PDA

View Full Version : For you electrical geniuses...

rYan01400EX
05-28-2007, 10:32 PM
I need a basic wiring diagram set up or so for a lawnmower... I had an old one and it still runs and all but the wiring is trash, the lights are missing, and the deck has been removed. So, what I need is this..

I know I need a positive battery cable from the battery to the coil, then the coil to the starter.. There are three posts on the coil.. two big, one small.. whats the small post? I know what the other ones do... Anywho, I need a simple two-way ignition I guess. 1 way to start it, the other to kill it. I don't need lights or anything. I need to some how engage the starter and get fire to the ignition module all at once... Here is a pic of what I understand.

rYan01400EX
05-29-2007, 06:52 PM
No one knows?

wvspeedfreak
05-29-2007, 08:17 PM
The small post on the solenoid needs 12 volts from the ignition switch to energize it when it's in the start position.The wire from the module needs to be connected to a ground on the ignition switch to stop the engine when you turn the key to the off position.Edit:Make sure that it is only grounded when the key is in the off position,it works similar to a kill switch on a quad.

rYan01400EX
05-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Alright man, you're smart.. But I have no clue which post on the ignition switch does what? Is there an aftermarket route I can take to get a switch just for what I need?

wvspeedfreak
05-29-2007, 08:28 PM
If you are not planning on using any lights or anything you can use a 2 post push button switch for the starter button and also use another one for an "off" switch.I am not saying that is the correct way to wire something but since you seem to only be concerned with getting it running it will work.

rYan01400EX
05-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Oh yea, you're right. I'm just wanting more of a "play" mower.. nothing too serious... I just need to run the thing :D... Here is what I get from that - let me know if correct.

I need a two post starter button - one wire which will need to go to the coil... Where does the other one need to go?

The toggle switch should have 2 wires - one of which, a ground and then the other to the ignition module.

wvspeedfreak
05-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Run a wire from the + side of the battery to one post on the starter switch then run a wire from the other post to the small post on the solenoid.
You are correct on the kill switch.All that does is ground the ignition module to kill the engine.

rYan01400EX
05-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Thank you so much man... I appreciate it! I have no clue about any electrical problems... at all!