PDA

View Full Version : Legal Riding in NJ

RideBlue
10-17-2002, 12:36 PM
Legal riding in NJ-That's what we would all prefer, isn't it? Well, here are some thoughts on the topic.

For everyone to completely understand what I'm about to discuss will require us to step out of our riding boots and into some others' shoes for a minute.

Let's first look at the government's position on this. Whether you believe it or not, people in office have no desire to provide us with legal riding. Here's why-Elected officials have nothing to gain politically by doing this. They have no desire to please a small minority of the population and we are a small minority. To a non-rider, we are viewed as an irresponsible, disorganized, disrespectful nuisance. Unfortunately, these non-riders comprise the majority of the voting public and Mr. Politician is not going to alienate these people and side with us "outlaws." Add to this the political and financial clout the envirogroups have and we are wasting our time trying to get the state to open up some land. Besides this-Who really wants a government-run riding facility? Registration fees will go up substantially and it will be overregulated as to eliminate anything resembling fun. They may throw us a bone and eventually give us a couple hundred acres to shut us up. Can anyone say NJORVP?

Now, let's look at the private landowner's standpoint. We'll use a popular, but illegal, riding area called Sarco as an example. This could apply to just about any riding area in the state. Mr. Sarco is either a small businessman or a large corporation-it doesn't matter which. A major factor in business is Risk vs. Reward. Currently, with people riding on Mr. Sarco's land, his risk is enormous and reward is nonexistent. That's just bad business and the reason he has the cops throwing everyone out. Even though they are trespassing, they can still list him in a lawsuit in the event of an injury. Even if the injured has no case, it still requires a lawyer which equals $$$ again for absolutely no return. Not to mention the fact of the neighbors calling him to complain about these "damn dirt bikers" making noise and dust and how come he isn't doing something about it. To him, we are a nuisance.

How do we rectify this problem? Easy, but also not easy. Rather than waste time petitioning the government to open up land, why not show Mr. Sarco how he could take this land that is generating no income with huge risk and turn it into something that creates income with minimal risk? Using Tower City or Windrock in Tenn. as examples, if anyone knows the history, this is a place where Off-road enthusiasts have done just that. At TC, all riding had been ceased at the property until two guys went to the landowner with a plan. He was able to take land that was unusable that he pays taxes on and now lines his pockets nicely and assumes minimal risk. It's been so good for him that more of his land will soon become available and he has some big plans for the place. It's a win-win. Now since the owner of TC/WR and the owner of Sarco don't know each other, it is unlikely that Mr. Sarco even knows that something like this could be done. Go to him with a plan whereas he gets a percentage of the membership fees and the new"club" pays the insurance out of the membership fees and I guarantee you he'd be willing to listen.

Sorry to be so long, but I wanted to throw an idea out there that may benefit everyone.

Banshee_Girl
10-17-2002, 12:55 PM
I live in NJ, and I've been to Sarco plenty of times to how many riders actually go there. With so many people and cops, I have a feeling that "Mr. Sarco" knows what he can do with that place, and he wants to turn it into a golf feild. The idea was rejected (almost positive) because of unsuitible land. There may be hope for us NJ riders, but for that to happen, we would need to track down "Mr. Sarco" and really convince him. In the end, maybe something good will come out of it. In my mind, Sarco will never be legal.

ridinmy300
10-17-2002, 12:59 PM
I live in Gloucester County and that sounds like a good idea, but how are you going to follow through with this? Are you planning on getting people and going to his property and telling him what you think or do you have something else planned? We definitely could use some legal riding places because these cops are getting on our backs no matter where we go and it’s really making things hard, especially where I live because njorvp is a good 50min to an hour away and it’s the only place I can go to ride without getting in trouble. So another legal place would be real cool.

optikid123
10-17-2002, 01:00 PM
sarco still makes income i saw them digging by the bowl thw in july:)

QuadTrix6
10-17-2002, 01:10 PM
we need to assinate mr sarco :D

RideBlue
10-17-2002, 03:29 PM
Let me point out that I was using Sarco as an example. It could be any large area that is currently and illegally used for riding.

The fact that Sarco is still being used by the owner for income has no impact on the proposal. Tower City is still used for strip mining and all the owner asks is that we stay out of certain areas. Because of the respect that the members have for our agreement with him, it is adhered to. Having never ridden at Sarco, I have no idea as to it's size or layout or if it would even be suitable.

Again, I was just throwing an idea out there to consider. I've seen it work in other areas and with the proper attitude and approach, it could work here too.

Personally, I only ride where it's legal and I can imagine that it's a whole lot nicer not having to worry about an officer popping around a corner or having a ticket on your vehicle when you get back.

As far as how to approach it-Get a small group organized, search the tax records in the township where it's located and contact the owner and ask to meet him. If it gets past that point and he sounds receptive, you would have to get a lawyer to draw up a lease that works for both parties. I've seen it done and do have someone I could talk to about how they went about it.

Nj400EX
10-17-2002, 04:09 PM
Do a web search for ASARCO Minerals . They are a huge minerals corporation with branches all over the world . I'm sure we can track down the head of the NorthEast branch or something and see what he thinks of our proposal . Good idea Mike (Roscoe) with this whole legal riding areas in Jersey . Lets not just put all our effort towards Sarco though guys . I'm sure some of the guys that live in South Jersey know people who own huge farms , large wooded areas , or just know of large abandonded tracts of land . If we can get some info on the owners and the land they own we may be able to get something started here . Just don't go off on your own and say to some landowner " Hey wouldn't it be cool if you let 1000 quads on your property ? " If we are going to do this we need to do it right and go through the proper procedures . Just my .02

BansheeGirl : Wanna go riding sometime ??? LoL

Roscoe : See you tomorrow brotha hahahahahah

RideBlue
10-17-2002, 05:42 PM
NJ400ex,

I think you know where I got the idea so I take no credit. Just lettin people know what I've seen work before. I just think it's a waste of time trying to do it through the government. Look at PA state parks (exc. Allegheny, which is a National Forest) and there are very few miles of trails considering the size of the state.

Private landowners are definitely the way to go, but there has to be some incentive=$$$$.

See ya tomorrow, Bro and get ready for some good ridin!

and yeah, after reading these boards for so long, it was time to get signed on (even if I do ride blue.) Much better than Bluetraxx.

Banshee_Girl
10-17-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Nj400EX
BansheeGirl : Wanna go riding sometime ??? LoL

Riding, where?? Last time i checked, you couldn't ride in NJ! :(

Nj400EX
10-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Me and Ride Blue ride at Tower City , its in PA . Check out the website and see if you like . Me and Roscoe can show you a damn good day of riding . I'm up there every weekend so just let me know if you wana go sometime http://www.towercitytrailriders.org/

Atreyu
10-17-2002, 07:11 PM
we should get someone from the site to run:D

Atreyu
10-17-2002, 07:46 PM
I dont know how far you are away from sussex county but that's where I ride and no one ever gives you a hard time. I ride the Live and Dead sides of the train tracks. They tae you all the way into deep PA or to the Rockaway mall. Many PLaces to ride here. The NJ laws havent really affected me yet.