, 09:42 PM
joel 400ex i see you are a moderator. are you able to make this thread a sticky thread. it seems like a lot of people ask these qustions over and over.

j450rking
05-30-2007, 09:47 PM
the cbr 1100 oil cooler is pretty good idk the temps it makes but it's not hard to do just some line exstension and line bending and your done

1965 honda
05-30-2007, 09:49 PM
how much bigger is that?

j450rking
05-30-2007, 09:53 PM
here is a pic

JOEX
05-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by 1965 honda
joel 400ex i see you are a moderator. are you able to make this thread a sticky thread. it seems like a lot of people ask these qustions over and over.
I'm assuming you're asking me:o :p

Stickies don't always work. Often times they get forgotten about and over looked because they're always there, if that makes sense. The search function works alot better;)

j450rking
05-30-2007, 09:58 PM
i will look tomorow and see how big it is i think like 7x12 or somthing like that

dariusld
05-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
The search function works alot better;)

You could say that in most of our threads:)

EX LONERIDER
05-30-2007, 10:23 PM
well, the thing about the stickies is that those are the first thing you see on the forum... so maybe BOLD text title would help with that. i was too lazy to look a few posts down (since someone had mentioned there was one posted not even a week ago) instead i used the search button like evryone tells you to and it rendered some results but i also had to read through a bunch of info that didnt really applied. just my .02 cents but i vote for sticky. i figure the average guy like me looking for this modification info in specific will appreciate it being one of the top topics on the page.

as for the CB oil cooler, the only issue i have with it is the mounting method. i mean, me personally i would have used a molded peice of strap iron bent around the cooler insulated in some rubber type foam to absorb between the cooler and strap. then drill two holes at the end of the strap and bolt it to the stock location..... but thats just me. i am anal about final finishes in fabrication and modifications.

j450rking
05-31-2007, 06:44 AM
i am most likly going to do somthing like that i just zip tied it for now.

and i also think this should be a sticky. when i search i only find a few threads with only a few posts that aren't vary detailed most of the time. i have also put this along with other mods in the HOW TO section but just not enough people look at that section.

stickys are nice:macho

EX Stud
05-31-2007, 07:11 AM
someone should try the universal perma-cool one befor i have to spend my money on it....lol

EX Stud
05-31-2007, 07:14 AM
sorry turns out F16guy's is that one that i mentioned...

so how much bigger is it f16guy than the stock one??

ps.. did the oil lines just match up to it?

flauge
05-31-2007, 07:27 AM
I saw a guy using an F150 heater core on his 400 at the last race i went to. I didnt have a chance to look at it long but it looks like he modded the factory oil lines to fit. It was crazy, it looked like a small intercooler. I actually thought he was running turbo for a second.:eek2:

F-16Guy
05-31-2007, 11:05 AM
My cooler is in addition to the stock one. I'll post some more pics of where the fittings are located and where the lines are routed asap.

blasterandy
05-31-2007, 07:23 PM
I didn't read all the way through the thread but, Tudors Performance makes a dual oil cooler thing you can make one on your own just buy a second oil cooler and get the hose to connect em.

1965 honda
05-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by blasterandy
I didn't read all the way through the thread but, Tudors Performance makes a dual oil cooler thing you can make one on your own just buy a second oil cooler and get the hose to connect em.
you should leave a link to that ? it would help.

Wheelie
05-31-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm also running a CBR1100 oil cooler. I made a custom brace above the stock oil tank, and used the CBR's stock mounting tab to mount the cooler. It's added about 6 oz of oil capacity and a very noticable difference in the operating temps of my quad. Over 3 months without any problems. I modified one of the CBR oil lines for a return line and used the stock high pressure line to feed the cooler.